• This topic has 65 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Has anyone "gone back" from a dropper post?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nope, and wouldn’t ever go back to without one.

D0NK

Anyone else hopeless now without one?

Been using QRs since I started MTBing and always been a lot faster and more comfortable on the downs with the saddle dropped. If droppers were banned I’d still be stopping at the top of downhills and lowering my saddle, but yes if for whatever reason I cba stopping and lowering the seat then I proper mince down hills.

Droppers are great for trail centres or for racing around up/down hitting everything at full speed without pausing, the more social ride up regroup at top ride down regroup a QR is fine, hike up plummet down as others said droppers are less useful (and all that extra weight you have to carry up too!) as I have to stop and lower my dropper post anyway cos on proper steep stuff I want my saddle slammed.

so:
    heavy
    reportedly unreliable* – certainly more to potentially go wrong
    expensive
    bloody brilliant functionally

*mine’s doing ok so far but I’m mollycoddling it a bit.

mcnultycop

Well I came in here to subtly spam my dropper I’d just listed in the classifieds to find a stranger had already done it for me. ^^^^^^^

I can’t live without mine on my AM/Enduro/etc bike. I need one on my HT too, but as I’ve broken my elbow it can wait a while so I’m flogging it unused! Once I’m back on the bike it’ll be roadie first, HT mincing for a while before I do anything steep downhill. Or jumpy. Or fun.

jonathan
    Free Member

I used one for ages, then it died. It took me ages to get a replacement sorted (ended up with free new one although out of warranty). But by then I’d ridden loads without one and realised that although I liked them, I didn’t like them enough!

Twice I got that new post ready to fit, but once you take the nice light post off and hold it in one hand and the dropper in the other the weight difference really strikes home. That, combined with the reliability issues, meant I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. It’s still in the box if anyone’s interested – brand new 30.9 Hilo 😉

I’m never in that much of a rush that I don’t feel I can’t take the time to lossen a QR and drop the saddle, which I do quite a bit.

riddoch

I never remembered to change height, so I’ve gone back to fixed.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Started off without one on my new bike as I thought why bother as it’s easy enough to stop undo the qr, but it ended up being such a faff stopping at every decent climb or descent or bit in the trail with good jumps to put it down or back up. Decided to pick up a Reverb and I can honestly say I’ll never go back to a traditional seat post on the mtb as the dropper just makes things so much easier.

mcnultycop

On the HT I’d quite like one without a remote, so I can stick a nice light seatpost in if I am just riding easy XC. No decent ones seem to exist in 27.2.

rooster42
    Free Member

What I can’t understand is why I can’t ride my bike without a dropper anymore! I managed for 12 years without one, but now every time I take it off (every 6 months for servicing ) and ride without it, my bike feels alien and chucks me off as soon as the terrain gets rough, as soon as I drop the post the bike comes back to life.

My advice is don’t get one because once your hooked, every bike you own needs one! 🙂

Tom

nemesis
    Free Member

No decent ones seem to exist in 27.2.

Original gravity dropper, surely?

Or the hilo without remote option.

nemesis
    Free Member

(anyone want to swap my 27.2 hilo for a 31.6 one (new frame 🙂 )?

walleater

I removed mine for a while and didn’t really miss it, as most of my riding involves going up for a long time, and then going down for a long time.

I have got another one for my new frame. I do use it but funnily enough I find it most useful when riding on the road! It’s great to drop the post while waiting a traffic lights. No straining to reach the floor, and no need to get of the saddle 😀

Northwind

A while back I whacked my bad leg a bit and decided to do some turbotrainering to try and get it moving again. Couldn’t get on the turbo bike, fitted my gravity dropper to it so I could get on and off. ENDUROOOOOOOOOO

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ride what and how you like, but personally I think they are perhaps one of the best additions to my riding for a long while.

A lot of the riding I do is short climbs and descents so when I’m on some steep stuff it really helps to be able to put it out of the way but then have it back when you reach the bottom and have to quickly start climbing again.

Wouldnt be without one now.

badllama
    Free Member

I could never go back just love mine massive help when riding new and mixed terrains.

Speshpaul

7, if your mates haven’t got one then you spend as long waiting anyway:-)

gone back to hardly ever dropping the post now, and yes there are some steep bits around here. Last time I went to CYB I dropped the saddle by an inch at the start and left it there.

