Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Has nukeproof specced my Mega with the wrong shock tune?
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

I have a monarch that states MH3. I’m assuming this stands for Medium Rebound High Compression 3. (the 3 apparently denotes a tune that has less platform damping)

My mega’s average leverage ratio is 2.6

We can see in the following link it’s a falling rate leverage ratio

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/search/label/Nuke%20Proof

Included in the next link is information on which tune monarch/vivid/vivid air tune for a given leverage ratio and type

http://www.qbp.com/diagrams/TechInfo/vivid.pdf

The Mega falls under the category of a Medium compression tune. So I’m wondering whether this is causing my only gripe with the bike that when I run enough sag for it to feel plush (around 35 %) it blows through it’s travel and at around 28-30% it feels too harsh.

If it had a lower compression tune it would feel less harsh at a higher PSI right?

bwaarp
    Free Member

I see the H actually stands for High Volume, time for a coil shock. First air shock, they suck donkey balls.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Actually, I’m not sure. Can anyone clarify what MH3 stands for on Monarch shocks. I’ve seen some Monarchs specced MM3 so my original thought may be correct.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I think you had it right the first go, H for high compression tune, for high leverage ratio frame.

The air seals will break in and it will get more “plush”.

Plus my recent experience of rockshox air shox is that they use toffee to lube the air can seals in the factory. Removed and replaced with fox float fluid, much better.

bwaarp
    Free Member

So they specced the wrong pissing shock lol? Some phone calls are in order.

I’ve broken in the shock I reckon, I’ve done about 20/30 hours of riding on it so far. I’ll look into the type of lube for the seals, thx mate.

deanfbm
    Free Member

The frame is falling rate a bit at the beginning, and very rising rate to full travel.

According to the rockshox chart, this puts you very much in the mid tune.

But you never know, the shock may have some other tuning to make it suitable for the frame, so tuning that isn’t available off the shelf retail.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ll ask NP. Incidentally what would a coil shock be like on the Mega’s leverage ratio with the falling rate at the beginning? Would it decrease support ( make it plusher) in the beginning to mid stage falling stroke rate or increase it (firmer)?

deanfbm
    Free Member

A coil compared to tyour high volume air can would be plusher at beginning, firmer in middle, softer at end. High volume air cans are squishy in the middle compared to coils as it were.

If i were you, i’d just try reducing the volume on your current air can to test if it gets you the desired results. A smaller air can volume will give more support in the middle and a lot more support at the end of travel.

The latest generation of rockshox air cans are rejigged to give similar feelings to a coil at the beginning and middle stroke, but a lot more progressive at the end. I have found this to be true from experience. Though a high volume air can will still be saggier in the middle.

simon430
    Free Member

I’ve came across the same thing with my mega, definitely blows through its travel with the correct sag so I now have less sag around 20% giving much firmer ride but when going downhill finding it doesn’t blow through the travel.

I’m currently thinking of seeing if this can be sorted out by a tune or is just air shocks and better of buying a coil.

deanfbm
    Free Member

simon430- this isn’t really a problem with air shocks in general, though it CAN be a problem with high volume air shocks.

As i said above, try altering the air can volume with spacers, really does make the world of difference.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I gave up with the monarch on my mega, found a 2nd hand CCDB and have ridden that for the last nine months now, much better shock.

I’m sure others will agree as quite a few others are running various different coils now on their megas that it really makes the bike so much better on the downs and even ups, there is alot more traction when climbing, Makes the bike so smooth in comparison to running the monarch.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Hmmm, so a coil would effectively make the force displacement graph more linear in the link I posted during my original post? Sounds good, I want more small bump compliance and more mid stroke support for better chassis control. I might get an RC4 so I can tune the ending stroke ramp up so that it is similar to the monarch. Thanks for the tips guys, I might try the low volume can but I’ve heard for lighter guys like myself it often means you don’t ever use the last 15 percent of the travel.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Guys guys, check out what the nice bloke (Antonio) at http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/ sent me after I emailed him. I believe these curves are for shocks with equal sag. So the coil would do what I want but it seems it might make the bottom out a little harsh, so perhaps the idea would be to run a little more sag and tune it out with the low speed compression adjusters that are available on BOS, CCDB coil units. I’m thinking I might go with the BOS damper unit, as although the CCDB looks good in black and gold the BOS uses coils that come in 25lb increments as opposed to 50lb which would allow me to fine tune spring rates a litte. Can anyone enlighten me on this idea?

slinkybike
    Free Member

You know with the RS high volume cans you can tune there volume with internal rubber inserts and change the compression tune if you want. If it was me I would talk to a suspension tech about retuning the shock.

bwaarp
    Free Member

You sure? I haven’t been able to find any such spacers for the monarch, I’ll have another look. TBH it doesn’t look like a great solution considering the LV can raises the mid stroke support only minimally.

Considering my sag point the low volume can might work though. I still rather it be more sensitive though.

I’ll ring tf tuned, nukeproof, R53 engineering and a few others tomorrow to get some differing opinions.

slinkybike
    Free Member

slinkybike
    Free Member

Just had a look for them on the spare parts guide I can’t see them but I have seen them if that makes senses. Can you take a photo of the shock I will be able tell from the can wither its what is thinking of. They are red rubber seals which sit in the outside ring of the air sleave and you add or subtract them to tune the volume of the air can. I would not give up on the shock just yet remember frame designers choose a shock setting that suits most riders not all and there compromise may not suit you.

Mugboo

Bwaarp

Sorry to but in. I phoned JE James & they assured me the rear end on their bikes had been upgraded.

I’m fairly light at about 12st (75.5k) but unless my pumps dodgy I needed 220psi to get 30% sag. What is anybody else running?

Having said that i was very pleased with the bike. I sold my Hemlock last Aug and tried a Marin but it didn’t work for me and did nothing for my confidence.
    First time out on the Mega and my mojo is back.
    I had the propedal on full most of the ride, halfway, if it was really lumpy and off for the bigger drops.

I’m defo a trailrider though & not a downhiller.

retro83
    Free Member

Are you sure that’s falling rate? To me it looks like at the sag point the ratio is 2.8 and it rises to 2.25 towards the end of the travel.

Compare to the Orange Five which does have a falling rate (light green line):

Edit: didn’t see DeanFB’s post 😳

deanfbm
    Free Member

it’s maybe worth antonio whether he has done calcs for generic air cans or the RS air cans.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Mugboo, could you have a look at the tune on your shock. To see if it states MH3, MM3 or ML3? I’m 11 stone and run it at about 200psi to get 30 percent sag.

Mugboo

MH3

Mugboo

& sounds like 220 is right for me.

Mugboo

Bwaarp

What was the end result of your twiddling?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Has nukeproof specced my Mega with the wrong shock tune?’ is closed to new replies.