Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Have I got this right?… driving without road tax…
  • Legoman
    Free Member

I’m in the process of recommissioning my 1973 Fiat 500 and it’s currently on SORN and has no MOT.

I think I can drive it on the road without tax, as long as I’m going directly to a pre-booked MOT test. Is that right? DVLA website doesn’t seem to clarify.

Cheers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It still has to be insured to get you to and from the testing station

lasty
    Free Member

YES – in a nutshell, must be within reasonable distance,

AND…….. must be insured.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

As I understand, car must be insured, but direct to MOT centre & also from there to a repair centre if it fails MOT, is legal.

Legoman
    Free Member

Cool – insurance is no problem, it’s just the Tax/MOT thing I wasn’t sure about.

Ironically it qualifies for free tax, but you still have to go through the same process to get a free disc.

Thanks for the help.

andyl
    Free Member

make sure you book it in for the MOT and don;t just use a drive in one just in case you get stopped as then they can call the garage to confirm.

Also make sure the garage knows it’s SORN.A garage nicely parked one of mine on a public road after the MOT despite me telling them it was SORN and the guy doing the MOT must have been doing a good job to miss the absence of tax disc 🙄 (I ended up paying to get the clamp removed and jumping through hoops to avoid a further fine from the DVLA).

Legoman
    Free Member

good point andyl – hadn’t thought of that and the garage I’m using does park cars on the road. Cheers.

Dickyboy

Ironically it qualifies for free tax, but you still have to go through the same process to get a free disc.

amusing when they ask if you want 6 or 12 months at the posite though 🙂

Drac

amusing when they ask if you want 6 or 12 months at the posite though

They don’t do 6 months for cars that require £0 tax.

I’m shcoked that no one as pointed out the obvious mistake in the thread title.

Dickyboy

they probably don’t do it for bikes that require £0 tax either, but my brother still got asked which he wanted when he taxed my dads old bike

dazz
    Free Member

If it fails the MOT & you don’t go directly to a repair centre, then technically you can’t drive it home legally

just saying is all 😀

ir_bandito
    Free Member

no one as pointed out the obvious mistake in the thread title.

that its not tax, its excise duty?

footflaps

Unless the OP was born pre 1937 and still thinks we have Road Tax…..

v8ninety

If it fails the MOT & you don’t go directly to a repair centre, then technically you can’t drive it home legally

I should imagine if you are going to do the repairs at home, then it would be ok. (I could be wrong, and it wouldn’t be the first time…)

dazz
    Free Member

iirc it has to be a pre arranged “proper” place

mikewsmith
    Free Member

amusing when they ask if you want 6 or 12 months at the posite though

They used to I think, a mate of mine finally got a knackered antique horse box back on the road after many attempts (blow ups on the way to mot etc) when asked if he wanted 6 or 12 months he asked for the special red ribbon to attach it with – went over their heads

v8ninety

iirc it has to be a pre arranged “proper” place

Define ‘proper’ tho; my old mans workshop would put some backstreet garages to shame, it’s just that it exists for love, not money. Would be difficult to argue either way, I think.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Have I got this right?… driving without road tax…’ is closed to new replies.