Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Have I done well on my new build?…..
  • konaman
    Free Member

Almost finished my new build, would love to know if you think ive done well for the price. Spent between £690 and £710 in total.

2006 Specialized Enduro Frame with Fox DHX5 Air Shock.
    2008 Fox 32 Float RL 140mm
    2009 Shimano XT Crankset
    2010 XT 9 Speed Rear Derailler
    2010 Double XT Front Mech
    Few years old LX Shifters
    2009 Tektro Auriga brakes with Shimano 203mm Centrelock rotors F+R
    Simple Bontrager Seatpost
    Bit tatty WTB Saddle
    2008 WTB Speeddisk All Mountain Wheelset
    Brand new Specialized 70mm Stem
    Specialized OS Mid Rise Bars

No pics yet im afriad as forks are yet to arrive.

rs
    Free Member

well you failed with your new build thread, wait till you have pics!

RealMan
    Free Member

Sounds pretty good. When will it be finished?

konaman
    Free Member

Hoping tomorrow 🙂 Depends how quick the postal services get my forks here!

robhughes
    Free Member

thought the 06 frames where built around a 160 fork??

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

2009 Tektro Auriga brakes2009 Tektro Auriga brakes

Overall the build sounds like really good value. But the brakes are a real budget faff-fest IME. Slightly more money gets way more feel, less squeal, more reliable. They dont lack stopping power even at 160 but 203 should have your eyes popping out – but you may find them a bit on-off.

Bleeding them is easy, but I think you could spend more time on them than is worth it. On a budget I’d consider upgrading the front only.

konaman
    Free Member

The 06 frames were built around a talas 150 fork but im keeping it slightly more xc friendly. and thanks for the info on the brakes, i know theyre cheap but they do work well with the 203 rotors

swoosh
    Free Member

oh, what’s occuring?! – You say you wanted to keep it more XC orientated but then you stick on

2008 WTB Speeddisk All Mountain Wheelset

and

2009 Tektro Auriga brakes with Shimano 203mm Centrelock rotors F+R

. I just dont get it, why stick huge DH sized rotors on it and an All Mountain wheelset if you want it XC? And thats even before you mention the Enduro frame and (presumeably) a double chainset and bash!

I hate all this ‘All Mountain’, ‘Trail’ classification of riding. I ride local trails which are fairly flat and not very techy and Peak District stuff, all of which I call XC so if your classification of XC is like mine, I’d hate to ride that bike.

For the money you have done very well, for the intention i would say fail.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

swoosh

For the money you have done very well, for the intention i would say fail.

sailor74
    Free Member

will this mean you will have to change your forum name?

konaman
    Free Member

the wheelset was local and cheap in mint condition and isnt exactly heavier than my old mavic xc rims. the double chainset is because I had a double front mech come with the frame and simply havent had chance to get a 3 speed mech, ive still got the big chainring ready to go on.
    well im glad i did ok for the price, but the intention was on having a bike which is light enough for my local xc rides but capable enough for a trail ride.
    OK ill admit the rotors are a bit big but hey ho, they were cheap and have good feel in them

konaman
    Free Member

yep forum name is wrong!!!!! 🙁

bellerophon
    Free Member

Build looks alright, great price.

well im glad i did ok for the price, but the intention was on having a bike which is light enough for my local xc rides but capable enough for a trail ride.

Not wanting to get into an argument, but can I ask what is different between a local xc ride and a trail ride?

konaman
    Free Member

xc ride i would class as my local bridleways,footpaths etc and trail ride is red or black route technical stuff.

donsimon
    Free Member

The 06 frames were built around a talas 150 fork but im keeping it slightly more xc friendly.

So what are my 100mm SIDs for then? 140mm for XC, holy freakin cow! I’ll wait for the pictures… 😆

swoosh
    Free Member

jimbo, i think you need to see the doctor about that wee of yours. Looks a bit of a funny colour to me.

konaman
    Free Member

don simon, i said “slightly” 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Comprendo, as in making sweet love is slightly less arduous than sticking pins in my eyes. 😉

bellerophon
    Free Member

xc ride i would class as my local bridleways,footpaths etc and trail ride is red or black route technical stuff.

