• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mjb.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hathersage, Millstone – riding with a 2 year old…….?
  • romster
    Free Member

Looking at driving upto Hathersage with my little fella tomorrow, (2 and a half), parking in the millstone carpark and going for a ride around. Anyone know if there is a route which means we don’t have to tackle the roads from the Millstone? 😐 Or alternatively – is there anywhere else I can park close by to the Millstone which means we can ride straight into a bit of off roading and enjoy the countryside? Obviously nothing too harsh as I’ve got the sprog on the back.

Reason for wanting to be close to the millstone is I want to fill our bellies full of yorkshire puddings once we’ve had a ride around. 😀

Cheeeeeeeeeers!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not much legit round there mate, not sure if longshaw estate is still open to bikes (was a few weeks back)

romster
    Free Member

Really? Thats a shame, lots of beauty to be enjoyed too! Disappointed is an understatement. What’s the longshaw estate all about then never heard of it. (off to search google).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

its across the road from the suprise view carpark. is he in a seat/trailer/tag a long?

mjb

Does it have to be the Millstone? The Ladybower inn or Fox House would be better starting points if you want to finish at a pub.

romster
    Free Member

He’ll be in a seat. Reason for the millstone was because we’ve been a few times for Sunday lunch and it was friendly and food was good, plus they’ve got the little petting pigs and goats in the car park something the little man loves. As said initially I’m open to other suggestions though. Do you have a postcode for the other locations where I could start and finish? I’ll just stick it in the sat nav in the morning when I pick him up and head off out on our adventure! 🙂

Pieface

That area is the main let down of the peak.

Burbage valley and Padley gorge need a bridleway and a bridleway link along the valley from Ladybower calling in at Hathersage and then Calver.

Also something across the tops linking Fox House to Curbar Gap would be good.

We can but dream….

mjb

The Fox house is just up the road from the Millstone and there are bridleways out over Totley moor and Houndkirk. Details here

The Ladybower Inn is on the shore of Ladybower! There’s lots of bridleways round there but they do tend to be pretty steep unless you do a lap of Derwent and Howden. Details here

There’s some easier routes around Chatsworth but it’s Chatsworth show this weekend so the traffic will be a nightmare (don’t go this way if you’re coming from Chesterfield).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hathersage, Millstone – riding with a 2 year old…….?’ is closed to new replies.