Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Have we done "Apple Stole My Music"?
  • wwaswas

This is something that shoudl worry anyone who stores original music or .wavs on their computers and might use Apple Music.

When I signed up for Apple Music, iTunes evaluated my massive collection of Mp3s and WAV files, scanned Apple’s database for what it considered matches, then removed the original files from my internal hard drive. REMOVED them. Deleted. If Apple Music saw a file it didn’t recognize—which came up often, since I’m a freelance composer and have many music files that I created myself—it would then download it to Apple’s database, delete it from my hard drive, and serve it back to me when I wanted to listen, just like it would with my other music files it had deleted.

https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

This is the worst bit!

Amber relayed to me that she’s had to suffer through many calls from people who cancelled their Apple Music subscription after the free, three-month trial, only to discover that all of their own music files had been deleted and there was no way to get them back.

njee20
    Free Member

Seems odd. Reckon it’s not that straightforward.

That said, I’ve noticed that tracks I had on my phone are now slightly different versions, presumably Apple Music’s version rather than whatever I had on my computer previously.

chiefgrooveguru

And this is why I’m not keen on cloud based stuff in general! I want to retain physical control of my assets.

leffeboy

That is a bit wow really. I wonder how long it will be before the law catches up because most people never really read the terms and conditions, they just expect reasonable behaviour and deleting originals off of your machine is not reasonable behaviour. I would have expected to be served the matching files if online but the originals on my machine if offline or I selected that option. I would never have expected the originals to just be removed 🙁

Drac

So she didn’t create back ups of all her work?

Oh dear!

njee20
    Free Member

Like I say, I doubt it’s quite that bad. I can’t believe Apple are harvesting all sound files off your hard drive! I will check, mind.

scaredypants

prob did drac – using the icloud 😀

wwaswas

So she didn’t create back ups of all her work?

errm

I recovered my original music files only by using a backup I made weeks earlier

the problem seems to be it continually goes through deleting stuff so it’s all online so even if you restore it’ll just delete it again?

footflaps

the problem seems to be it continually goes through deleting stuff so it’s all online so even if you restore it’ll just delete it again?

Simple solution, just switch off their cloud music corruption service.

Drac

Oh! 😳

I use Apple Music on my phone it’s not linked to my Mac Book, I don’t have that problem.

plyphon
    Free Member

Man, that is bad.

Good job I never had a reason to use Apple Music

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s been a while since I set-up my Apple Music, but I’m pretty certain 1) moving everything to the cloud is optional 2) you have to press a second okay screen to say you understand it’s not reversible.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

There has to be more to this that meets the eye.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I seem to remember similar stories when Apple Music was launched and I’m sure it wasn’t as dark and nefarious as this thread makes out.

I’ve just had a look in iTunes at some music I know I ripped onto my Mac from CD. It’s still there on my hard drive with a modified date of 2011. I would assume if Apple had uploaded and then downloaded it again, the modified date would be much later.

timmys

That story is complete bollocks.

When you sign up to Apple Music it matches/uploads to the cloud but it 100% does not then automatically delete the local copies. If you want to do that then you would have to do it manually.

Idiot is idiot shocker.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

slowoldman

And this is why I’m not keen on cloud based stuff in general!

Me too. All my data is “in house”. Even the back ups which is of course stupid.

DezB
    Free Member

Thing I don’t like with cloud storage is once you buy into it, you’re stuck with it. Once you stop paying the subs, you lose access.
    Bloke who interviewed me for a company that does cloud storage for businesses casually told me how its a great money-spinner for that reason.
    I’m sure Apple don’t remove local files, I’ll check with someone who subscribes.

nickdavies

Yep it happens. Used iTunes for years had all my music stored on nas drive linked to iTunes. When I signed up for Apple Music a couple of months ago with the free trial, it wiped the 30 odd gb off my phone, this is all music ripped from CDs and made me redownload it to listen to it. So fing annoying. I’ve not reattached the nas to my computer yet as I darent in case iTunes wipes that too. I never approved that knowingly.

It’s still playing at it now, I’ve redownloaded things and it will wipe them off again. Great, just what I want when my walk to work is a data black hole…

CountZero

The fact that iTunes Match replaces everything with a nominal 256Kb version is quite enough to put me off!
    I’m fine with any downloads I buy being that bitrate, but everything I rip myself is at 320Kb, sometimes lossless, and I’m damned if I’ll let my music be downgraded.
    Now, if they offered a lossless version, I might be all over that…
    Possibly.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, can you really tell the difference between a 256kb file and a 320? I’d love to do a blind test on that! 😉

zokes
    Free Member

Either I’m lucky, or these people must have very weird settings enabled. I’ve been an Apple Music user here for a while now, and also have ca. 200GB of music locally. I’ve not noticed any of my music missing, and timestamps of random files I’ve just looked at reflects the observation that they’re my originals.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Over the last couple of years Microsoft have offered me what totals to 20GB of free Onedrive space for doing various things with it (auto backup of photos etc)

They changed their mind last week and now I’ve got to get rid of anything over 5GB, pay for more storage or sign up for Office 365. The latter option is free for the first year so I’m just going to do that, and pull everything local, but it’s a case in point of the fact you don’t really own shit in the cloud

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but it’s a case in point of the fact you don’t really own shit in the cloud

Yeah same I got a great deal on a physical storage locker then the put the prices up and like man all my stuff was gone, oh hang on it was just an introductory offer and my stuff was there if I didn’t want to pay I could just remove it. It’s renting HD space somewhere that you can access it 24/7 world wide. You don’t own the space just whats in it.

