Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • Has someone elses fireworks cost me my dog?
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

So dog was scared, its usually nice, probably just a one off. You keep dog, take dog and son for a walk, random car backfires, dog bites sons face, again. Or maybe its a bottle cork, or a Christmas cracker or whatever. It’s happened once – it’s potential to happen again is too bigger risk.
    So for me it’s goodbye to the dog.

Or you could test your theory by trying to give it some therapy and exposing it to loud noises and see how it reacts?

I still think rehoming is the best option though as I think other owners could deal with the dog more effectively.

ads678

Ok a bit strong to say put it down straight away, but he’s putting a dog he’s only had for a year before his own son. That can’t be healthy can it.

God knows what that dog has been through during training for races, maybe it’s showing it’s true colours.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Test away but the doubt would always be there.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Ok a bit strong to say put it down straight away, but he’s putting a dog he’s only had for a year before his own son. That can’t be healthy can it.

I agree with you here.

Test away but the doubt would always be there

Unfortunately, life is always unpredictable and the fact that a dog hasn’t bitten someone is no guarantee it’s safer than the one he’s currently got.

I completely agree however that it’s not really the right environment for an ex-race greyhound but I do think the OP has plenty of room for mediation and other avenues that can be sought so the dog can be rehomed. I believe that is the responsibility of the owner and when these things can be done, putting the dog down is a needless waste of life, the vets time and the drugs to do it. I do not at all think this dog is dangerous along the lines of a batfuck insane lab/collie cross a friend had that bit the bollocks of a postie, somehow ate a knives, ate sofas and chased everything that moved. THAT dog needed to be put down straight away – this does not.

chewkw
    Free Member

Rehoming the dog is the best option as I think it was an accident rather than intentional. Best thing to do is never have pet dog again.

dickieboy
    Free Member

Mate.
    All animals have the ability to attack, in some owners eyes they may believe the chances are less than one percent and they choose to live with that risk.
    I can only assume that deep down in both your head and your heart you know that that likelihood is more than one percent and I guess you’re gonna struggle to live with that.
    As a parent I would not be able to rest for a minute knowing my kids were at risk. I realise other people may be able to rationalise that risk but my overriding fear would be How would I live with myself if the dog attacked again, with more severe consequences and I had failed to protect my family.
    I’m not trying to be hard on you just offer my opinion.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

butcher

All animals have the ability to attack

So do people.

Putting the dog down is a bit extreme too. It can be re-homed, if needs be.

It sounds to me that the OP is thinking of everybody. Family. Dog. Etc. Which in my book is the right way to think.

dickieboy
    Free Member

I didn’t advocate putting it down, I was just saying that if I was in a similar position (I accept I wouldn’t be) I wouldn’t be able to rest with the dog still in the same house as my kids.
    That’s all. :-/

butcher

I didn’t advocate putting it down, I was just saying that if I was in a similar position (I accept I wouldn’t be) I wouldn’t be able to rest with the dog still in the same house as my kids.
    That’s all. :-/

That part wasn’t really directed at you, dickieboy. Just there does seem to be a lot of people advocating a death sentence for a mistake a dog made under very stressful circumstances. And I can’t agree with that.

Yes, you have to look after your family. And it may have to be that the dog needs re-homed. But I’d also consider a dog as part of the family too and would want to find the best solution for everybody, including the dog.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I think some of us have had vastly different lifestyles to city kids judging by this thread…growing up in the country/farmland with upbringings that discouraged risk aversion means we’re willing to be more pragmatic when it comes to this sort of thing. Although I guess a few of the old school lot would have just unlocked the gun cabinet and gone for a stroll…

druidh
    Free Member

In a couple of hundred years time when folk are looking back at the current era, what do you think they will find more bizarre? That we let unlicensed people loose with incendiary devices or that folk in towns had animals in their houses?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Precisely Druidh, here’s my very scientific statistical analysis….

http://www.cgsystems.co.uk/ncfs/

vs

http://dangerousdogsact.com/43/dangerous-dogs-act-information/uk-dog-attack-statistics/

Fireworks aren’t THAT far off are they?

chewkw
    Free Member

Niece (when she was 5) got bitten by our old pet dog in the face (18/19 yr old dog – half deaf and and half blind) when she accidentally stepped on it’s tail. Went to hospital for general anaesthetic to stitch up wound etc. We did not put the dog down as it’s our pet. No big deal. She is now 16 and has a dog of her own.

I was bitten by another one of our pet dog (deep scratch wound but with some blood) this summer because I was trying to take away one of it’s food snack. I nearly gave it a good hiding if not for my nephew.

In both instances there were not the dogs’ fault but rather accidents. Well, the second case should not happen if I were the one that train it. I think we got it when it was 1 or 2 yrs old.

