Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Has anyone ridden a Lapierre Zesty 514 and Orange 5 Pro? Which did you prefer?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I’ve got a demo on each booked – the five (Diva model) this weekend and the Zesty (women’s version) a week or so after that – I’m pretty excited about both – and was just wondering how people think they compare?

No real reason, I’m just interested – And hopefully it’ll help pass the days while I wait to pick up the Orange!

Cheers!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both (in mens versions) here’s my opinions.

The Zesty is exceptionally well put together, very good looking bike with great components, climbs brilliantly, handles twisty single track even better, is fast as you like, oh did i mention it looks great. Has great finishing touches like anodised bearing bits, little sag gauge on seat stay, carbon mech guard.

The Orange is erm slightly more industrial looking, seemed to have a very active back end and doesn’t climb as well as the zesty.

Both are on a par when it comes to descending.

IMHO the Zesty 514 offers better value, but thats just me.

coopersport1
    Free Member

5 will last longer, plus there is less to go wrong in the first place, have demo’d both and now own 5 SE. Zesty was as good but don’t think longevity is up there with the Orange. + it’s British built and I like that!
    2 Great bikes neither better than the other IMHO, it’ll be down to which one you feel better on, especially as your going for the girly specific one.

boobs

A mate of mine demo’d both and now has a 5. He won’t shut up about it. He thought the 5 descended better.

erny
    Free Member

I’m demoing a zesty on saturday and hopefully a 5 the following weekend

dasnut
    Free Member

heres a top tip from a zesty owner
    you won’t get chainsuck on a 5
    I, and a friend with a zesty both have chainsuck issues with brand new drivechains, and it is VERY annoying.

Crag
    Free Member

If you’re getting chainsuck then maybe your chainrings worn. might not be quite as ‘brand new’ as you reckon.

Might be worth checking your chain as well. Might have stretched.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Chainsuck is a symptom of worn chainrings, not frame design. Although on a raised single swingarm design like the 5 there’s nothing for the sucked chain to jam against.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Cool, thanks guys – nice that there’s a fairly mixed response. Interesting re chainsuck – the simplicity of the Orange does appeal but I think the Zesty will probably fit better (if measurements are to be trusted!) and is much prettier! We’ll see though – not long now ’til I get to try them out!

Thanks again, MM

bowglie

Chainsuck is a symptom of worn chainrings, not frame design.

Hmm…wouldn’t agree with this. I had chainsuck problems with brand new Gary Fisher Sugars back in 2002. Trek (GF parent company) got involved and the problem was improved when a Shimano chainset & SRAM chain was fitted. Trek did say that, in certain situations, Sugars did suffer from chainsuck more than other designs in its range. The chainsuck occured from brand new and with the chain and chainset clean. The chainsuck would get worse the dirtier the drivetrain got. So, IME chainsuck is linked to the frame design and chainline – and if your bike is prone to it from the outset, it can be difficult to completely get rid off – and in the longer term, the frame (depending on the layout) can get chewed up fairly quickly. Personally, I wouldn’t choose a bike that I’d heard had chainsuck issues – no matter how good it handling or looked.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yeah, well it certainly is a factor – just interesting that only some riders report it. I wonder if frame design is an issue – if the size of the frame is an issue too? I’m also looking at the Trek EX8 which is supposed to be a dependable beast…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone ridden a Lapierre Zesty 514 and Orange 5 Pro? Which did you prefer?’ is closed to new replies.