Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • has CRC, planet x etc had their day?
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

Just seen a thread Re wiggle prices

Yesterday there was a thread asking planet x or other road bike.

Have the likes of Evans and wiggle survived the price shagging onslaught and are now coming back stronger?

honourablegeorge

CRC rarely the cheapest now. Hardly ever use them any more.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Evans? It’s all about the French and Germans now, a quest for the cheapest ever…
    Awaits some moves from the if manufacturers to sort out wider distribution and even pricing continent wide and more control on oem…

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Evans pricing is better than it use to be, they price match and you can collect from a store which can be handy.

Alltricks and German sites still generally the cheapest though…

honourablegeorge

Evans are pretty competitive with the Germans, at least on the XT 11 speed stuff I looked at recently. Not OEM stuff from either.

poah
    Free Member

all depends what you want to buy. I don’t specifically buy from one shop. wiggle seems to be expensive for most things I’m purchased recently.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Mantel is the new player in town.. Had some great buys from there

eshershore
    Free Member

Wiggle overtook CRC last year 😉

Evans saw a considerable drop in turnover and lower margin, like much of the bike industry

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Planet X a different beast now, explicitly following the Sports Direct model of snapping up defunct heritage brands and using them to label up cheap imported kit. Hence you can buy the exact same frames with Planet X, On One, Holdsworth, Viner, Tomac etc branding.

Still get the odd warehouse full of bankrupt old stock that they clear out (I reckon those Carnac shoes I got a pair of and they’re still selling are at least 10 years old), but not directly competing with the big boys and their steady supply of mainstream stuff.

CRC lost it’s edge the same time they screwed up upgraded their site, everyone’s long sick of their permanent DFS-like sales and I reckon they stopped being people’s go-to bargain supplier a while ago. Wiggle and CRC’s edge is in combining free postage with free Collect+ returns encouraging speculative purchases – Planet X charge both ways unless you have a big basket, and I’ve just bought a CX skinsuit from Evans knowing I may be spending a few quid to send it back only because no one else had it in that size for that price. They’re almost a mail order shop of last resort for me.

onandon
    Free Member

I get bored of searching on the wiggle site. Their web team could do a whole lot more to make it useable on a tablet.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I still buy a fair amount from CRC. Price wise they’re much the same as the Germans for Shimano stuff now as are Merlin who I seem to be using more and more.

Tyres I tend to get from Germany for its reasons….Schwable and Conti ar still way cheaper from Bike Discount etc.

rob2
    Free Member

rcz are good for very low prices with their email discountsbut it’s pot luck on what they have and are selling on. They aren’t a crc or wiggle. I got my pikes off them for something like £315 but not seen them in since. They were selling dt Swiss forks for about £160 the other day though.

richardthird

Halfords have improved massively. Good range online, to store next day and price match everyone.

Not used PX since they went over £50 for free shipping.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of stuff from CRC recently. They seem to be cheap for the bits I’m after. That said I’ve had loads of stuff from Wiggle and Evans too. I haven’t ordered any bike stuff from Germany. Mostly because I’ve had problems with other stuff from Germany. The return postage always puts me off.

Halfords have got better. They are still pricey, but every now and then I get a bargain. Plus I cycle past it every day so it’s convienent.

HansRey

I was looking at CRC for some sales bargains (drivetrains, lights). They sell a lot of different products, but loads of it is tat. I couldn’t be fussed to look through it all and bought from elsewhere. PX seem to sell whatever CRC can’t/won’t bother selling.
    Seems that I’m fussier nowadays

jambalaya
    Free Member

AFAIK German sites are competitve as they have a way of avoiding UK VAT.

I bought a gear change cable today for €2.50 from a real bike shoo, long may such things continue

grey

Madison dealers can price match Shimano stuff if you ask and take in proof of the lower price.
    They will even match the Germans and the likes of CRC.
    They just don’t advertise the fact they can do it.

kimbers

The wiggle website has always been user unfriendly even compared to onone

Tbh I buy from wherever I can find stock these days, which seems to be a semi regular issue

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Gave up with tat from PX a long time ago. CR still get a lot of my money, but their sales seem a bit pointless now. Wiggle don’t seem to have much I need other than TA chainrings. Merlins are really good for sorting and delivering very quickly for me, but their sale prices seem more expensive now than Black Friday. I bought some tyres from them for £40 a pair on BF and are £46 a pair today. Have bought from the germans and were a lot cheaper than in the UK , so may sway a bit more that way for the future.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

AFAIK German sites are competitve as they have a way of avoiding UK VAT.

