Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Has this been done yet?
  • warton
    Free Member

Linky

the last paragraph boils my blood EDIT: makes me wonder what the point is

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems reasonable to me.

Not sure why you give a crap either.

Pigface
    Free Member

Very odd behavior

warton
    Free Member

Seems reasonable to me.

of course it does, not letting the child’s grandparents know their grandchild’s gender. perfectly reasonable 🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why?

In an e-mail to the Associated Press news agency, Ms Witterick, a stay-at-home mother, said a four-month-old infant was still learning to recognise him or herself, and said it was inappropriate to impose a gender identity on the child.

I think it’s a very interesting topic actually. Brings up the whole nature/nurture debate. How much are our personalities affected by the way gender roles are imposed on us? How much freer could we be as thinking, creative individuals, if we weren’t shackled by gender roles and behavioural expectation?

Or, do we need to be ‘engendered’ in order to develop fully?

samuri
    Free Member

I would say that’s a boy. Look at his hat.

molgrips
    Free Member

Warton:

The child’s grandparents do not know Storm’s sex, the Toronto Star reported, and have grown weary of explaining the situation, but are supportive

Or, do we need to be ‘engendered’ in order to develop fully?

That is indeed an interesting and intelligent point Elf. We are not simply the product of our genetics, we have no choice but to develop many aspects of our self image as a result of who and what we are. They are white, for starters, also middle class (presumably), anglophone (again presumably), and Western – and they will be treated as such. This cannot be avoided. They will build an identity and sense of self based on these things and and more. So why not let them develop a gender identity too?

It’s a part of life, whether or not the parents like it.

HOWEVER

It could also be construed as a reasonable defensive reaction because so much of society’s understanding of gender is corrosive and restrictive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Utter tripe. He/she either has a male chicken or a(soon to be) furry front bottom. How will this stunt help with that?

Jamie
    Free Member

If the children are allowed to chose their own gender profiles, then surely they can be able to pick their own names as well.

Storm? Jazz?

*chortles*

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Utter tripe.

Why is it?

warton
    Free Member

elfin,

maybe I was a little reactionary in my first post. I just don’t think its a healthy situation when you totally refuse to recognise a child’s gender.

My 1 year old boy loves a bit of rough and tumble, but he also loves copying mummy by using her makeup brushes on his face, but he’s a boy. and whether he turns out to be straight, gay, bisexual or something else, he’ll be a boy / man for the rest of his life (probably!). whats the big deal with him, his grandparents and the outside world knowing that?

I just don’t get it, and I don’t see the point to it.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

I tried reading it twice to see if I was annoyed, and apart from “Storm” being a stupid name,apparently I couldn’t care less.

Not only did my blood not boil, but I’ve now lost all interest in even typing anymore of a response.

scaredypants

storm, jazz and koi ( 😉 )
    normally I wouldn’t give a carp, but that‘s parental cruelty, my friends – gender identity issues notwithstanding

molgrips
    Free Member

How will this stunt help with that?

whats the big deal with him, his grandparents and the outside world knowing that?

I suspect they are trying to make a point…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I just don’t think its a healthy situation when you totally refuse to recognise a child’s gender.

Well, seeing as how very young children do not display any form of gender until they are a couple of years old at least, I can’t see as how they are refusing to recognise it. All they are doing, is keeping the child’s sex a secret from others.

Sex and Gender aren’t the same thing.

I think this point is being missed by all the knee-jerkers…

timraven

Gender roles always a contentious subject,I just feel that the way they are going about it is going to make all their lives more difficult.

Allowing them to be what they want, when they want is fine, but trying to hide it? That’s hard work.

crikey
    Free Member

The point being missed by the parents is that at some point in the future these little experiments will be deciding that it is time for them to be put in a home…

colournoise

Problem is, unless they are extremely strong-willed or scarily OCD about this, the parents’ own gender bias will still surely imprint on the kid in some way – they know whether it’s a he or a she and that knowledge is bound to affect the way they deal with things as they can’t be totally immune to socio-cultural influences?

slainte ❓ rob

molgrips
    Free Member

And of course impossible after a while, which is why I think it’s a stunt.

warton
    Free Member

so, to ask another question, is it fair or responsible to play with their kids lives in this way, or will what they are doing have no effect on the kids?

not trolling, just interested to see what people think…

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends how far they take it.

Lil Grips aged 2 still doesn’t know what boys and girls are apart from the fact they dress differently. She knows mum and dad’s bodies are different but I’m sure she doesn’t know if all boys and girls are like that. I think that they’ll start asking questions in a couple of years’ time.

Alcopop
    Free Member

no idea what the parents think this will achieve by keeping there gender a secret
    but totally agree with the above Storm , Jazz and Koi well that them fecked for a start
    Gender doesn’t come into it …some parents eh !!! a good hard slap’s what there needing
    better off keeping there names a secret …oh aye and that is a boys hat defo

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think they should also let the child decide what is morally right and what is morally wrong. And if it grows up to be a neo-nazi homicidal serial rapist, then at least they will be able to say that it had a choice.

timraven

In order to make a choice you need to know what the choices are, this approach just seems to be a recipe for confusion, not choice.

IanMunro
    Free Member

As was pointed out on the news quiz, if the parents are so into gender neutrality they could start with their own names.

I think they should also let the child decide what is morally right and what is morally wrong

I think they are.

Poor mite’s already looking a bit confused.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Or maybe it’s constipated?

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀
    Well that what happens when you let him choose a tripple cheeseburger.

grahamh
    Free Member

About half way though
    News Quiz

dogbert
    Free Member

who cares? I mean really…….who gives two shits???

I see worse parenting every week in Asda, just sounds like another pair looking for their “me me me” moment of fame or feeling they need to tell the world they’re different (or non-different specific)

and it looks like a boy to me, even though it’ll grow up to be a bi-curious transvestite with a taste for human meat and high powered rifles

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Now would be a good time for anyone without children to step away from the thread. How could you ever understand?!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I don’t think their kids are going to thank them for this in the long run. Unless they plan on keeping them totally isolated from the rest of the world I think they’re just indulging their own wilfull smugness at the expense of the kids.

EDIT: Just seen darcy’s post. What was I thinking?

Junkyard
    Free Member

My boys understand the difference perfectly between boys and girls. It took them a few weeks of asking every female they met if they had a willy to fully get it but now they are on message.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

JY, I still do that in the hope of meeting that elusive hot shemale.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Genuine 😆 Very funny

Hairychested
    Free Member

@Junkyard, did any of those females answer “many times, darling”?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I remember a guy at uni at more or less the same time as me.

Both his parents were educational psychologists or something, decided to put the various theories to the test on their own offspring.

poor bloke, I’ve never seen someone so young so messed up

Irish_AL
    Free Member

is it just me or does the kid look like K D Lang 😯

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Has this been done yet?’ is closed to new replies.