Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Has the bubble burst for (overseas)cheap online only bikes?
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Just a thought really, looking at some of the tales of horror regarding YT after sales. I recall reading some poor reviews/comments regarding Canyon and their customers waiting ages for bikes (road and MTB).
    With places like Pauls cycles offering killer deals, will consumers start to shy away from the likes of YT/Canyon etc.??
    (i have experience with Rose, who were A1 as well as buying local btw)

hora
    Free Member

I went with Commencal instead of YT. I wouldnt touch them after the stories. Riders passionate about riding making other riders wait months for a warranty return in the best riding weather speaks volumes.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t know about that, I’ve heard horror stories about most brands and warranty replacements and a physical shop just gives you someone to moan at face to face.

What might catch them out though is the more mainstream manufacturers seem to be more competitive on price now – Intense are selling full build Tracers for the same sort of money as Capra’s yes they’re Alu and not Carbon and wear XFusion and not RS, but they’re still temping as a bike to upgrade later.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nope. I’m sure I have heard ‘horror stories about pretty much most manufacturers, but you also have to realise that you only generally ever hear one side of that story.

What might catch them out though is the more mainstream manufacturers seem to be more competitive on price now – Intense are selling full build Tracers for the same sort of money as Capra’s yes they’re Alu and not Carbon and wear XFusion and not RS, but they’re still temping as a bike to upgrade later.

So, not carbon, and lower priced major components?. Not really the same thing at all. And intense have had their own issues in the past, as Google will show I’m sure.

ampthill

YT ?

I think both have there place. Some great deals this time of year on big brand bikes. But not every year and not all year round.

kimbers

For the same price as a nomad you can get a top spec capra, a skills session, a holiday in the Alps and a backup bike*, in case YT have to sort out your warranty

* I’ve just built up a s/h / parts bin/ sale bargain, gnarcore hardtail for <£200 and its ridiculous amount of fun

Direct sales will always have their place, espe ially when the likes of Bird have got price, quality and great customer relations going on

me1tdown
    Free Member

They do offer fantastic value, so I don’t think anyone will ‘shy away’. Possibly they are a victim of their own success, and just haven’t reinvested heavily enough in their customer service team to keep up with the increases in sales?

Plus it’s very easy to ignore miss emails, much harder to forget about a customer nagging you in a physical shop.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Interesting thought on the nomad/ capra. However I bet you could keep a nomad running for waaay longer with parts and spares than a capra, which makes the value considerably lower

chakaping
    Free Member

The bubble hasn’t burst at all. On the contrary the issues you’ve noticed are a result of these companies having huge success and struggling to provide adequate backup.

Be interesting to see how they cope with potential damage to their brands and whether they reinvest profits in better customer service, in yt’s case especially.

Ps. It would be great if canyon made a race strive without the shapeshifter.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Nope. I’m sure I have heard ‘horror stories about pretty much most manufacturers, but you also have to realise that you only generally ever hear one side of that story.

So, not carbon, and lower priced major components?. Not really the same thing at all. And intense have had their own issues in the past, as Google will show I’m sure.

Oh absolutely not the same thing, but if you’re got £2500 to spend and are after a big 6″ trail bike they’re both options – Intense are one of the ‘coolest’ brands out there, they’re very good and some riders may be tempted to accept lower spec kit in favour of the better brand.

They’re not alone either, a few years ago it seemed you needed £4k for a new bike, now the are less silly priced options which are still going to be a very good ride.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Has the bubble burst for (overseas)cheap online only bikes?’ is closed to new replies.