Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Have we done SmartHat yet?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

Very smart

cookeaa

I predict DM some Click-bait about how wonderful new technology will soon allow police to persecute prosecute cyclists for… well, cycling.

Hooray!

cookeaa

Better yet the Aussies are all over this shit!

I especially like this quote from it’s “Designer”…

But Mr King acknowledged the proposal was controversial, saying he would prefer to keep his name out of the public eye in case of any backlash from cyclists against the idea of compulsory registration.

There’s nothing quite like standing by your ideas eh?

GrahamS

I was just reading about that on road.cc
    http://road.cc/content/news/135666-sydney-designer-comes-helmet-licence-plate-indicators-windscreen-wipers-and-more

The guy actually has backing from one (anti-cyclist) councillor.

I’m assuming it is more of a political statement about how awful those lyrca-wearing cyclist-types are, rather than a serious attempt at a product – but it’s hard to be sure!

warton
    Free Member

It’s not very aero, is it?

for that reason, I’m out.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Rotational-injury-tastic 😉

GrahamS

Loving the nice unbiased reporting on that Telegraph/Mosman Dail link.

They have this picture:

With the caption: “Cyclist screaming down the road at around 30-40 km/h when the traffic lights were red.”

Erm… he could certainly do with some lights – but that guy isn’t screaming anywhere!

Bit worrying to see how keen Aussies seem to be on compulsory registration and tax on cyclists.

Especially when we see growing UK support for compulsory helmets, which is where the Aussies started…

vorlich
    Free Member

I WANT IT!!!!

kcr
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s “a political statement about how awful those lyrca-wearing cyclist-types are”. It looks like the complete opposite to me; a satirical dig at negative attitudes to cycling in Australia.
    The smart hat is blatantly overcomplicated and impractical, and would simply discourage people from cycling. It mirrors the way the Australian authorities have discouraged cycling with unnecessary compulsory helmet rules and proposals about registration.

GrahamS

It looks like the complete opposite to me; a satirical dig at negative attitudes to cycling in Australia.

Yeah I wondered that too – but it seems entirely straight-faced and has anti-cyclist politicians and media backing it, so if it was meant to be ironic it has backfired badly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yeah I wondered that too – but it seems entirely straight-faced and has anti-cyclist politicians and media backing it, so if it was meant to be ironic it has backfired badly.

Well, one does wonder…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbq3kc29Tmg[/video]

cookeaa

…if it was meant to be ironic it has backfired badly.

Or succeeded beyond their wildest dreams!

Actually I like, it takes it’s styling queues from the good old ‘Tuff Top’…

Reminds me of a simpler, bygone age when any boy caught wearing one by his peers would be beaten senseless for being a Nancy…

This version goes a stage beyond that by, clearly identifying the wearer to any would be bully with flashing lights and a big old reg’ plate.
    Then of course, post beating their assailant will know exactly where to nick their their phone from, it could probably do with a dinner money compartment for good measure too…

MussEd
    Free Member

Is there an Australian version of The Apprentice on at the moment?

You’re fired..

kcr
    Free Member

“Seems entirely straight-faced”
    Come on, take a look at the number plate, (or the windscreen wipers…)! It doesn’t look very serious to me.

“…has anti-cyclist politicians and media backing it, so if it was meant to be ironic it has backfired badly.”
    That’s not a backfire. Anyone supporting this is going to look daft (see Chris Morris and Cake)

GrahamS

Don’t get me wrong – I really hope that this is some kind of elaborate wind up – but it is just idiotic enough to be true. And a quick read through the comments here shows that plenty of people would support it even if it is a joke! 😯

ads678

I would rather get fat than wear that!

devs
    Free Member

Looks like it could cause severe rotational injuries.

theotherjonv

Who’s respononsible for the copy on the advert; that’s what I want to know.

GrahamS

Check his registation?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

“small warning speaker when the cyclist rides too close to pedestrians”

“in helmet bluetooth display with speaker, full satnav, speedometer, speed zones, temperature, heart rate, tilt sensor, ultrasonic object proximity warning, turn signal indicators, system icons, time”

“batteries”

“provision for an in helmet cooling fan”

“superior comfort and safety in operation”

This HAS to be a paradoy.

ska-49
    Free Member

That thing’s got more kit than most cars.

cookeaa

Nah, a Parody would claim:

“the Smart Hat can Read a wearer’s mind and alert the authorities if He/She is considering a possible breach of traffic laws; the police can then decide to either issue a fixed penalty notice or remotely administer an electric shock directly to the rider’s temples”

GrahamS

UPDATE: Are we still sure this HAS to be a parody?

He’s taking it pretty far if it is:

http://road.cc/content/news/137031-smart-hat-designer-puzzled-cyclists’-negative-response

annebr
    Free Member

Joke or not. I would just not wear it.

Civil disobedience FTW!

moshimonster
    Free Member

King admits that he doesn’t actually ride a bike himself

The guy is mental. This is a joke in one way or another.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Have we done SmartHat yet?’ is closed to new replies.