I bought a gear change cable today for €2.50 from a real bike shoo, long may such things continue

Weird that as my last order had 20% vat on it……….

scotroutes

I’ve been making a few purchases from Evans. Their prices are generally good, delivery is good and I can swap my Tesco vouchers at 2:1 so everything is immediately a better deal.

porlus
    Free Member

Mantel is the new player in town.. Had some great buys from there

Just used them to order a light and motion urban 800. Fair price and delivery included.

tomaso
    Free Member

German shops can not avoid their own domestic Vat of 19% no matter where in Europe it is sold. Otherwise the country you import into would charge their Vat on it.

welshfarmer

All the german sites sell with UK vat rate of 20% whereas it is only 19% in their domestic market, which is why you sometimes think there is a price hike to UK buyers. The reason they are cheap is because of the exchange rate. It was only 2 years ago when a Euro was worth 87 pence whereas for the past year it has been hovering around the 71 pence mark. That represents a 20% price drop for us 🙂

chestrockwell

I tend to use Evans for the reasons above. They price match all the uk big hitters, less chance of the kit being not exactly as described e.g. Merlin and double tesco vouchers. They have never let me down so what’s not to like?

turbo1397
    Free Member

As said above.. I use Evans a lot more these days as they price match and there evoucher scheme if you spend X amount is also good.

Northwind

welshfarmer – Member

The reason they are cheap is because of the exchange rate.

Not just that; in fact probably mostly not that, because it also effects price pointing in the first place. Bottom line is different markets have different price structures via their local distribution networl. Schwalbe tyres frinstance wholesale at a lower price in Germany than they do here. Same as Santa Cruz in the states but local enough that we can realistically cross borders.

This, incidentally, is how you can tell CRC etc haven’t had their day- and also why it doesn’t really threaten them. If this imbalance ever becomes truly problematic it’ll no longer be worth running price differential strategies so the manufacturers will change their price (fixing) strategies. But what proportion of UK buyers are actually shopping at bike-discount.de?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I still use Wiggle now and them, but mainly for smaller parts. HiBike and similar Euro shops seem to offer the same products at a good saving depending on exchange rate, but I also use PX sometimes also.

I wouldn’t say CRC have had their day, but I use them a lot less these days.

trademark
    Free Member

Evans, now that there’s one in Durham, I can conveniently collect.
    They pricematch so it’s a no-brainer, living where I do, for stuff that might need returning for whatever reason, or clothing that I may need to check for size.

I still use internet (CRC etc.) for stuff that can’t fail, like the spokes and chain links I’m about to order, they fit through the letterbox so order and forget.

kerley
    Free Member

welshfarmer – Member
    The reason they are cheap is because of the exchange rate.

Not just that; in fact probably mostly not that,

Exchange rate has a lot to do with it. Same with Thomann (music shop) that I have purchased quite a bit from.
    When the £ was weak the prices were close to UK and not worth bothering with.

Not sure if this will change if we leave the EU (would we then pay import charges?)

I still use CRC and Wiggle and find both good on prices for the things I buy. I can usually find stuff cheaper (or at least the same) form eBay shops though.

ninfan
    Free Member

i think it’s more indicative of how certain suppliers have been screwing the vice on the big internet suppliers, both by tightening up their supply chains and threatening to restrict supply.

Of course, this is somewhere between ‘questionable behaviour’ and ‘clearly in breach of’ all sorts of anti competition and resale price maintenance laws, but, well, that’s how the bike trade works…

cjr61

Halfords have been pretty good for me.

Find the item, price match cheapest online then 10% off for BC membership.

Nice

alextemper
    Free Member

No one supporting their LBS then?

I guess saving a couple of quid is more important than helping our local economy, or even national economy if you go shopping overseas.

philxx1975
    Free Member

No one supporting their LBS then?

I guess saving a couple of quid is more important than helping our local economy, or even national economy if you go shopping overseas.

There’s an irony there eh? I wonder how many LBS owners support their local buisnesses.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There’s an irony there eh? I wonder how many LBS owners support their local buisnesses

And prize for sweeping judgement of the day goes to…..

Mine do, and I support then where ever I can. A shop here is more worthwhile than the internet. A way that the lbs can compete is something I hope for, give them the same prices that the internet can get and it would be a game changer

chakaping
    Free Member

CRC may not always be the cheapest but are usually very close and they have really good customer service.

You can’t even call wiggle, which personally I find a bit arrogant so rarely give them my money.

eshershore
    Free Member

my last 3 orders (Shimano road wheels, MTB seatpost/stem and MTB bars)have gone to Wiggle simply because they had the same stock as CRC but considerably cheaper on each item

shipping was quick (3 days) and no issues, found the experience very painless

I noticed they now have an App for IOS and Android, not used it yet but would be interested to see if it works well

BadlyWiredDog

The best thing about Wiggle and CRC is being able to browse sale products ranked by biggest discount. It’s an oddly entertaining insight into a dark netherworld of stuff no-one actually wants to buy at full or even online discounted price.

I’m sure this isn’t really their intention, but it beats actually buying anything. 😉

sq225917
    Free Member

Ninfan has hit the nail on the head.

There seems to be an awful lot of identical pricing around on some items, ever see Schwalbe Magic Mary Super Gravity at anything less than a few pence under £50. There’s lots more examples and none of them serve the end customer.

irc

http://bikesy.co.uk/

Is good for finding the cheapest UK prices.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘has CRC, planet x etc had their day?’ is closed to new replies.