Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Has anyone made/bodged a light diffuser/deflector/reflector for use on the road?
  • Bez

Has anyone previously used a 1000 lumen set up and gone to a B+M 80 lux road-specific system? How do they compare?

The only real comparison I’ve done is when I had my Cyo 60 and was riding alongside someone who had a Toro (not sure which version, but this was in 2012). We agreed the Cyo was broadly equivalent to the Toro on medium in simplistic terms of how much it was illuminating the tarmac.

The Cyo Premium takes it up to 80 lux, which isn’t a huge jump (it doesn’t work linearly) but more importantly the IQ2 reflectors have much wider spread, so it’s much improved at medium speeds and in poor conditions.

Top-end battery lights vomit out far more photons, there’s no question, but the issue with the scattergun approach isn’t just about chucking half the light at the owls in the threes and the retinas in the oncoming drivers, it’s also about how the tarmac is illuminated.

The conical beam and the angle of the road interact: the further you throw a given quantity of light, the lower the proportion of it you find in your eyeball. So conical beams always end up with hotspots in either the near or middle distance depending on how you angle them. The German style beams, however, give much more even apparent illumination. Your eyes adjust to the level of available light as far as possible, so this evenness of illumination can be as important as the simple amount of light being chucked around the place. If your eyes are dealing with a hotspot in the middle distance, they’re going to struggle a little with the far distance that you’re concentrating on at speed.

You just can’t give an objective comparison of beams that are so ideologically different. There’s a lot of cognitive business going on, it’s not just physics.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

wow Bez – that is a very detailed and useful post. I am really learning a lot here:)

T1000
    Free Member

the Glow ring on the new Lumicycles is more like an eyebrow to avoid distracting the user

MoreCashThanDash

There is a beam comparison tool on the Road.cc review of the B&M light.

The B&M beam is really good, definite cut off to avoid dazzle, good peripheral beam as well, and it is perfectly good for descending at 25-30mph on road, but switching to that from my old 1200 lumen MaxxD flood light it feels less bright than it is, if that makes sense.

You get used to having that massive floodlight effect with off road lights and have to adjust back to what 10-12 years ago were still amazing levels of light

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone made/bodged a light diffuser/deflector/reflector for use on the road?’ is closed to new replies.