Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Has anyone installed a proper lift in a house?
  • zippykona

Due to a few tumbles my in laws are looking to sell their very nice big house and move to a bungalow.
    Bungalows are rare and in areas that aren’t that useful. So rather than go through the strain of moving and all the costs involved I think they should get a proper lift installed. They have plenty of room to have one.
    My Mother inlaw would never have a stair lift. Has anyone done similar, what sort of costs were there?

cchris2lou

You could just get one of those platforms they have in sports centre to comply with disabilities law.

globalti
    Free Member

We considered fitting a stairlift in my MIL’s house and you can rent a second-hand lift quite cheaply, IIRC it was about £75 a month. However the wiring in her house is old and knackered so we reckoned no arse-covering stairlift company would want to take the risk.

MrOvershoot

Yes we had one installed 3 years ago for my wife, she’s unable to walk at all these days so the previously installed stairlift was a no go with carers so I had This Terry Harmony wheelchair lift installed
    They do other models if your not using a wheelchair.
    Cost was around £8,000 and took 2 days to install.

I don’t even notice it now and if its up out of the dining room all you can see are 2 shallow rails running up the wall.

zippykona

Overshoot that looks perfect and not too expensive,thanks.

windydave13
    Free Member

Or one of these so you can pretend you’re being beamed up to USS Enterprise 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

In order to provide balance you should also have a firemans pole.

binners

zippykona

In order to provide balance you should also have a firemans pole.

Or a helter skelter on the outside of the house.

binners

Or a selection of water slides?

hooli

We considered fitting a stairlift in my MIL’s house and you can rent a second-hand lift quite cheaply, IIRC it was about £75 a month. However the wiring in her house is old and knackered so we reckoned no arse-covering stairlift company would want to take the risk.

All thew stairlifts I have seen plug in with a normal 3 pin plug so that shouldn’t be an issue.

DrP

My Uncle (who owns a chocolate factory) once had a lift installed. Made of glass it was.
    Crazy contraption – up, down, left, into space. Madness.

Stay away from that firm…

DrP

perchypanther
    Free Member

My Uncle (who owns a chocolate factory) once had a lift installed. Made of glass it was.
    Crazy contraption – up, down, left, into space. Madness.

Stay away from that firm…

Sounds like a complete Wonka.

T1000
    Free Member

its worth considering the rental route, lot of people install lifts and find that their conditions degenerate in only a few years before needing residential care.

zippykona

Money,if my mother inlaw actually opens her purse is not an issue.

akira

I remember seeing Cedric Gracias house in a video, he had a lift in it. Was pretty cool.

fionap

I’ve specified a couple of platform lifts for high-end houses before for this sort of function – http://www.stannahlifts.co.uk/platform-lifts/vertical/midilift-sl.asp
    Not sure how the price would compare to the Terry lift thing above.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone installed a proper lift in a house?’ is closed to new replies.