Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Have the nettles started dying back yet?
  • jekkyl

Have they fffflip.
    Out today amongst this delightful mix of nettles & brambles hidden amongst pretty pink flowers. Beautiful but deadly.

Some tracks are seasonal, clearly too early for this one.

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve noticed some are less potent… but no visible decline as yet 😐

obelix
    Free Member

I itch just looking at that…

M6TTF
    Free Member

having tripped whilst out running, and barrel-rolled into nettles, I steer clear. Having your entire back covered in stings is not pleasant. I felt like i was vibrating for 2 days!

mtbfix

Ours seem to have had a power-up after a stint of rain followed by warm weather. I’m hoping it’s their last hurrah. Pity that the brambles won’t be going anywhere…

ahwiles
    Free Member

if you had time to stop for a photo, surely you had time to get a stick and do 5mins whacking*?

just a thought…

(*the weeds you fool!)

brassneck

After last night, a categoric no. And they seem to be unusually virulent at the moment.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Out today amongst this delightful mix of nettles & brambles hidden amongst pretty pink flowers. Beautiful but deadly

The pretty pink flowers are Himalayan Balsam – an invasive species.

You should whack them and leave the indigenous nettles alone.

dknwhy

The pretty pink flowers are Himalayan Balsam – an invasive species.

You should whack them and leave the indigenous nettles alone.

Another migrant hater

cakefacesmallblock

Got nettle stung and bitten about twenty times last night. Only on a canal side jolly to the pub too.
    Roll on winter.
    😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Legs are throbbing from tonights jaunt , so nope, not here and the gorse is covered in lovely little yellow flowers , which are bushing out and the killer spikes and loving human flesh to stab. 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

After last night, a categoric no. And they seem to be unusually virulent at the moment

This!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Friston nettles are doing their best Triffid venom impressions at present, end of season dehydration=poison concentration

mattyfez

You all need to man up!

I think I’m pretty much immune to nettles, well maybe not immune but my brain now ignores the stings!

gravitykids
    Free Member

I love nettles. I got stung so much when I was a kid that they don’t bother me now.

Always makes me smile when people freeze in terror at the sight of them.

mtbfix

Always makes me smile when people freeze in terror at the sight of them.

There speaks someone who never had to coax a 5yo through overhanging stingers.

colournoise

Slowly dying back round here, but sadlythat’s going hand in hand with them moving from ‘irritating’ to ‘nuke those legs from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure’.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

As much as I look forward to dry (not really been that dry this year) summer riding the nettles and the like ruin a lot of the good off road routes round here. They turn single track in to an almost impossible tight rope route. I’ve avoided certain trails as they are too heavily overgrown, shame really.

As for knocking them back, my favourite downhill single track is about a mile long and overgrown the whole way.
    As soon one else said in looking forward to autumn when they die back and I can enjoy the trails around here again.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Where is it MM?

senorj

I think they try extra hard to be more venomous at the end of the season.
    Similarly,the first sting in spring is always as extreme.
    Bastids.

mattyfez

I belive a lot of plants become more *ahem* potent towards the end of thier lives, it’s a reproduction thing, the longer they can deter being eaten the longer they can flower for, more chance of passing genes on.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Have the nettles started dying back yet?’ is closed to new replies.