Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Have car insurance prices just gone whoooooosh?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I was aware there was a price rise on the way, due to the way compensation is to be paid, but cars I was getting quotes on earlier in the week have jumped a ridiculous amount it seems.

For example, my renewal for the Fiesta I just sold was £225. If I run it through Aviva now, it’s £400.
    Earlier in the week, Focus 1.8l Titanium and Honda 1.8l v-tec SE (Both £3.5k and 2008) were £350, but now £550 and £650 respectively.

Have I missed something?

Edit: Something weird going on. Maybe Aviva’s website is having a moment…

2007 Honda, CIVIC EX I-VTEC, 5 Door Hatchback, 1799 cc, Manual, Petrol (£3k) – £600 fully comp
    2016 Ford, FOCUS ST 2 TDCI, 5 Door Estate, 1997 cc, Manual, Diesel (£20) – £485 fully comp

somafunk

You’ll have cookies logged on your previous search so delete all cookies and try again

chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey that’s a hefty increase.

All because everyone claims everything comes their way …

Jamie
    Free Member

@somafunk

For a 2007 Honda, CIVIC EX I-VTEC, 5 Door Hatchback, 1799 cc, Manual, Petrol (£3k).

With existing cookies: £601

Incognito tab (so no cookies/tracking): £712.00

I give up.

somafunk

Eh?, that’s weird…….perhaps try on a mates computer with a different IP address

That’s helluva expensive isn’t it?, do you stay in a high crime area or have low ncb?

Jamie
    Free Member

Earlier in the week it was £350 for the Civic. So no idea what’s changed.

Will give them a ring tomorrow I think, but I know we have some insurance bods on here, who may be able to shed some light on any possible rises.

mattyfez

Welcome to brexit.

scotroutes

Many of them shot up last week as a result of a court ruling regarding compensation lump sums.

prawny

Ogden Rate innit.

Shouldn’t have too much effect on an IT middle manager I wouldn’t have thought though, biggest increases will hit the young and old.

Especially as people I know at Aviva are confident that they got their calculations right as they knew this was coming and wouldn’t have to do much. That was commercial though (personal lines moved to Scotland years ago so have no contact with them) so there might be some difference.

Sounds like some companies are taking the opurtunity to get a bit more premium, hunt around, someone will be looking to pick up a fair chunk of business, just need to work out who.

boblo
    Free Member

It seems to be a lottery with their website. We use them and check round each year, depending when and how many times we run the quotes we get different prices. Existing customers/same cars.

Don’t forget get to Quidco or Topcashback. You can get a decent reduction this way.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just put that Civic through Hastings direct, as TopCashback weee offering £40 on them.

Quote was £2.7k. Erm….

Shouldn’t have too much effect on an IT middle manager I wouldn’t have thought though

I wish I was. It’s the dream…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

But £40 is £40 though, and not to be sniffed at.

Tiger6791

You want to try insuring a Land Rover Defender now, gone from being super cheap to the most stolen car in the UK – £200 a couple of years ago to £1900 this year 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

You make a compelling arguement. I will take the policy. Nearly more than the car, but £40 is indeed £40!

matt_outandabout

Ours has rocketed last month. No bumps or tickets, just increases of 30-50% bein quoted.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Between you and me, I think DFS have a sale coming up, the money you save there should offset the cost of the premium a bit.
    You’ve got to be a bit smart in these things.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d rather by a tasteful leather chair, that really ties the room together, than give an insurance company more than £500.

br
    Free Member

There was talk that the change to how they worked out lump sum investment interest would mean an average increase of £75 per policy. But that could be £10 for me and £500 for my son.

RustyNissanPrairie

My van went from £650 for me and wife with business use to £2500 for just me.
    However this was thanks to the uninsured, unlicensed, un mot, un taxed camo wearing ‘bike life’ **** riding his ‘crosser on the main road who then bounced off my van and his subsequent £25k personal injury claim.

Selling van as refusing to pay that much and annoyed with insurance company for not contesting it.

This is on top of the £50k personal injury claim that was made against my wife last year after a drunk fell into the yard area of a shop we rented. Our insurance company cancelled our policy after the loss adjuster noticed the back door lock wasn’t to British Standard XXXXX leaving us to potentially face it ourselves. Cost us £k’s fighting it. Eventually the landlords insurance paid £27k out (as should have happened in the first place)

Wound the business up,

**** insurance companies.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Rusty, that is a nightmare. All that because of some pisshead 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok. I retract my tales of woe in light of RNP’s post.

Harsh is an understatement.

jambalaya
    Free Member

EDiT: Even worse !

