Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Have these xt cranks just become expensive junk?
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Long story short – my son is (or was) racing bmx again this year. We’re on a tight budget. A mate gave us his old cranks as he owed me some money but bike bits are better (well usually).

However, upon getting rid of the old square taper set up (sold to buy suitable chainring and BB) and fitting the new to us set I notice the chainring looks out of shape only to find that actually the tab has snapped off!

Bollocks!

upon closer inspection it looks like they were already cracked there and the chainbolt holes on all 4 look out of shape. Looks like they’ve had a hard time. We didn’t even get a chance to use them, which in hindsight is probably a good thing.

Can the spider be changed or are these cranks now completely useless?

I’m hoping they can be saved but my head says they probably can’t be, so that’ll be the racing season on hold then 🙁

Best just to throw them in the bin? Seems such a waste as the cranks looked to be really good.

scaredypants

how old’s your son ?

may be OK on 3 if the others turn out to sound – after all, the chainrings don’t bear any weight, just transmit his power so if he’s small you may be fine

(… he guessed)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

He’s 16 so I doubt it.

Also, the chainring is a lightweight item so without the 4th it will flex quite a bit. I’m pretty bummed as I can’t afford to buy a new set and I’ve just got rid of the old set up to pay for the chainring and bb.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

I’m afraid they are destined for the bin. I’ve never seen them snap under load only under impact. I’ve got an old set of deores you can have if you send me your address (unless your in leeds in which case your more than happy to pop into the shop and raid the second hand “karma” spare parts bin.

benpinnick

Send me a mail – ben@birdmtb.co.uk – I will send you out some cranks from the parts bin to replace them. Good luck with the racing!

kazafaza
    Free Member

I have some HT2 Deore cranks you can have for postage, can do pics tomorrow if you’re keen on them. Probably best to send me an email – in my profile.

Cheers

Zedsdead
    Free Member

bugger! I did suspect there would be no rescue for them. It really does seem like such a waste as otherwise they look good.

Wow! thanks for the offers of help people – if that’s a genuine offer that would be great! Will it fit into the BB I’ve just fitted? Please excuse my ignorance – the old square taper was about the limit of this modern technology, I stopped upgrading a long time ago…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If any of the above mentioned cranks are 175mm in length (4 arm spider) that would be great! I’m going to assume all hollowtech2 cranks will fit the BB.

If not then any crank length will do to keep him going 🙂

Again, massive thanks for the offers 🙂

kazafaza
    Free Member

My Deore cranks are 175mm, black(small wear marks). Drop me a line to: kazafaza AT gmail.com and we can discuss the details.

Cheers

murf
    Free Member

If none of the above offers are suitable then I have a pair of hollowtech Deore cranks for use with square taper BB’s you can have FOC.

tops5
    Free Member

I ran a set exactly like that for ages my HT with no issues

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Kazafaza, massive massive thanks!!!!!

Cranks arrived an hour ago, about to go out and fit them 🙂

The sun is out and the track is calling. My son is well chuffed!

We’ll keep you posted on how we get on. Next stop Olympics… haha! Maybe? You never know… ye can but dream…

kazafaza
    Free Member

Absolute pleasure, I’m glad that the cranks brought a smile to Zedsdead Jnr’s face!

Nice to see him flying away from the peloton, I must admit though that they never went that far from the ground when fitted to my bike 😉

cyclistm
    Free Member

Can I buy the non drive side crank arm?? Email in profile

Ta

timbur
    Free Member

Stw at its best. Good work all!!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

cyclistm, I’ll check that my mate doesn’t want them back (can’t see why he would now they’re junk). As long as he doesn’t you have it for nowt. At least something may be saved from them 🙂

cyclistm
    Free Member

Cheers, happy to make a contribution to a charity of your choice if we can sort something

Thanks

Ambrose

This sort of thing restores my faith in human kindness. Well done!

chapps123
    Free Member

After just reading another thread with people bickering and insulting each other this thread is brilliant. Hope to see Zedsdead Jnr at the Olympics.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Drumry bmx track , never got that much air 🙂

Dickyboy

Great thread – well done to all concerned 🙂

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hi cyclistm, can you send me your address and I’ll get the crank posted off to you.

Cheers

🙂

cyclistm
    Free Member

Only just caught up with this. Thanks I’ll email you in a bit.thanks

cyclistm
    Free Member

Hi zedsdead, did you get my email?

Thanks

Zedsdead
    Free Member

hello again! Sorry, I shall check – it’s yours if you want it 🙂

Zedsdead
    Free Member

No mail from you? I’ll try emailing you

cyclistm
    Free Member

Hi, have replied to your email, hopefully you’ll get this one

Thanks

Earl
    Free Member

Wicked!
    So different from mumsnet.

cliffyc
    Free Member

STW smashes it out of the ground again. Nice work people! 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Have these xt cranks just become expensive junk?’ is closed to new replies.