Putting down has never been the option for us.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ignore 90% of the utter twaddle spoken here. Firstly keep the child and dog separate until you have a chance to talk to a dog behavior expert. Get to the Vet and get something to calm the dog over the next few days. Borrow a cage if you can and put dog in it with a cover leaving a small area so the dog can see out. It will feel more secure this way. Leave a radio on not to loud to try and disguise the bangs etc. Stay with the dog if you can and don’t react to the fireworks. Speak to your son and wife and get their feelings about the dog and what they think about the attack. You maybe flogging a dead horse with this one but they may give the dog a chance once you have all spoken with a dog behavior expert. We have had many dogs, several rescue dogs including a greyhound and all of them have had some baggage of some sort. We had a Lab that removed a kitchen in about an hour. Turned out she was trying to protect us from the de humidifier when it beeped to say it needed emptying. Best 70 quid I spent on dog behavior expert.
    Good Luck.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Mate I’m sure you know, never take food off a dog. Ever. Even if it’s a pug….even if the dog absolutely know’s who’s the boss and even if they are soft as hell….at best it will irritate them and at worse cause them to hang off your face/bollocks if they are unstable.

leenightingale
    Free Member

The dog laid teeth on your little boy! Wtf are you waiting for?
    Where are your loyalties, some mutt or your own flesh and blood? I can’t understand 90% of the rubbish written here, if something or someone hurt my little boy then I would do whatever it took to ensure it could never happen again! Dog or jimmy saville then you are going down…,.,and I’m a dog lover

leenightingale
    Free Member

Dog as part of the family I accept, dog before your little boy makes you stupid and reckless! If you can’t trust it then get rid of it. What is the world coming to when we can’t celebrate hundreds of years of human tradition because we can’t trust the wolf in the living room?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Dog or jimmy saville then you are going down…,.,and I’m a dog lover

And I don’t care if you’re Muhammad “I’m hard” Bruce Lee, I’m a person that thinks you’re another reactionary that’s never heard of a muzzle.

peterfile
    Free Member

if something or someone hurt my little boy then I would do whatever it took to ensure it could never happen again! Dog or jimmy saville then you are going down…,.,and I’m a dog lover

If he ever gets into a wee scuffle at school, are you going to turn up and start windmilling a 6 year old?

davidjones15
    Free Member

if something or someone hurt my little boy then I would do whatever it took to ensure it could never happen again! Dog or jimmy saville then you are going down…,.,and I’m a dog lover

I bet we’re not. Do you over react to everything?

Markie
    Free Member

The dog needs to go. In fact, it should already be gone.

barkm
    Free Member

All the comments no matter how varied are helping so much thank you.

Putting the dog down had never even entered my head, that would be for the Trust to decide I’m not even sure we can do that without letting them know first at least, but personally for me that isn’t an option, I don’t think its necessary. To be brutally honest the dog has never been great with the kids, it can be domineering especially without me around. But it deserves the chance to be re-homed more suitably.

Obviously yesterday was grim, we ran through the entire gamut of emotions as a family, but the responsibility is mine, the final decision is also mine. The general consensus from children/wife is the dog can stay but in all honesty I get the feeling it’s reluctant and driven by a desire not to upset me. He has always been considered by them to be my dog. I have made the point that if he was to stay that would need to change as I think that’s creating more problems.

I thought I’d be better this morning, but I’m worse, failing miserably to hold it together if I’m honest, incredible how dogs can get to you like that. I am closest to the dog, it was my idea to get it in the first place, and to be honest I accept I am totally responsible for this. Through perhaps my own inexperience and poor handling I’m going to lose my dog

I know in my heart he has to be re-homed. I’m away often with my work and without me around to manage the dog in the past it has been often tricky at times, but now it’ll be impossible.

He’s had a muzzle on frequently since the incident, especially when asleep. Because of the fireworks he’s taken to sleeping on the landing. So I’ve had mostly a sleepness night worrying that my son would step out of his room in the darkness straight into the dog.
    The house is tense obviously, I know in time this could heal, but I cannot square that in my head without it feeling selfish, and maybe foolish. To be honest, I only have to look at my sons face, it’s just crushing me to be honest, absolutely devastating.

I want ot take an active role in finding him a new home if I can, but no idea whether that’s possible. My wife mooted the idea of fostering until he can be found a new home, but not sure how that works with the Greyhound Trust yet, I guess I’ll need to make that call later. Once I’ve pulled myself together 🙂

Thanks again input has been massively appreciated by me and my family

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Someone up there said “double tap”.

I bet he’s bloody awesome at first person shooters.

bigyinn
    Free Member

peterfile – Member

If he ever gets into a wee scuffle at school, are you going to turn up and start windmilling a 6 year old?
    “Wee scuffles” rarely end up in a trip to A&E to get your face stiched, unless you’re from the Drum.

ads678

OP, I think you’re upset because something YOU brought into the house has hurt your son and upset the family. I also think you already know what to do, but admitting it was your fault is hurting you.

Be the big man and get rid of the dog, your family will respect you for it. And you will be able to sleep at night.

Oh, and apologies for being a bit harsh earlier.

tracknicko
    Free Member

pop psychology//

taking child away from doggy contact right now will leave child scared of dogs for life.

