Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • has anyone been to Cuba??
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon,
    Following on from yesterday’s thread we have had several recommendations of Cuba as a good family destination. What dies the STW think? Tbh I really like the idea, as does mrsvader….

LHS
    Free Member

Not sure I could go to Cuba whilst the people still live under such oppression. Human rights there really are still pretty dire.

Dickyboy

One of thee very few places my brother has revisited, so its a yes from me 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

Well ive been to Argentina, mrsvader was in China a couple of years ago, Cuba is probably no worse than those…

zippykona

The food is a throw back to the 70s. Those cute American cars put out a lot of fumes. The people feel hard done by, they are not compared to hotel workers in egypt.
    They have great snorkeling and you will get ill on day 3.
    Great history though . I’m not in a rush to go back.

daftvader
    Free Member

1 for, 1 against… Any more??

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I loved it, especially Havana and Trinidad. I would not go to one of the all-inclusive places though. Spent 2 days at one – enough.

The music is great, the food variable – some brilliant, some bland.

Some people trying to rip you off, but less hassle than many places.

We did 4 centres with Taxis from place to place. There is some good road cycling territory too.

RustySpanner

onandon
    Free Member

I’m leaving next week for 3 week trip to Cuba. I’ll let you know when I’m back.

olly2097
    Free Member

Went to Havana for a week then to cayo coco for a week.

Lovely people.
    Very very safe. Safer than here.
    Beautiful place.
    The food ain’t that bad. The mojitos flow, a few cans of buckanero and cristal.
    Would love to go back.

A few jineteros but they are funny more than anything.

Just learn “no me moleste” and you’ll be fine.

Go before the Americans spoil it with burger king and KFC.

Also go when the Canadian teens aren’t on holiday.

mefty
    Free Member

Some time since I have been (15 years) but Havana was great but the music, nightlife and the bars are some of its great attractions so less suited to a young family, the beach resorts are ok but I wouldn’t go for just them.

loddrik
    Free Member

Been to Cayo Coco. Not really authentic Cuba in the way that Havana is. But it was lovely. Amazing beaches and warm clear blue water.

daftvader
    Free Member

Seeing as we have a 1 year old and an 8 year old we are looking at all inclusive. Plus this is the first time we will have been abroad with the kids, before we have just done camping or hostels or been separately!

shadowrider
    Free Member

I went to Cayo-Guilermo, beautiful beaches, really nice people and really shit food, it also had a distinct lack of air con for such a hot place.

2bit

Went a few years back – 2 weeks all in at Cayo Coco with 4 days in Havana.

The all in Cayo beach part was OK – food not brilliant, nice warm seas n lovely beach BUT not particularly wow.

Havana was awesome – we made our own way to the coach station in the middle of the country & bus’d it to Havana. Met some lovely people (our taxi driver was a doctor?!), saw lots of Cuban sights & Havana was one of the most sensual places we’ve been. Mojitos in La Nacional bar felt right and the sights & sounds of the town were great.

Now we have little bit & looking at holidays, don’t think Cuba would be top 5

daftvader
    Free Member

where would be in your top 5 then 2bit? ive never done a holiday outside of the uk with minivader and minimissvader….

Jaz1979
    Free Member

We went back in 2010, and stayed in Varadero – would we go back? Absolutely, we had a fantastic time – a place I had wanted to visit for years and it did not disappoint.
    At no time did we feel unwelcome. The Cubans we chatted to on our little wanders around Havana were more proud than hard done by, and certainly knew how to let their hair down.
    If you want little England with Baked Beans and Fish & Chips in the sunshine then Cuba is not for you, I suggest praying for a proper English summer or heading down to the Costa del Sol

daftvader
    Free Member

little england isnt what we want otherwise we would have stayed in the uk and gone back to Cornwall again!!! 😀

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Been 3 times to different parts, great people, beautiful country. Yes its population is poor but been to a lot worse places.
    Havana is a must see place, like mentioned above see it before the Americans come flooding back.

thorlz
    Free Member

Watching this thread with intetest.

Going in six weeks to Guardalavaca, all inclusive (not my bag really, but worth it alone for the lads icecream / my other halves Barcardi intake).

We shall do our usual of one night in/one night out routine.

Looking forward to the snorkeling 🙂

sideshowdave
    Free Member

Going in six weeks to Guardalavaca, all inclusive (not my bag really, but worth it alone for the lads icecream / my other halves Barcardi intake).

I’ve been there, great place to do some road cycling (if you can take a bike with you)

DrJ

Yep – going in 4 weeks – the same day as Obama 🙁 Bad timing!!

2bit

littlebit is 1 1/2 & we haven’t gone anywhere with him yet but we’re currently looking at Spain (Maj or Men NOT UK on tour), S of France & Sicily. Beautiful beaches, not too far to travel, culture/activities if required & not too expensive (Sicily possibly not). Would rather build upto a long haul flight & being abroad with him before jumping right in with a transatlantic.

If we did want to venture further afield for more tropical climes it’d be Thailand (amazing beaches, cheaper, amazing natural beauty, wildlife & food) or Sri Lanka (not been but friends have & all reports are amazing plus elephants!) above Cuba.

Don’t get me wrong Cuba is amazing but with a little un not interested in Havana or anything other than animals, playing & swimming its effectively a nice beach holiday with average food at the end of a 10hr flight.

Saying that with Ronald McDonald on his way it maybe best do it whilst its still Cuban…

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Fantastic island. Avoid the all-inclusive, maybe rent a car to see the best of the country. Stay in Havana for the real Cuban experience.
    Get there before the Americans take it over (again).

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input. I reckon it’s a go, will be talking with the boss over tge weekend.

zippykona

Cuba is not a yank free zone. We were surrounded by them while we watched them beat us in the world cup.
    One of the worst days of my life.

daftvader
    Free Member

I can cope with the odd American, especially if it means 29degree sea temperature and rum!!!

slowoldman

I’ve never been but a mate of mine goes at least once a year and loves it. Great atmosphere, friendly people, etc.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘has anyone been to Cuba??’ is closed to new replies.