Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Has anyone successfully inflated Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tubeless?
  • captaindanger

They say “tubeless easy” on the box, but it isn’t easy, there seem to be a lot of holes in the sidewall which the sealant isn’t sealing.

That said I have not put them on a bike and ridden them, only inflated a few times and shaken them up to distribute the fluid. When I come back they have deflated.

Oblongbob

I did, and it stayed up fine and didn’t notice much leaking at all…then got a wee puncture that should have sealed when commuting home, but it wouldn’t seal and ended up putting a tube in…which is still in there. I’ll try again when I’ve a spare few mins to take tube out, give inside of the tyre a good clean in case mould release residue or suchlike was preventing the sealant doing it’s thing.

However, while we’re on the subject of leaky sidewalls, I had a real issue with some ice spiker pros oozing air though the sidewalls when I tried to set them up tubeless at strathpuffer. I’m sure they’d been fine tubeless before, but I couldn’t get them to stop leaking despite loads of Stans and copious shaking and riding about on them – had to make a very swift move to tubes as my teammate was due for the changeover any second. So I can empathise…

shermer75
    Free Member

I always wipe the side walls with washing up liquid/water solution and keep on with the shaking until you stop seeing bubbles forming. It helps to have a bucket so you can rest the wheel on it’s side while you give it 5 minutes to test

captaindanger

i can see the sealant (stans) coming out so I know where the holes are, and can shake until they stop but then they start again….

Seems to be a particular area of the tyre which is worse

shermer75
    Free Member

How much pressure are you putting in? Anything over 40psi is pushing it..

captaindanger

Trying 60, so maybe that’s blowing the sealant out, but how do road ones work?

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

No experience with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, but I do run the almost identical looking Vittoria Hyper Voyager tubeless. Unlike the Schwalbe, the Vittorias are not sold as tubeless ready but they went up just fine at 65psi, with no Stans coming through the sidewalls.

Really odd that the officially tubeless ready Supremes are more porous. Could you have been sent the right packaging with the wrong tyres inside? Hard to explain it otherwise.

kjrogers

have these set up on my wife’s bike. Running pressures up to 60psi with no problems. They stayed up for eight months and then both spontaneously deflated.

captaindanger

If anyone digs this up in the future. The only way I managed to get them up was to clean the inside of the tyre with isopropyl to get rid of any residue stopping the sealant sticking, then coating the inside with a layer of copydex, waiting for that to dry then installing as usual. Has stayed up for a week no problems now.

I don’t think they should call it easy.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve seen this leakage before (other brands). If the tyre is labelled as tubeless it shouldn’t leech through the sidewalks. I’d say it’s faulty and take it back.

I actually ran Marathon Plus tyres at 60-70psi tubeless very sucessfully, so it should be fine.
    I’ve had 2in plus MTB tyres up to 80psi to get them to seat too, no issues other than me running out of bottle!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone successfully inflated Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.