Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Has anyone got a deep fat fryer. . .
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m really tempted to by one of the little £20 ones and chuck in lots of goodies! Looks way more fun than a bread maker!

camo16
    Free Member

Not Scottish. Sorry, can’t advise. 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

Yes got given one never ever used it though

binners

I’m in complete agreement with you. Breadmakers are well gay!. I’ve looked longingly at those little ones too. Short of actually having a kebab house in an extension to your kitchen, they’re the next best thing

I remember having one when i was a student. I used to get in from the pub, absolutely leathered, then make chips and stuff. How I didn’t die in a house fire I’ll never know 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

TJ has several.

He loves to play “toss the Camembert (into the fryer)”

He wrote one off with a 22lb Christmas turkey one year.

derek_starship
    Free Member

How I never died in a house fire I’ll never know

Biggest cause of house fires in Salford the pissed up chip butty run.

derek_starship
    Free Member

How I never died in a house fire I’ll never know

Biggest cause of house fires in Salford the pissed up chip butty run.

binners

Thats where I was a student. It must be genetic 😀

xcgb
    Free Member

Breadmakers are well gay!.

No way – bread rocks!

binners

It does indeed! So do chips. Put them together with tomato sauce and mountains of vinegar and there you have it. Post pub nirvana 😀

Taff
    Free Member

No way – bread rocks!

What are bread rocks?! 🙄

Used to ahev one but it was deemed unhealthy when her highness moved in. I loved it… sausages, chips, onion rings.. beautiful. Pain to keep clean now. Nowadays I only eat grain and lettuce so have no time for such things 😡

Cougar

Binners is wise.

I have a deep fat fryer, only because I’m northern, it’s called a chip pan.

Cougar

MRanger156
    Free Member

We bought one when I did a ski season as was bored of eating the chalet food. Sandwich american on demand was great but the 1/2 stone I lost in the previous 3 months was swiftly put back on!

I wouldn’t buy one now as wont be able to shift the weight.

Junkyard
    Free Member

+ 1 chip pan it is your birth right

binners

I think I’m going to gently broker the subject of a deep fat fryer this evening. Just a small one, you know. for doing chinese stuff maybe. Yeah…. Seaweed and that. Healthy stuff. Not just chips and onion rings, no! And no, course I wouldn’t just bung a load of sausages in there at midnight. Tsk! I’m not that irresponsible!

You’ll hardly notice it honest. Nestled on the kitchen top, where the fruit bowl used to be. No, I don’t know what happened to it either. Weird

ourkidsam
    Free Member

What is a ‘sandwich american’ and where can I get one?

tails
    Free Member

**** buying a chip pan I will burn the house down. No I think these fryers keep the temperature constant!

So anyone actually got one? Do it binners we could make stuff to show the idieter’s 😀

uplink
    Free Member

What is a ‘sandwich american’ and where can I get one?

Probably an Elvis special and maybe the cafe at Graceland, dunno but you’d think they’d do something to commemorate it

binners

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MRanger156
    Free Member

Sandwich American – Baguette filled with burger and chips. Served in most French ski resorts.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not in my house – they flipping stink! I’ll happily go out to eat anything deep fried 😀

And I can shallow fry in the super new pan I didn’t get from Tescos.

chvck
    Free Member

Had one until recently, I mostly used it to be a bit lazy doing chips in it. Also handy for making ace chicken thighs etc… dip em in flour then throw into the fryer, nice and crispy coating with juicy chicken!

Deep fried choc ice didn’t come out too well though :/

Oh, also, they do make the kitchen stink and the steam or whatever it is discolours everything and makes stuff greasy!

binners

T’interweb says its this

Looks rubbish! Can’t see the appeal myself

uplink
    Free Member

needs battering and frying again IMO

whippersnapper
    Free Member

we have one, grandparents offloaded it to us when they decided they got to an age they didn’t want to be playing with hot oil.

They are ace. Yes, it fills the kitchen with smell for a bit but home made chips are great. Home made scotch eggs are even better.

MRanger156
    Free Member

That’s not it. More like this:

binners

So far there has been nothing to dissuade me from my pursuit of one*.
    It seems utter madness that I, as well as every household in the country, don’t already own one

* or more accurately my pursuit of permission for one

derek_starship
    Free Member

I believe they are great for making greasy arsebiscuits. What not to like?

lunge

Binners, those onion rings and chips are out of the oven, you can tell by the uneven colouring. Same for the chicken as well, though they may have seen a BBQ.

You should try deep fried bacon, now that really is filth.

tails
    Free Member

Deep fried sausage with kebab wrapped around it! 🙂

binners

Deep fried bacon you say?

Deep fried sausage with kebab wrapped around it! Dear God!!! Surely that represents perfection itself on the way back from the pub?!!!!

lunge

I worked at a well known hotel chain on breakfast shifts whilst at uni. One morning the breakfast chef didn’t show so myself and the duty manager decided the only way we could get breakfast out for 250 people was to deep fat fry everything. Bacon, sausages, mushrooms, hash browns, black pudding, everything went in there.

And let me tell you, we got more compliments for the breakfast that day than the hotel ever got, the punters loved it.

portlyone

Binners, next time you get the tempura veg at Tampopo wonder loudly how nice it would be to make your own… 😉

You can buy packets of the tempura mix from china town + tonic water/Asaki and hey presto, tons of nomage!

Mine came in quite handy last year with a glut of courgettes to finish off.

Also, thrice cooked chips are the best.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

WANT

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I was given one by my folks (they’d bought it but decided it was too unhealthy so it was still in the box). Took it home but her indoors took a look at it and said, “That’s not coming in the house.” So it stayed in my van for 3 months. Then, luckily, she got a life threatening nerve disease and had to go into hospital so I took the chance to sneak it inside.

It’s brilliant for doing stuff really quickly and anything in crispy batter is great. You realise how rubbish oven cooked chips or onion rings are. Stuff that takes 20-30min in the oven (plus warming up time) takes 3-4min in the fryer.

The Zenith so far was one night when I got back cold and wet from a night ride. A note said, “Dinner in the fridge.” I found a plate of quiche and salad. Not quite what I fancied so I stuck on the fryer and threw in some chips to compliment the quiche.

Then I thought, “This quiche could do with warming up and it seems a bit limp….” So I put the quiche in the fryer too. It was great, all crispy and nicely browned.

I do live near Stonehaven, home of the deep fried Mars Bar, so maybe it’s maintaining the local tradition 🙂

Cougar

luckily, she got a life threatening nerve disease

Quote of the week. You’re a bad man.

Well done.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’ve just been to a mates for a barbecue. Less than three hours ago I ate two burgers, two sausages, a chicken breast and three burger buns. And catching up with this thread has still had me feeling starving.

And laughing out loud at the nerve disease thing. Sublime post.

NZCol

^ +1 – spat coffee on my monitor with that one. Deep fried quiche, now there is an oxymoron !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone got a deep fat fryer. . .’ is closed to new replies.