Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Have we done O2 sending your number to every site you visit yet?
  • IA
    wwaswas

I was pleased to see that Orange don’t when I tried it.

I guess it’s great for anything that’s locative – Starbucks etc can just text you an offer when you visit their site if they think you’re doing a local search – ‘free danish with your coffee if you show us this text’

[although the cynic in me does think it seems like a very good way for this bloke to harvest an awful lot of O2 phone numbers quite easily ;-)]

GrahamS

Just confirmed it on my phone.

Gee thanks O2. Privacy FTW!

defydude
    Free Member
    IanMunro
    Free Member

https://twitter.com/#!/O2 😀

/Bollocks! Too slow!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

No info sent with three

IA

Also, you know O2 resize every image you view and tamper with the HTML in a page when you browse over 3g?

That’s not new though, they’ve been doing it a while. You can change the username in your APN to “bypass” to avoid it though.

z1ppy

Surprisingly my giff gaff which is basically O2, doesn’t seemingly do it.
    😀

GrahamS

Judging by the number of tweets I think O2 are getting the message that people are not very happy about this. 😀

beej

Doesn’t happen for Vodafone, just tried it.

BoardinBob

O2 here and my number doesn’t appear on that script

GrahamS

BoardinBob: you have to be on 3G (not wifi) and not using a clever server-side compressing browser like Opera.

DezB
    Free Member

defydude – Member
    The joys of Twitter…

I wonder if they’re investigating it

Cougar

There’s a nice clear checker at mulliner.org/pc.cgi

Browse to that URL (from your phone, with wifi disabled) – it the light is green, the trap is clean.

BoardinBob

BoardinBob: you have to be on 3G (not wifi) and not using a clever server-side compressing browser like Opera.

On 3G

Using standard installed browser

It shows what type of phone, browser and operating system I’m using, but no mention of mobile number anywhere.

cp

Both sites above checked out fine with T-Mobile and HTC Desire S.

GrahamS

It shows what type of phone, browser and operating system I’m using, but no mention of mobile number anywhere.

Interesting. The Gizmodo UK article does suggest that only some people are hit by it.
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/01/is-o2-giving-your-phone-number-to-every-website-you-visit/

Happens on iPhone and Android, in various browsers, so it is definitely something on O2’s side that is doing it.

Cougar

You can change the username in your APN to “bypass” to avoid it though.

I can confirm this works, on mine at least. It required a reboot to take effect properly though.

I suspect it’ll have a detrimental effect on data usage though, so you might want to change it back after a permanent fix is released.

davidrussell
    Free Member

I can confirm this works, on mine at least.

i tried this cougar inc a reboot and it was still the same. What was your username on the APN? Mine was vertigo. like i say changing it didn’t seem to make a difference

IA

I suspect it’ll have a detrimental effect on data usage though, so you might want to change it back after a permanent fix is released.

Eh, this is nothing to do with the number thing. This is to do with O2 compressing image data over 3G and adding some JS to webpages. It’s been going on a year or 2, the bypass APN *is* the fix.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Just checked it from my O2 iPhone and my number appears. 👿

Cougar

i tried this cougar inc a reboot and it was still the same.

If the APN name is wap.o2.co.uk change it to mobile.o2.co.uk (credit @EwanToo on Twitter).

Cougar

It’s the tip of the iceberg alright. Here’s the iceberg.

http://www.mulliner.org/security/feed/random_tales_mobile_hacker.pdf

kaesae
    Free Member

😆

I’m surprised that your surprised, everything from wiki leaks to this crap is telling us that the service providers, governments and media organisations are out of control.

It’s only going to get worse, enjoy!

WackoAK
    Free Member

Tried from my Jesus phone on O2 and my number does not appear.

Cougar

Looks like it’s now been fixed.

wwaswas

now been fixed.

which makes it look like it was just a config switch somewhere that they’ve decided to flip to ‘safe’, for now.

GrahamS

Yep, seems to be fixed for me.

I wonder if O2 will get a decent telling off from the ICO (doubt it).

I’m surprised that your surprised, everything from wiki leaks to this crap is telling us that the service providers, governments and media organisations are out of control.

🙄

smoothchicken

Just tried it and not showing any info on mine, iPhone 4 Safari on O2, my APN is idata.o2.co.uk

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They’ve responded on twitter…

http://j.mp/MPNblog

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Have we done O2 sending your number to every site you visit yet?’ is closed to new replies.