Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Have I damaged my brakes
  • emsz
    Free Member

Rear disc brake has been making a terrible racket when I use it recently. Took the pads out just now and one side has worn down to the metal plate! I’ve got some new pads at home.

Have I Knackered the disc?
    If I ride home without the pads in the brake will ok won’t it?

meehaja
    Free Member

you’ll be fine, just don’t brake. If the disc looks ok, it probably is!

momo

If you ride without the pads in there, please don’t be tempted to pull the lever, or you’re likely to do quite a lot of harm.

The brake will be fine, although the rotor may be a little scarred, but you should be able to see any damage. Chuck a new set of pads in and it should be fine.

mkultr4
    Free Member

check the disc for grooves. Get angle grinder with abrasive disc and sand them out. You’ll be fine. Also check that both pistons are moving equally, one could be sticking if you say one pad had worn to the metal. What brakes are they?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Should be OK unless as above they are really scored. Just don’t brake, replace pads and see what the braking it like before you do anything else 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sand the grooves out? Why? No need at all!

z1ppy

Put those knackered pads back in for the journey home, then replace when you get back – as above you be tempted to use the brake on the way home and the pistons may pop out casuing you loads more hassle. Though it usually the case that if one pad is worn to nothing and the other isn’t, that the piston on the non-worn side is sticky or jammed, hense why it’s not pushing the pad out and getting worn as the same rate as the other side. You need to get it moving again, or the same will happen with the new pads, sometime just lubricating the piston, and pushing it back and forth is enough, other time a complete strip is required.

ziggy
    Free Member

What Al said, should I perhaps ‘sand’ out all the holes in my rotor too?

emsz
    Free Member

Angle grinder? You’re joking right?

I threw the pads away 😳 I’ve written NO! On the back of my hand LOL.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Get angle grinder with abrasive disc and sand them out.

eh terrible advice.

if it scratched a bit leave it. if its deep groves replace it.

toys19
    Free Member

My mate who did his PHd in train brakes says grooves make brakes perform better, based on experimental results.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

If one piston is sticking and not going in / out then remove wheel and old pads. Then push the working piston back into the caliper and hold it in place while pulling the brake lever. This will force the sticking piston to move. Once it has moved out a bit, push it back in and repeat a couple of times.

It should then be freed up and working fine.

dmiller
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    Put those knackered pads back in for the journey home, then replace when you get back – as above you be tempted to use the brake on the way home and the pistons may pop out casuing you loads more hassle. Though it usually the case that if one pad is worn to nothing and the other isn’t, that the piston on the non-worn side is sticky or jammed, hense why it’s not pushing the pad out and getting worn as the same rate as the other side. You need to get it moving again, or the same will happen with the new pads, sometime just lubricating the piston, and pushing it back and forth is enough, other time a complete strip is required.

This is 100% right. I popped a piston 3 hours into my first whw attempt by getting my juicy threes down to the metal. I wrecked the caliper and the disk. And my knee about 12 hours later as I couldnt stop.

Leave the pads in, dont brake, sort the sticky piston if you have one when you get home.

lowey

I’ve written NO! On the back of my hand LOL.

Proper laughed at that!

hainman
    Free Member

remember to leave your glove off!!!!

emsz
    Free Member

Made it home! Just took it easy really. Right, stuck new pads in but couldn’t get the wheel back in and noticed the disc wouldn’t fit in-between the pads, so stuck a big screwdriver in and wiggled them back into place and wheel dropped in fine all goes round and brakes work but the pads rub a bit. Is that normal?

Sorry for all the questions

yoshimi

you should really have forced the pads apart using the old ones before fitting the new ones.

Sounds like you need to realign your caliper – people do it different ways but easiest is loosen the caliper bolts so you can wiggle it a bit, then pull your lever and this should get it prettty close to central – tighten the caliper bolts 1/4 turn at a time (trying not to move the caliper) – then spin wheel, you may have to make small adjustents

xc-steve
    Free Member

Sounds normal to me! Pump the brake a couple times for the pistons to reset be cautious the first couple of times you use the brake as they’ll need to bed in… for me normally one long drag and they’re back to normal!

Junkyard
    Free Member

just align caliper as Yoshimi says it will be fine – you may ahave a stuck calipe rif only one side wore out. that is a right pain to fix.

emsz
    Free Member

Blimey that took an age to get lined up. It rubs a bit in one place as you spin the wheel is that ok? Done the front as well as they were looking low. Did what Yoshimi said about pushing the pads in and it worked a treat.

Yey me!

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, the disc may be ever-so slightly bent and causing it to rub just a tiny bit. It really doesn’t matter.

I hate getting brakes right but when they are it makes soooo much difference to my confidence, it’s worth it.

Rachel

ziggy
    Free Member

Is now the time to tell you the easy why of aligning the caliper?

Just loosen the caliper bolts, then hold the brake on and do the bolts up whilst still holding on the brake.
    Usually results in a perfectly aligned caliper.

Sorry for not telling you that 2 hours ago 🙂

mkultr4
    Free Member

Get angle grinder with abrasive disc and sand them out.

eh terrible advice.

if it scratched a bit leave it. if its deep groves replace it.

Nothing wrong with using an angle grinder if you know what your doing. Grooves will have no detriment to braking at all they will just wreck your new pads you’ve just put in.

@ziggy
    yeah you could sand your rotor holes out and fill the one in between your nose and chin.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Using an angle grinder on a disc is wrong. You will make the disc thinner thus weeker ( you do know there is a minimum thickness for a disc?), controlling how much material you remove will be difficult meaning you could end up with brake judder.

its a stupid thing to do.

The grooves in the disc will simply mean it takes longer to bed pads in and will have no detriment once they are bedded in

mkultr4
    Free Member

its not rocket science. I done this hundreds of times cars,bikes.some of those raced on tracks you just be careful and use a micrometer and straight edge. how do you think rotors are made

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not with an angle grinder

Most are cut from flat

mkultr4
    Free Member

they are ground, to make sure they are flat.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Have I damaged my brakes’ is closed to new replies.