Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Has anyone done their towing licence
  • wukfit
    Free Member

It’s looking like I may have to take a test to get my B+E entitlement (up to 3500kg), and wondered if this is something anyone has done?
    I’m thinking that it’s probably best to get a bit of training from a local company and then use their car and trailer for the test, I’ve not had much experience reversing with trailers before (odd bit in boat yards etc.)
    Is it something worth doing anyway so I have it, or wait till my work requires me to have it (self employed so have to pay for it myself either way)

scotroutes

Us oldies don’t need to.

matt_outandabout

I taught 20+ outdoor instructors through D1+E.

It is worth getting some proper lessons, but also plenty of practice.

There are key ‘must do’ bits, that an instructor will know and impart.
    It is worth knowing a few of the test routes, again instructor will know.
    Instructor will also have some great prompts such as tape marks on rear wheel arch for distance.
    It is really worth practicing reversing, hitching etc. Remember that to sit next to you with L plates on now requires tested +E, not grandfather rights.

matt_outandabout

.Us oldies don’t need to.

If it is for work as OP says, as a professional driver, it is good practice to be tested and trained.

timber

Did mine with one session to be reminded of test conditions, but had spent a few years towing already in rather ‘grey’ circumstances. The test reversing manoeuvre isn’t too tricky, just hook up and reverse a kink into a bay.

Also used the training centres setup as we didn’t have a trailer that matched test requirements.

It’s nice being legit, especially as the ministry are quite often in a layby up the road from work.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I done it with the military and it was useful. You are taught how to safely attach and detach the trailer and in the correct order then there’s reversing and manoeuvres as well as general driving with the trailer. Do your Highway Code too on driving with a trailer. Do you need to do another theory test? If so, swat up on that!

Only used it once since passing mind.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone done their towing licence’ is closed to new replies.