Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Have I got all the (integrated?) headset parts I need? Advice please. Incl. Pics
  • pealy
    Free Member

I recently bought a 2nd hand frame so that I can upgrade to disc and the chap I bought it from gave me what I hope are all the necessary parts for the headset. It seems to be integrated and one of the parts is branded FSA which fits with the bike it used to be, a Boardman XC Pro (Titter ye not, I don't care if it did come from Halfords!)

I have three bits. as in the picture, I think the two leftmost make up the top (the leftmost has a rubber part underneath) and although I think the third must go on the bottom I'm thinking there should probably be another bit.. I realise I don't have the top cap which would fit into the start spangled thingy but I hope to use the one from my old forks.

Bits
    Top of Head Tube
    Full Head Tube

stoney
    Free Member

I assume the bearings are in the head tube? If so then you have enough parts there….bar the top cap.

I just bought a Ridley Dean (darkside TT frame) with an int headset and there are only 5 parts to it (excluding top cap).

Far right is the top seal cap, mid is the wedge which sits between the steerer tube and top bearing and far left is the fork crown race.

Hope this helps…..

pealy
    Free Member

"Far right is the top seal cap, mid is the wedge which sits between the steerer tube and top bearing and far left is the fork crown race."

Really? I was convinced it was the other way round? So the bit with FSA written onto it goes upside down on the forks?

walleater

Far right looks like the fork crown race to me!

stoney
    Free Member

Sorry got my L and R mixed up there 😳

Dont follow directions from me ❗

jond
    Free Member

FWIW a couple of sisters I knew used to direct each other in the car by 'watch' and 'bracelet' for left and right 😉

0091paddy
    Free Member

Middle goes into right bit, FSA part goes on top. Will all be together once the fork is on.

I think!

DezB
    Free Member

No no no.
    Right is the crown race. Needs to be bashed onto the fork steerer.
    Middle (gold) is the compression wedge (it's upside down in your pic) – does over the steerer once the forks are in place.
    Then right (the FSA bit) goes on top.
    Followed by spacers and stem.

0091paddy
    Free Member

I'm getting the scale wrong, that crown race looks a bit bigger than what I've seen before.

pealy
    Free Member

I'm going with DezB's advice! Thanks for the input everyone.

wwaswas

My wife hold out her hand with the index finger and thumb extended and the other three tucked away. If it makes a letter 'L' she knows it's her left hand.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Have I got all the (integrated?) headset parts I need? Advice please. Incl. Pics’ is closed to new replies.