Except….. there is one bit of trail on my doorstep, Son and Daughter of Cliff, steep down, steep up and steep down in a few minutes all fast. the dropper was perfect there. Then it broke.

GavinB

I’ve just grabbed a 2nd hand Reverb for my FS, to compliment the one on my hardtail. I was using a Gravity Dropper Turbo, but disliked using it with a big shim, as my current bikes are both 31.6.

probably could get rid of the GD now, as it’s just sat in the garage doing nowt. I tried to tempt Mrs B to use it on her ti456, but she didn’t get on with the ‘industrial’ feel of it.

rickon
    Free Member

heavy – what, 300g more than a normal post? How much does that camelbak weigh?
    reportedly unreliable* – pffft… maybe 3 years ago when crank brothers was a real option
    expensive… £120? How much do people spend on tyres, or wheels, or carbon bars? They very good value for money for what they deliver. Biggest improvement to riding enjoyment in a single item.
    bloody brilliant functionally.. yep

Northwind

TBH the only real ride-bothering failure I’ve had from a dropper post was when a seatclamp bolt snapped- and I’ve had exactly that happen with standard posts too. Occasionally they’ve gone a little temperamental (bit like when I bent my Thomson), only real difference is that they require occasional servicing.

The weird thing is, the first dropper post ever made, the gravity dropper, has always been highly reliable. Quite a few of those that have copied it, have been far less reliable, but people bought them anyway despite knowing full well they were buying temperamental kit, basically because they looked nicer. And then people queued up to buy the original reverb even when it was clearly a paying beta test, because hydraulic! Rockshox!

oldnick

I’ve got a few bikes but only one dropper which lives on the trail bike.
    I’m quite happy riding with the seat up most of the time, but that bike gets to see more of the silly stuff and a dropper means I don’t have to put a foot down if some fun comes into view.
    The biggest help it provides is setting off on really steep inclines though, setting off without wheelying straight off the back is great 🙂
    Do I miss it on the other bikes? Nope.

continuity
    Free Member

I’d rather have a dropper and ride a hardtail than full suspension without.

moshimonster
    Free Member

The weird thing is, the first dropper post ever made, the gravity dropper, has always been highly reliable.

Early ones were prone to snapping at the top of the seat post. Nothing to do with the dropper mechanism. I had one fail after about 2 years average usage, but I noticed that the warranty replacement had a subtle design change at the point of failure and has been fine for the last 5+ years. It’s a fugly old post, but it does work well.

Northwind

Aye- and tbh that’s another weirdy, so many dropper posts have seatclamps that suck. I’ve had 2 KSs, a Gravity Dropper, and now a Reverb, not one of them’s very good. One of the KS ones is pretty terrible. How do you succesfully design a complicated reliable seatpost then screw up the clamp? Actually you can buy a lot of standard posts with rubbish clamps too. How does that even happen, it’s not brain surgery…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well having had a dropper for the last 4 years and had one failure which was the original KS out the box back in 2010 and having been running them since I’ve not got a problem with reliability.
    Weight? Not that much considering what it does.
    Cost? Reasonable when you add the functionality in there.

Yesterday I was riding a new trail, it’s got some great technical down on it then some level technical riding with some up too. The dropper was great, out the way when needed, up enough at others then right up to pedal. Only issue was I need to go and threadlock the bolts on the clamp again…

vincienup
    Free Member

I actually hate riding without one now simply because most of the people I ride with.have them and if I stop to adjust a post I have to catchup. This might have novelty sprint value to begin with but gets old very fast.

I’ve had a Reverb on the bouncy bike for well over 18 months now and still find myself making adjustments to height as I ride if the terrain justifies it rather than simply for ups and downs.

Purists continue to hate them but honestly, they’re one if those things I would recommend never trying if you weren’t toying with the idea of buying one already.

Last Christmas when I was riding all over the peaks in the snow and ice on my >X< I even found myself working out where to put a release for a dropper on the drop bars…

br
    Free Member

On the HT I’d quite like one without a remote, so I can stick a nice light seatpost in if I am just riding easy XC. No decent ones seem to exist in 27.2.

That is what I do, and have an X-Fusion Hilo.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone "gone back" from a dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.