Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Have supermarket, will iDiet
  • molgrips
    Free Member

No canteen at this site, so all I have is the Asda across the road. I do have a fridge though.

So I’ve bought baby leaf salad, chickpeas, chicken, some spicy salad dressing and a food box, and made a salad. Then to fill me up before my ride tonight I’ve got some pakoras and bhajis.

Quite pleased with this.

Anyone else got tips for supermarket iDiet lunches?

soobalias
    Free Member

throw the salad dressing, the pakoras and bhajis in the bin.

whats in the food box?

molgrips
    Free Member

Food box meaning a box from which to eat and in which to store leftovers.

There’s a small amount of wheat flour in the pakoras and bhajis, and some sugar probably in the dressing but I used about half a tsp so I’ll let that go.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Personally I read the iDiet sheet and then go buy some chocolate muffins and strawberries.

ton

tinned mixed beans
    chorizo sliced or whole
    scotch eggs
    cooked chicken breast
    olives
    cherry toms
    hummus
    nuts
    seeds

all of the above is what my daily lunch is made up from, in some for or another.
    current weight loss 3stone 4lbs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nuts are deadly, I’ve found. At least peanuts are. I am a bit of a picky eater, salads are borderline but I wish I liked boiled eggs and olives.

Mooly
    Free Member

What about Bombay mix?

molgrips
    Free Member

Bombay mix is just about the only thing on the shelf with more calories than nuts.

dooosuk
    Free Member

What else can be snacked on besides nuts…I hate nuts 🙁

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

tend to use soup for lunch – today’s was homemade lentil and bacon.

if you have the time, there’s a nice recipe for oven baked onion bhajis kicking about somewhere.

I also tend to make falafels to take with me if I’m heading out for the day – BBC website has a good recipe, although I’ve tinkered with it a bit over time.

shredded carrot with pesto and pine nuts is lovely. you can also add cashew nuts for a bit more protein.

homemade coleslaw – red cabbage, onion and carrot. I occasionally add celery and walnuts, and I recently made some with a bit of curry powder in the mayo for a change of taste.

Clobber
    Free Member

+1 for homemade soup packed full of beans/lentils, make a big batch Sunday and eat it all week, just the job and filling as long as you’ve got enough pulses in it.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

ive just had some salmon as a snack…im on day 2 of said diet…made some humus last night and cocked up some refried beans…both not that snackable….dont mind eggs or olives which is good…

loum
    Free Member

Fish – Depending on how close you sit to your colleagues and whether you eat at your desk, to determine what you can get away with. 😉
    All supermarkets do smoked mackerel, smoked salmon, and prawns ready to eat. Go great on a salad or with ton’s list above, but don’t buy to big a pack of the fresh stuff at a time.
    Get some tinned mixed beans, chickpeas, tuna, sardines, or mackerel fillets for the cupboard too so you’re not walking over their every day. But watch out for sugars in the sauces, not all supermarkets/brands put it in. Less trips avoids the temptation to buy crap on each visit.
    And use the hot counter for chicken portions and similar.
    But that foodbox idea’s great, good luck.

donsimon
    Free Member

Anyone else got tips for supermarket iDiet lunches?

There’s a small amount of wheat flour in the pakoras and bhajis, and some sugar probably in the dressing but I used about half a tsp so I’ll let that go.

Stop kidding yourself. If the idave diet prohibits certain foods, you’re not allowed to let things go and expect it to work.
    Gram flour flatbreads and peanut butter is pretty awesome.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

scotch eggs

i thought sausage meat was out as it contains breadcrumbs?

not that i’m being picky, i’m just still bitter that sweetcorn and baked beans are out.

molgrips
    Free Member

Stop kidding yourself. If the idave diet prohibits certain foods, you’re not allowed to let things go and expect it to work

Well the instructions are that if you let a few things go, it only makes it slightly less effective. What do you think the GI of a bhaji is? I bet it’s still pretty damn low.

Not sure you understand the principles here.

soobalias
    Free Member

not sure you understand the application of principles here molgrips.

wasnt it you that jumped on the thought that you ‘needed’ to eat sweets and drink sports drinks before even the slightest exercise….. yet were baffled when you dont lose weight.

think you might need to revisit first principles,
    1. ingest less than you use
    2. be honest with yourself

philconsequence
    Free Member

tins of tuna are my emergency food, pretty damn filling and its all protein and fibre, no sugars or other carbs.

well they were my emergency food until i started on the sugar again and no i dont really follow the diet well at all… being honest i never followed it 100% properly to begin with, but i’m worse at it now.

less than 2 months til my wedding… can i survive on protein shakes and tins of tuna until then?

matt_bl
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

less than 2 months til my wedding… can i survive on protein shakes and tins of tuna until then?

Yes, but you’ll smell pretty rank by the time you walk down the aisle.

