Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Has anyone here been to Leogang?
  • sharkattack

Never been to Leogang and I don’t know anyone who has so here I am.

The Mrs. and I are going to Fort William this year and we’re thinking of getting the ferry afterwards and driving to Austria. Both to check out the next round of the world cup and to get a few days DH riding and camping.

We did the same last year when we went from Fort Bill to Val di Sole. You can’t ride there but it was a good event and the start of a 2 month road trip so it worked. We’ll only have a week and a half at best this time so we’re wondering if it’s worth the drive.

I really want some hot and nasty DH bike action and she just wants a few days away. Plus she’s becoming a total WCDH geek.

Any tips?

spw3

I went five or six years ago. Loved it, nice DH bike park. There’s nothing at aloe gang itself but I stayed in Saalbach about 20 minutes drive away. Saalbach is a nice village and will be a better bet for the Other Half. It also has DH and xC tracks and at least one of the hotels is bike friendly.

Go for it. I took a Gemini with 2.5″ tyres and it was great. Anything similar or bigger would be a good choice.

specky4eyes
    Free Member

Mrs Specky4eyes and myself went last year to watch a round of the downhill world cup and the 4x world championships. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there and aim to go back sometime. We were in our panel van conversion and camped (rather expensively) on the ski station car park. We had electric hook up and free showers/hot water/toilets. We had our road bikes and MTBs with us and enjoyed riding some of the trails on the bike park. There are many trails to try, I think the big 5 challenge is probably worth doing. We also did some road riding and the roads are relatively quiet and smooth surfaced. Saalbach is a short ride away and was a handy place for shopping and meals. There is so much to do in the area as you’re only a stone’s throw away from Zell am See and Kaprun.

alpin
    Free Member

been several times. often stop by on my way home from the South if i’m in the works van and not in a hurry.

went with the GF a few years back and stayed in Saalbach (Jokercard, google it!) although we only headed over to Leogang once. full on DH isn’t my thing,tbh, but the trails are more than rideable on my DB Alpine. Saalabach/Hinterglemm is more trials/flowy.

also some great trails around Zell.

normally you can camp for free on the carpark at Leogang. not sure how they manage it during WC. however there are plenty of nicely tucked away spaces around the area to park up for the night.

Harry_the_Spider

I read it as LEGOLAND. I’ve been to the on in Manchester and it was rubbish.

However, I have nothing to add about Leogang.

sharkattack

I think you’ve just made my mind up. I didn’t need much of a push to be fair but wouldn’t go if people said it was crap.

garlando

Drove down a few years ago, camped by the lake in zell am see. Absolutely stunning and loads more to do than leogang. Hired a bike and did a mornings riding from the cable car in leogang, some great runs. Check ‘flying gangster’ on YouTube. You can do a spot of boarding on the glacier at kaprun too if the mood takes you. Desperate to go back but this year’s round coincides with daughters birthday.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Went to saalbach and wargrain last year but didn’t get to leogang and it’s a great area for visiting, we stayed at
    Austrian Alps – Haus Kienreich
    James is advertising re this years World Cup racing at the moment and he will no doubt show you some of his local trails too!

Suggsey
    Free Member
    sharkattack

Bump for the Sunday night shift. Finally got a chance to sit down and fire up Google maps and decide where we’re going. We think we’re going to give Fort William a miss now and just do a week in Austria then a few days sight seeing in Germany on the way home after the world cup.

Just want somewhere to stay that has decent tent camping, good amount of trails from beginner to gnar-bar and some urban activity.

Currently not seeing much in the way of campsites apart from grubhof.com which looks nice and has excellent reviews but seems to be miles away from the riding.

Any knowledge much appreciated.

Drove down a few years ago, camped by the lake in zell am see

This looks amazing but can’t see any lift assisted riding yet.

alpin
    Free Member

sight seeing in Germany

head intot he Bayrische Wald (Bavarian Forest) on the border of Chezsch Rep. bike park Geisskopf is brilliant. better than many alpine parks, IMO.

Saalbach is a 10 min drive from Zell. you can even get a bus with your bike up into the valley.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone here been to Leogang?’ is closed to new replies.