Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Have reverb stealths got any better?
  • dknwhy

Bought a bike last year (april) which came with a reverb stealth. It’s started to sag.
    I can send it back to bike-discount.de to look at but I’m wondering if it’s worth the hassle of disconnecting, posting, installing etc for the same issue to occur in a few months?

Has the sag issue been solved on newer models?

DickBarton

Unsure…I’m on my 3rd in 51 weeks…replacement is about 5 weeks old…and it has started a sag routine already…it drops about 5mm when I sit on it…when riding over lumpy stuff and I’m seated, I can feel and hear a wee knock as the post moves the 5mm…

This isn’t like the usual sag issue though – I’ve had that 3 times over the years…been using the Reverb since 2011 (so 2 bikes) – apart from buying a new bike, I’ve had 8 (I think) and only paid for 2 of them…

paladin

got mine last july, done about 600miles offroad on it and it stiil works like new…

dknwhy

Cheers, i’ll chance sending it back.
    Do they normally expect the full assembly or can I just detach the post and leave the remote on the bars and cabling running through the frame?

Lucas
    Free Member

In the same position, probably worth sending it back but its a hassle to take the remote off etc…..

daver27
    Free Member

the newest one is meant to resolve the sagging issue that has just been released.

Mine is starting to sag now after a few months and i have been so careful with it, never lifted by the seat etc. they are just rubbish.

thankfully this year there seems to be a lot of decent alternatives coming out.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do they normally expect the full assembly or can I just detach the post and leave the remote on the bars and cabling running through the frame?

Last time I left the hose on the bike, and bingo, they sent a whole new one. Now have a spare hose and lever assy.

Trimix
    Free Member

I want a stealth, but don’t want the hassle of taking the whole thing apart for its inevitable “service”.

So I ordered that new Magura Dropper that’s remote control. Then there are no hoses to thread through the frame.

Only problem so far is I ordered it in Nov and its still not here 🙁

dknwhy

I’ll chance just sending back the post then and see what happens.
    Cheers all!

daver27
    Free Member

you’ll generally always get a new one from Fishers as its actually cheaper for them to replace the whole unit compared the time cost of stripping and rebuilding the broken one.

pipiom
    Free Member

They are having difficulty dealing with returns ATM. Mine’s with them and I’ve been told spares to fix are 3-4weeks/new post 1-2. I’m having a new one,but this shows the amount being returned( I’ve got 2 perfect? ones and this one which had required numerous bleeds. (2years old)

dknwhy

This is going back to bike-discount.de so hopefully will be a bit faster…

beano68
    Free Member

Ive been waiting a month already for my warranty replacement only to find out that the new 2016 stealth wont fit my frame as they had modified it ! so now been told I’ve got to wait upto 2 months for the 340mm post … very friccin annoying !

btw … I’m on my 3rd stealth in 14 months

DickBarton

Beano…what size and length are you needing?

soundninjauk

Took my bike to the shop for its first proper service in 18 months or so, they spotted some play and managed to send off an old style one and get a new style back (with ‘Reverb’ printed at the top of the post) in less than two weeks.

pickle
    Free Member

So still sounds like people are willing to spend around £200 for an item that everyone knows isn’t fit for purpose then?

soundninjauk

Well, mine came on the bike. Works brilliantly when it’s working. I never noticed any problems with it when just riding along, but thought better safe than sorry when the guy in the shop suggested it.

pdV6
    Free Member

Mine’s just packed in after ~66wks on the bike.
    Had been perfect until a week ago when it started sagging by about 5mm.
    Checked the pressure – it had dropped to about 170psi so pumped it back up to 250.
    Now sagging by about 25mm and the lever is reluctant to pop out.

Bleed time? Warranty time?

Trimix
    Free Member

My current one has lasted about 2 years – no problems. Ridden about 4-2 times a week all year.

I think the issue is you only hear of those with problems, so assume they are crap.

I treat them like disposable items and don’t bother servicing them. The service costs about £70 whereas a new online external one is about £160. So two years of use and no sign of a problem for £160 is fine by me.

Anyway – as to your issue, if its in warrant Id send it back. If not try a bleed.

davosaurusrex

Mine is getting on for 4 years old, started dropping a bit in the last few months so just had a full rebuild at South Coast suspension for £65, working perfick again now. Grant at SC wasn’t very complimentary about reverb reliability in general (seems I got lucky) but he said the new B1 models have really good SKF seals and he isn’t expecting to see many of them in for repair.

benpinnick

No B1s back so far, but its too early to tell in reality.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

To be honest, if any of mine were exhibiting the slightest bit of a drop, I’d be sending back now.
    Simply because they appear to be replacing all those old model returns with the B1 model 🙂

beano68
    Free Member

Sent mine back again (3rd one in 14 months) already been waiting 4 months for the B1 model, only because the new B1 they sent doesn’t fit into the frame due to the new mod.

So now waiting on the 340mm one, been informed that it’ll be another 2 weeks 🙁

dave32
    Free Member

When I bought my knew bike the one it came with sagged a little straight off, sent it back got a new one over 12 months ago and touching wood it’s not had any problems.

pdV6
    Free Member

Rightho. Warranty time then.

pdV6
    Free Member

Bike’s going in to the LBS today for service & warranty on the reverb, so I gave it a bit of a clean last night.

The post is now dropped to the bottom, won’t stay up at all and the BB is covered in fluid, so I’m guessing the post’s decided to leak all its oil out.

Fingers crossed for a replacement.

muddy9mtb

in terms of reliability they dont seem to be getting any better? hit and miss, got 2 Reverbs and they have both been replaced. its the same for all my mates with some having them replaced twice! think it’s safe to say it’s a 2 year warranty and you will need it. However all things considered I couldn’t do without it

doubledunter
    Free Member

My stealth packed up after 10 month,sent back to Stif who forwarded onto Fisher, 6 weeks later I got the updated one, seems fine atm 😆

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Just had mine replaced with a B1 and it’s fine so far. Two rides in….

wiggles
    Free Member

Sell the new replacement and buy a fox transfer

Northwind

dknwhy – Member

Bought a bike last year (april) which came with a reverb stealth. It’s started to sag.
    I can send it back to bike-discount.de to look at but I’m wondering if it’s worth the hassle of disconnecting, posting, installing etc for the same issue to occur in a few months?

Before you do anything else, people are quick to assume a fault and I can see why but a good bleed often cures a sagging reverb.

tillydog
    Free Member

… a good bleed often cures a sagging reverb.

I’ve noticed you’ve said this before – Do you mean bleeding the remote using the bleed points on the lever and at the top of the post? Or something more?

(I can’t see how bleeding the remote could possibly have any effect on the sag, since it is separate to the up/down workings of the post.)

Northwind

Basically it’s 2 different things; the workings can fail and cause sag, but also if the lever isn’t working correctly it can allow the post to move. It manifests fairly similarly but it’s unconnected.

tillydog
    Free Member

Ahh! Crossed purposes then, sorry. To clarify:

Sag as in post creeping down under weight = worth trying a remote bleed.

Sag as in post sinking when loaded, but springing back afterwards (“springy”, “spongy”, “bouncy”, etc. at full extension) = Internal oil/air problems (rebuild/warranty).

I had always assumed that people meant the latter, when they said “sag”, but you know what happens when one assumes…:)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Have reverb stealths got any better?’ is closed to new replies.