• This topic has 34 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Have i done the right thing?………..
  • dexter
    Free Member

Purchased a set of Fox 34 CTD`s for a new bike build earlier this year, unfortunately due to an injury and work commitments I have only just recently got around to building the bike, and rather annoyingly after seeking set up advice from the web have come across a plethora of negative and hostile reviews, what should I do?

mikey3
    Free Member

whats the question again?

wwaswas

give the bike to me and save yourself any more heartache.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Er…. ride them first and see if you like them? You shouldn’t really care what other people think about your bike components, just use them if they work for you.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

They’ll be fine, ride and forget about the reviews. People love a moan.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ridden some and liked them, there was a suggestion to add a bit more fluid to the damper to make them a bit less divey/less linear.

wwaswas

you must have thought they were going to be ok when you bought them?

tomhoward

Sent them back, they are clearly not fit for purpose and you should demand a refund, quoting the SOGA.

Because somebody you have never met said, on the internet, they didn’t like them.

FFS 🙄

patriotpro
    Free Member

TROLL

dexter
    Free Member

I’m being a tad neurotic aren’t I, I suppose I should just get on a ride it then eh!

VanMan
    Free Member

Fit them, don’t cut too much off the steerer though just yet, if you don’t like them sell them on.

patriotpro
    Free Member

nd rather annoyingly after seeking set up advice from the web have come across a plethora of negative and hostile reviews,

I’m sorry, just re-read the op and this has made me chuckle. good work dexter. 🙂

binners

Selling some forks, deeming them not to be fit for purpose, having never tried them?

New log on Hora? 😆

loddrik
    Free Member

😕

dexter
    Free Member

No no im not trolling, i genuinely can’t make my mind up whether to just box them back up and get shut of before using and devaluing them further, simples!

honourablegeorge

mikewsmith – Member
    Ridden some and liked them, there was a suggestion to add a bit more fluid to the damper to make them a bit less divey/less linear.

Add it to the air spring, I’d have thought? Much like a volume spacer.

thered

You’d never buy anything if the net had anything to do with it, ride em and see

dexter
    Free Member

No worries Patriotpro, and im not Hora unless he`s a 41 year old male from Batley?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Who gives a shiz what folk on the internet say…just gerrem slapped on and get out there. 8)

06awjudd
    Free Member

It’s very easy to get bogged down in small, relatively irrelevant details when building a bike, as so much thought can go into it, and obviously, you want it to be perfect.
    But all of that will become irrelevant when it’s built and you can just go out and ride and have fun!

dexter
    Free Member

I won’t be self building again, it seemed like an ace idea at the time but in all honesty its just been one problem after another, never, ever again, call me unimaginative but it will be off the peg for me in the future.

binners

Well… Huddersfield actually Dexter. You two weren’t separated at birth were you? Could this be mistaken for you…..

tomhoward

Well… Huddersfield actually Dexter. You two weren’t separated at birth were you? Could this be mistaken for you…..

In addition, do you have a penchant for cowboy boots and a beautiful penis?

Yetiman
    Free Member

The best thing to do is fit them, ride, then see what you think. I’ve been running my 140mm 29er 34 Floats for 6 months now and I think I’m only now getting the best out of them. They are quite linear in feel, so if you’re used to a fork with a progressive spring rate the 34’s will feel a bit divey at first, especially in descend mode, but if it’s a problem you can add some float fluid to the air chamber (5ml at a time up to about 15ml) which will give a more progressive feel.
    I noticed a wee difference in mine with 5ml added, I might add another 5ml, but for now I’m getting on fine.

The CTD and Trail Adjust settings are simple and should only take a couple of rides on familiar trails to set up. I run the pressure in mine quite low, set the trail adjust to soft, and the CTD lever to Trail. This set up feels pretty much spot on for everything.

I think Fox have tried to cover too many bases with the standard damping, but with a few tweaks here and there you can successfully set them up ‘just so’.

I’d like to try the new 29er 150mm Pike for comparison though.

hora
    Free Member

The answer is simple, ride them.

Then if you don’t like get them tuned and/or drop a different cart in them.

Speak to Mojo about their opinions/any adjustments.

dexter
    Free Member

errrrrrrrrrr no and no, I feel I should clarify that I work in Batley, born in Dewsbury (no heckling please) and live in Hudder`s, I feel you are under some illusion that I’m a Benny Hill look alikey, it’s a case of mistaken identity. Ps I have a client called Tom Howard, but he’s a portly chap from Horsforth who plays rugby, I also suspect that’s not you is it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How hard can it be pick the stuff you like and put it on a bike!

dexter
    Free Member

I obviously don’t haven’t as much time as you Mikewsmith, I take it from your tone you do frequent self builds then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

never bought an off the peg build. Just speccing the next one, I have time but know what I like so it’s either in the LBS or on order there. The rest have been move on builds. The spec on new bikes is just not to my liking I’d want to change far too much to make it worth buying.

shermer75
    Free Member

Hey no worries dexter, there’s crappy moments with every self build. Working your way through will add to the feeling of accomplishment when you finish it! There’s light at the end of tunnel 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I wish I had the spare cash to just drop it on a set of forks and then worry if they’re any good after the event!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Don’t mean to sound funny but did you not check reviews before buying? I know that they’re not always the most reliable thing but at least it gives you a bit of an idea. Or at least do some digging before splashing the cash.

Personally, I’m not a fan after riding a bike with them. It was the one time where I really got what reviewers were on about…i.e. even set up with the right air pressure for sag etc they blow through their travel.

The good news is that after Fox got a beating in the press, they have revised things for this year and looking at the Pink Bike article, there are some ’14 retro fits available. That is one thing Fox are good for; a lot of their new stuff can be retrofitted to older forks.

The other option, is ride them and make up your own mind. If you find that they five too much then you can look at tuning or retrofitting upgrades. Or sell them and buy something else.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Is that Debbie McGhee sat on BH’s lap?? If so, I now know what Wizbit Paul Daniels saw in her all those years ago. 😆

tomhoward

Ha, close! I’m in Harrogate, but pass through Horsforth pretty regularly 🙂

not played rugby for years and at 160lbs, portly isn’t the word i’d use… 😆

hora
    Free Member

I’m 100kg’s and look about 80 😐

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Have i done the right thing?………..’ is closed to new replies.