Hmm, I class all of that xc..

So what are my 100mm SIDs for then?

All the above

Don’t get me wrong I’m not dissing your choice your choice of forks\bike build; fwiw I’m currently riding a Genesis Abyss 140mm forks, before that a Commencal Meta4 100mm, riding all the above – the Meta4 was ace, but then so was its geometry.

Looking forward to the pictures 🙂

cb

How much did you pay for the frame if I may ask? I may be breaking a bike soon that has a mint 2005 Enduro frame with newer everything else – no idea how much to ask!

konaman
    Free Member

paid £265 inc shock, both mechs, seatpost and a bb. think i got a sweet deal there.

konaman
    Free Member

eventually forks came so could take some pics…
    still uploading so should be visible soon!

few tingles to sort but it rides nicely 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Thought it’d be a bit under-forked to be honest. Could be ok but to my mind, a stronger frame gives you a reason to add a big heavy fork.. which are wonderful things on the whole 🙂

wwaswas

the zip ties clash with your garden furniture 😉

alpin
    Free Member

slack chain!

lose some links or you’ll be constantly losing the chain….!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Saddle angle. Bar end plug.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

QR’s are rubbish
    garden chairs need a clean
    left your keys in the door
    the grass needs sorting where it meets the slabs
    seat post is a mess
    grips are filthy
    logos and valves don’t line up
    etc
    etc
    etc

mildred

chain as slack as a bag of knackers.

Kato

nice lawn

momo

Chains too long amd front QR isn’t done up properly.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I am in awe, you’ve matched the shed door, window AND plant pot to the adjusters on your fork/shock +10!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Nice. Got one of those frames coming soon and will hopefully be built next week.

Going slightly different on the build with Pikes and a double & bash but should be good to ride. If its too steep like that or you dont get on with the shock try a 8.5 x 2.8 RP23 should slacken it off a little and is a better shock.

konaman
    Free Member

Wow you guys are picky!

Yes chain needs some more links taking out I know

No zip ties yet, its green garden wire till they come 8)

Seatpost is on the never ending list

And saddle angle will be adjusted dont worry.

The entire build is only 1kg heavier than my old Kona Hardtail! 😛

momo

My comment on the front quick skewer wasn’t me being picky, it’s liable to come open vey easily as it is not over the cam.

konaman
    Free Member

i get ya, cheers for that.

konaman
    Free Member

My next question is…if you guys could help, how much do I insure it for? Do I do insure it for roughly the price I paid to build it or at its resale value, which ive been told is higher than £700, as i’d never to able to build it again for the same price.

kaesae
    Free Member

Not bad, I built this up for £735 and I think it’s good for the money.

The front forks have been serviced all of the bearings in the frame and wheels have been replaced. The brake rotors are brand new as are the pads. A few other bits and pieces and it rides very well.

The rear wheel should also be a hope pro 2 with an ex729 rim, but I need to replace the rim and I’m a bit too busy just now.

Militant_biker

Looks like quite an adaptor fest on the rear brake! (I know there’s only one extra adaptor, but looks odd)

For the money it looks ace! Well done!

kaesae
    Free Member

Militant_biker – Member
    Looks like quite an adaptor fest on the rear brake! (I know there’s only one extra adaptor, but looks odd)

For the money it looks ace! Well done!

Hahahee! It looks OK to me now that you mention it, I won’t be looking at it all that much. But it is a good old bike for the money, thanks.

Buying stuff on feebay is easy if you have enough experience, there is a lot of crap getting sold but a lot of good bargains as well. I only buy stuff if it’s going cheap, a very high percent of the used stuff out there needs serviced.

Never listend to a word anyone says, varify the condition of anything you buy as soon as you get it.

Konaman, have you checked the bearings on your frame? specialized run JNK and NBK bearings on that frame, if they haven’t been changed at some point chances are they’re ****. If I where you I would get in and do a basic check with the back wheel and shock off or better still a more indepth check by manually rotating them.

Militant_biker

Kaesae – I was referring to konaman’s build 😉

Same point about cost:fun still applys though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Have I done well on my new build?…..’ is closed to new replies.