Aviva came out quite expensive a few weeks ago. Cayman S £320 (ABC Insurance) £500 £782 Aviva.

jambalaya
    Free Member

RNP that’s a crap story. No win no fee lawyers – who the F approved that ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Try Tesco.

br
    Free Member

Just taken look on Confused:

Mine’s gone down by £10 based on the November renewal price £303 for a brand new BMW 435d 🙂

And my 18 y/o sons’ Civic has gone DOWN by £400!

He was looking at buying a Civic Type R last week but the insurance quotes were +£4k, but we’d looked at his own car as a ‘comparison’. Last week it had gone up by £100, and this week down to less than he paid last year.

No idea then.

RustyNissanPrairie

Yep, he was walking home from a wake but was a pisshead (I know his son in law) and was holding on to the side wall of the shop walking up the street, the wall ends and drops to a low parapet wall with a 7′ drop to concrete flagged yard. Probably doesn’t meet building regs but it used to be steps going down so landlord thought it was an improvement when he removed the steps/built the low wall.
    First we knew was son in law telling me at work then letter from solicitor.
    ‘Friendly’ loss adjuster visited and went through form checking original
    insurance statement came to back door lock and BINGO! no payout!

The problem was that the year before my wife did the shop insurance through ‘shop insurance.com’ / broker. They only wanted to know that we had a 5lever lock which we had. The following year the broker changed the insuring company and sent out a new statement- this included that the locks were
    5lever but to BS whatever (longer bolt & bigger catchment plate). My wife didn’t spot this change and signed and returned. She even rang and had a chat with the broker about all of this but we could never get the ‘recorded for training purpose’ copy.

So as a sole trader we faced a £50k claim.
    Scary times for us as we don’t have that money.
    The pisshead got £19k of the final £28k payout and blew it on a mega round the world cruise but he never left the ship once and just got pissed the whole time. Divided his family as it was his niece who pushed him to claim, others were against it as they know us and knew it wasn’t our fault – we were tenants of the shop not the landlord.

Gave keys back to the landlord after 6years of trading and walked away. Wife unemployed (but happier)

Jamie
    Free Member

Cayman S £320 (Company X)

Company X being?

br
    Free Member

RNP that’s a crap story. No win no fee lawyers – who the F approved that ?

My wife had a bump in her car, in slow traffic just ran slowly into the back of a van. Driver and passenger both claimed for whiplash, we contested once we found out as the speed was so slow that there was no damage to her car at all. Her insurance company said she’d admitted fault so nothing they would do…

Along with the ludicrous van hire costs the bill was in excess of £40k.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jamie, I just edited above having checked my email – ABC Insurance. I use a broker called Bickley.

EDIT note car is 10 years old (insurance value £12k ?) and its for 5000 miles pa.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@b r I thought whiplash was capped at a few £100 these days and more required medical evidence ? (Could be urban myth)

Jamie
    Free Member

Heh…looking like Sheila’s Wheels might be cheaper according to Confused.com.

RustyNissanPrairie

I don’t care what insurance companies pay out if they don’t contest – that’s their problem. What **** me off is when they send out a 3rd party loss/claims adjuster to find the tiniest little unrelated opportunity to wheedle out of paying.
    The BS lock **** that **** us over must have been pleased as punch he’d found the lock – probably a good favourite of his.
    The loss/ claims adjuster that dealt with my van/bike life **** interface was equally as bad. My typed statement when returned was full of inaccurate information that I corrected signed and returned. During the ‘interview’ he was equally looking for an angle to dump us.

I put insurance companies as even worse than estate agents and that is saying something.

br
    Free Member

@b r I thought whiplash was capped at a few £100 these days and more required medical evidence ? (Could be urban myth)

Possibly, this was in 2009/10 – still winds me up though 🙂 Funny though that it only impact her premiums for one year, which was the year I had to take her off my 535i as it quadrupled the premium.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Jamie
    …really ties the room together

Her life is in your hands, Dude.

matt_outandabout

Shouldn’t have too much effect on an IT middle manager I wouldn’t have thought though

Both 42, neither ever had points, one bump three years ago, small 1.4/80bhp/low insurance group car, full NCD on two vehicles, Dunblane is not exactly a crime hotspot, car on drive overnight. Still +30% after much searching and cashback.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@matt .. hum … to be fair Insurance companies are really struggling with these ultra low interest rates. The business model is basically to have annual premiums = annual losses and all the profits come from managing the money / company capital. When the return on that is 1%-2% not 5%-8% its a massive struggle.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Have car insurance prices just gone whoooooosh?’ is closed to new replies.