Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Have I got a PC virus?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Task manager showing 25%CPU useage when no applications/programmes running. Have run AVG full scan but nothing found. Any recommendations/solutions?
    Cheers

allthepies
    Free Member

Go to the task manager "processes" tab and sort on highest CPU (click on the CPU heading until it shows highest CPU process at the top).

What are the top 3 most consistent highest CPU usage processes ?

cranberry
    Free Member

Most likely is that you have a load of junk running on startup – how many icons do you have in the bottom right hand side?

Download CCleaner and give your PC a spring clean, also go to the tools and look at how many applications are starting up automatically each time you boot the PC.

hitman
    Free Member

its bizarre, if I go to task manager and close all applications, the cpu useage is still showing at 25%!!
    any solutions??

fubar
    Free Member

Vista ? (XP or 7)….I just know thta vista does stuff in the background…e.g. 'indexes' the file system and does defrags in the background..
    You need to have a look at all the tasks /processes and services and see where it is going (goodle the process names) and see if it is legit….you can get better task managers e.g. 'process explorer' to get a better view of what is going on.

allthepies
    Free Member

>its bizarre, if I go to task manager and close all applications, the cpu useage is still showing at 25%!!
    any solutions??

As per my post above, click on the processes tab, sort by CPU and post up the 3 most consistently high CPU process names.

samuri
    Free Member

its bizarre, if I go to task manager and close all applications, the cpu useage is still showing at 25%!!
    any solutions??

Don't use windows?

Use fubar's (edit: and allthepies – sorry) suggestions, you can see which process is grabbing all the CPU (open task manager, click processes tab, click the cpu bar at the top twice to order in descnding order), make a note of the processes that are garbbing it all.

anti-virus or firefox is my guess.

GrahamS

Your PC using 25% CPU while "idle" is not necessarily a bad thing. It could just be getting on with stuff (background indexing, virus scan, defrag etc) while your not using for anything much.

It's only a bad thing if it continues to use 25% of the CPU while you are actively using it and want 100% of the CPU for your own task (e.g. games).

sweepy
    Free Member

AVG slowed my old pooter down loads when I updated to later version.

hitman
    Free Member

thanks everyone – managed to sort this, its a file management system that seems to run in the background whether I start it up or not!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Have I got a PC virus?’ is closed to new replies.