//pop psychology

just my 2p.

wallop

taking child away from doggy contact right now will leave child scared of dogs for life.

My thoughts exactly.

OP isn’t “putting the dog before his child” as so many seem so quick to accuse him of – it could be more damaging to the child to take the dog away.

A friend of mine was bitten by a (non-family) dog as a child and she’s still poo-scared of them now as a 30 year old.

Sandwich

could never happen again! Dog or jimmy saville then you are going down…,.,and I’m a dog owner

FTFY

tracknicko
    Free Member

OP isn’t “putting the dog before his child” as so many seem so quick to accuse him of – it could be more damaging to the child to take the dog away.

indeed. muzzling, isolation of dog during stressful periods, and careful and well-watched reintroduction would be my course of action.

how does the child feel about the dog?

Markie
    Free Member

Alternatively, given the dynamic expressed in his most recent post – “the dog has never been great with the kids, it can be domineering especially without me around” – taking the dog away now will allow the child to *understand* that his dad values him more highly than the dog (something I’m sure the child already *knows*).

A friend of mine was bitten by a (non-family) dog as a child and she’s still poo-scared of them now as a 30 year old.

From his last post, I’d say the family have allowed the dog to be put before them for some time now. I’d argue it would be in the child’s best interests to take the dog away immediately and then, as appropriate, start introducing them to other dogs in more relaxed situations.

The child can then regain confidence in dogs in general, whilst feeling secure that the dog that bit him is no longer a threat.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Alternatively, given the dynamic expressed in his most recent post – ” the dog has never been great with the kids, it can be domineering especially without me around”

sorry team. TOTALLY missed this bit.

Dog has to go. and it sounds like this was preventable. why was your dog that normally displays odd behavior allowed to be with young child when in frantic post-fireworks state?

we had our rage-fueled spaniel put down in 2009 due to continuing and worsening behavioral issues. (she had drawn blood on about 4 occasions in 2 months)

it broke my heart. the mrs was petrified of dogs as a result for a good 2-3 years.

but it’s a choice you have to make.

if it’s a one off due to extraneous conditions then i’d let the dog off with a warning. if it is part of their general behavioral problems then they have to go.

EDIT: after a 3 year break we tried again with a new puppy (non-rescue so we could have him from day 1) things to date are going well. there is nothing to say you can’t replace doggy in future. exposure to a good dog has helped the mrs immensely. I’m still very sad that the old dog had to go, but you have to put these things aside some times.

br
    Free Member

Many years ago we had a cracking dog (looked like a fox); first child born and dog didn’t change. Son could do anything with him, no probs.

Second child born and the dog was never quite the same with him, one day out of the blue I got a call from my wife to say that the dog had bitten the youngest.

Seemed that there was no hassle, he just bit him – on the face. I took the dog to the Vets to have him put down. Vet agreed as he said you just can’t trust him…

Sorry.

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this happened.
    Hope you can find some useful advice amongst the clueless garbage on this thread!

(Feeling lucky to have a gun dog, who hears a bang and looks around for birds to retrieve 🙂 )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where did the out it down voices stand if another child hit the kid I the playground? Dog gets second chance from me. Fwiw this is something that you will get very little helpful advice from stw behaving like the daily fail caught a pedo

Nobby

Hope your lad’s on the mend.

As has been mentioned before, you now have a dog that, no matter how much behavioural guidance it gets, you are unlikely to trust again. The best thing for the dog, you and your family is to get the Trust to take him back & attempt to rehome him.

With regards to your lad & the family, those that have said he’ll retain his new-found fear of dogs unless it’s dealt with are probably right. Counselling is one way or, alternatively, getting a puppy but involving him in the process from the outset. If he can help chose, name, care for & train a different dog it should restore his confidence. Just a thought, it’s what I’d do.

philconsequence
    Free Member

feel for you OP, my childhood dog was put down after biting the babysitters girlfriend 🙁

+1 on the rescue places

dezb, did you train my gun dog to react like that, did it grow up around gunshots? i’m struggling to see how that would be bred into the dog but thats awesome if its just natural

innit_gareth
    Free Member

1: Talk with family
    2 Talk with Greyhound trust
    2= Talk with Vet
    2= Talk with dog behaviourist
    3 Discuss with family again.

and then if still concerned ask for advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet some of whom seem unable to empathise whatsoever. (double tap anyone?)

wallop

Just to lighten the mood a bit, I once had a massive rottweiler throw up all over my face (whilst I was lying on my back) and I’m now fine.

cheers_drive

wallop – Member
    Just to lighten the mood a bit, I once had a massive rottweiler throw up all over my face (whilst I was lying on my back) and I’m now fine.

Are you really sure that you are fine now? 😈

DezB
    Free Member

dezb, did you train my gun dog to react like that, did it grow up around gunshots? i’m struggling to see how that would be bred into the dog but thats awesome if its just natural

I think you mean “my”… but yeah she grew up on a farm and got used to it there, some of it is in the breeding though.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Has someone elses fireworks cost me my dog?’ is closed to new replies.