Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Has anyone been to East Boston, MA?
  • HansRey

I have the best part of a day in Boston in July. Not sure whether to stay in East Boston, close to the airport (early flight the next day) or stay in the downtown area.

What does the hive mind think?

tonyg2003

Downtown! It’s really not much of an area where the airport is. Instead go Downtown and walk around the sights of where us beastly brits were beaten in the tax dispute. Quite a nice compact city in terms of downtown.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Great city is Boston.Lived there for a couple of years in the late 90s,Southie.
    Not much to see in East Boston apart from the airport. Downtown is close by and a great little city to pretty much see the most of in a day. Newbury st is where it all happens. Some good bits of history dotted around the downtown area to be found.You would get much more out of your time Downtown.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been there for 18 months on and off with work. Where about will you be staying in East Boston? Some rough estates down in that part of town.

Best place to stop is probably out around Harvard as you still have good links into downtown but have the nicer bars and places to eat.

HansRey

great, thanks all. The wikitravel page for east boston was pretty empty.

I’ll check out Downtown Crossing and the Harvard areas. I’m looking forward to this trip lots!

lodious
    Free Member

Been to the modern art gallery, which I think is on the border of East Boston…it was OK. Preferred Harvard area TBH.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I tend to stay at the Hilton in Back Bay when there for work, nicely central and close to all the goodness of Back Bay, Newbury, etc. Also, a nice stroll towards Fenway Park, too (There’s a great beer shop next to the petrol station on Boylston that way)

Back Bay Bicycles on the corner of Commonwealth and Mass is worth a visit, as is the Patagucci store on Newbury.

Lovely city, really enjoyed my times there.

verses

Had a weekend there a few years ago, it’s a really nice city.

For some easy sightseeing this is worth doing;

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

No need to do the guided tour. Just download the map and follow the markers.

konagirl
    Free Member

The other half stayed there with work recently. Stay downtown, use public transport, very easy and cheap. From the airport you want the Metro Silver Line SL1 bus which takes you to South Station. It runs every ~15 minutes and starts early enough to get you back at the airport at 05:50-05:55 so should be plenty early enough for your outbound flight. Have fun!

BillMC

Nice walk across the bridge from Boston to Harvard/Cambridge passing a bike shop or two. O’Learys is good to drink at in Boston a bit further south on the T. Check out the seafood but beware places that cook it all in batter. Nice little city but I much prefer Manhattan.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone been to East Boston, MA?’ is closed to new replies.