I changed my card and my google drive dropped off subscription so I was over limit. I could still remove files just not add to them.

seadog101

I would like to know where my tunes have gone to that were formerly on my ipad….

I am currently away at work (drillship, 100 miles from the coast of Guyana) on a very restricted internet connection, so no access to iTunes, youtube, spotify, anything streaming media type things, not even podcasts etc. We can’t even use App store.

Tried to listen to music the other day on ipad… Hmmm Music app is just a blank… Cant sign in to apple ID through it… Checked on the general tab, i have 0 songs, and the amount of spare storage is up by about 10gb.

I have never signed up to Apple Music, not even trialled it. Seems that if you can’t sign in with your Apple ID in the music app then your music, that may or may not have been purchased through Apple, will self destruct.

Somewhat peeved, at least my phone (windows, with 64gb sd card) is trustworthy… I hope.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Itunes will never be allowed near a computer of mine.
    As for streaming, it’s great if you have a good connection but…
    I have a 128gb card in my phone with my music. I despair at the overuse of bandwidth to support the stream everything mentality we have.
    Oh. I forgot. You poor sods who bought into apple have to have itunes and aren’t allowed to add extra storage to your phone. Oh well.
    🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

depends on whether directional speaker cable has been used 😉

Drac

have never signed up to Apple Music, not even trialled it. Seems that if you can’t sign in with your Apple ID in the music app then your music, that may or may not have been purchased through Apple, will self destruct.

As a test I put mine airplane mode, clicked on music, my music and hit play. All the songs I’ve stored are playing. 😀

No need to stream and can take my music with me instead of having to leave it in the car. Of course I could do that too by copying the music to a memory card or usb stick but why would I do that?

Of course I have the added beauty of streaming if I choose to or hear I a track I want to download.

jimdubleyou

Oh. I forgot. You poor sods who bought into apple have to have itunes and aren’t allowed to add extra storage to your phone. Oh well.

Does mean we don’t have the * JOY * of Android killing another SD card though (think I got through 3) or the redonculous file addressing system which means Google Music stores files with random numbers for names.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Does mean we don’t have the * JOY * of Android killing another SD card though (think I got through 3) or the redonculous file addressing system which means Google Music stores files with random numbers for names.

Really? Never had a problem with mine.
    And I won’t touch google music either.

Simple file system store of Artist/Album/Track#-TrackName and I use Rocket Player which is one of the few players that can handle the 11000 tracks comfortably.

Bish bash bosh.

wwaswas

We have a family Spotify account and download and store stuff locally on phones and tablets for playback away from a wi-fi connection.

Clearly you’re only renting the music but that’s pretty much the case with itunes (they just charge you as if you ‘own’ it).

slowoldman

I really don’t get these iTunes issues people go on about. I don’t use Apple Music, all my music is local, iPhone is synched to macbook. Nothing ever gets lost.

DezB
    Free Member

And I’ve never had a problem with iTunes, which is currently handling 25,000 songs without issue, nicely backed up to my SAN.

jimdubleyou

And I won’t touch google music either.

Simple file system store of Artist/Album/Track#-TrackName and I use Rocket Player which is one of the few players that can handle the 11000 tracks comfortably.

Bish bash bosh.

Well, it might have been the Sony implementation, but yes – 3 SD cards rendered unreadable by the phone, or anything else.

I run Apple computers at home, so it was always going to be a struggle getting on with Android and having a reliable sync between the two systems. Tried a couple of apps, but nothing was satisfactory.

I don’t use the “music” streaming service, but I do use “match” or whatever it’s called these days. I have over 6000 songs stored on my mac and mirrored to the match service – phone has about half the stuff downloaded and it will keep as many downloaded as you like. .

It’s not without issues – stuff will get dropped after an upgrade (of either iTunes or the phone), but just being aware that a re-sync might be required has resolved the problem quickly each time.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Itunes will never be allowed near a computer of mine.

Word.
    Same for google music.

Files + a basic player, thanks.

yours,
    mrmf,
    cloud refusnik.

Northwind

It’s a feature, all part of the Apple Experience.

Something my bro says- “everyone says there’s no apple viruses and there’s a reason for that, hackers just can’t compete with apple’s own coders” (I think he came up with that after his Accessory was Not Supported but Apple didn’t sell a suitable genuine accessory he could replace it with)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I work in software. I know what “feature” means.

Northwind

As far as I can tell, Apple are all mountain bikers so when they talk about features, they mean an unexpected obstacle that’ll make loads of people fall off.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

As a test I put mine airplane mode, clicked on music, my music and hit play. All the songs I’ve stored are playing

Conversely, I lined up a load of albums for offline listening on Apple Music when I went to Oz last year. Turned on my iPhone on the ‘plane – in airplane mode of course – and NOTHING played. Nothing.

stilltortoise
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Have we done "Apple Stole My Music"?’ is closed to new replies.