Matt

philconsequence
    Free Member

thats what Lynx Africa is for surely?

soobalias
    Free Member

lynx as a breath freshener is pretty ‘core

but a wedding is pretty special i guess.

brassneck

I’m not following the plan, but houmous makes more or less anything edible. I’m eating houmous and broccoli, carrot sticks and oatcakes most lunchtimes these days, and it works out cheap too. Occasionally sub in cottage cheese with pineapple on oatcakes.

Shame you don’t like olives, Asda do a nice little snacking tub for a pound. You should wean yourself on to them!

molgrips
    Free Member

Vom!

Yeah it’s a shame I don’t like them, I wish I did. But they taste so nasty! And with all that vinegary shite they come in.. blach

Also not keen on humous, but that is more likely to change than the olive thing.

soobalias
    Free Member

3. accept that the word taste is interchangable with the word habit

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

sooballis +1

jamest
    Free Member

Today I hadn’t prepped anything at home so went to Asda. Bought a small bag of coleslaw veg (just add Mayo job, 75p). Instead I added a load of hummous and ate with a cooked chicken leg. Most supermarket bhajis are out as they contain loads of wheat flour and other junk (authentic Indian ones don’t) poppadums are usually a good crisp replacment though obv read the ingredients. Snacks include peanut butter on carrots or celery, small packets of beef or ham, tins of tuna.

philconsequence
    Free Member

those little ‘microwave in the bag’ packets of veg are good with a tin of tuna too. hot meal – 0 processed carbs.

Sandwich

Judging by other threads here you could lose anything between 90 and 250 pounds.

I thank you!

jamest
    Free Member

It’s a fairly simple formula of eating mostly plants and animals in their many forms, and making food from scratch instead of accepting the gunk that the man peddles for convenience. This last one inolves reading things properly. I recently learned that the xanthum gum that my chilli sauce contained was in fact made from fermented glucose, not what i want in chilli sauce. I have seen a paleo BBQ sauce somewhere and will make some of that

Frankers
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

not sure you understand the application of principles here molgrips.

wasnt it you that jumped on the thought that you ‘needed’ to eat sweets and drink sports drinks………..

Are sports drinks out before riding then? I lose all energy about 60-90mins into a ride if I don’t have a mixed sports drink before a longish ride

emsz
    Free Member

I’ve had porridge today so far

donsimon
    Free Member

Not sure you understand the principles here.

Genuine LOL at the retort.
    *Wanders off to look for an Atkins forum to see if a bit of pasta will be ok*
    *Just wanders off…*

lambchop
    Free Member

What’s deadly about peanuts, or are you talking about the salted/dry roasted type which are probably chock full of some nasties? Raw monkey nuts are my go to snack, eat loads of ’em every day and have lost 2 stone on my idave lite version.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s deadly about peanuts

Allergy or self restraint.

brassneck

Yeah it’s a shame I don’t like them, I wish I did. But they taste so nasty! And with all that vinegary shite they come in.. blach

I was exactly the same, but a colleague just kept offering me them for around a year. A real acquired taste but I cannot get enough of them now, to the point I’m an embarrassment at parties with nibbles 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve had porridge today so far

Did you just get up ???

I’ve had:

3 Weetabix
    A packet of crisps
    Can of coke
    2 Oranges
    Coronation Chicken Sandwich
    Some grapes

and still to have

an apple
    Homemade chicken supreme with rice

Youve got to love not idieting and still loosing weight 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Don, the point is to minimise insulin production. You can’t eliminate it. A tiny bit of sugar or flour here and there adds a tiny bit to the GI of a food, resulting in a tiny bit more insulin. A big plate of potatoes on the other hand adds a LOT of insulin, being high GI and GL.

I would wager a sausage with a bit of wheat in it is still pretty low GI.

Which is why I had sausage and egg for breakfast, with some beans (yes, I know)

Some chicken for lunch and an un-sweetened latte

And a chickpea/chicken salad for dinner.

There are off-diet things in there, but overall it’s significantly lower GI than a normal diet I reckon.

cb

Can you all now strip paint with your breath? Unwanted side effect – or so I’m told (from a distance…) from my idiet lite. In truth, the biggest gain for me has been the ‘think before you eat it’ principle. Still eat crap, just a whole lot less than before. 1 stone lost in 6 weeks (its a start!)

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

im 3 days into it and some of these posts are really helpful…off back to the gym tonite and ill see what my energy is like

molgrips
    Free Member

Unwanted side effect – or so I’m told (from a distance…) from my idiet lite

Sounds like not enough carbs to me. If you don’t eat enough carbs (fast or slow) then your body uses protein to make its own, called ketosis. The side effect of this is bad breath!

I found I needed a lot of beans and root veg to avoid this, and if I was exercising a lot then I had to eat more fast carbs than the diet suggests.

However, many people say that ketosis is not really bad for you and could in fact be very good for you. It does certainly shift the lbs.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Is-Your-Low-Carb-Diet-Giving-You-Bad-Breath.htm goes into more detail even though it’s Atkins orientated. Eat more slow carbs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Have supermarket, will iDiet’ is closed to new replies.