Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Has anyone been on a family holiday to Morocco?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Any tips, good/bad experiences – thanks

Conor
    Free Member

No, just a 1o day coach tour with uni years ago. Loved it. Unless you are staying in a coastal resort I wouldn't think it would be the best hol for young kids. Then again, it would be a great cultural experience for them. I'd happily take my kids there. Not that I have any, or have any intention of having any any time soon!

Sorry, apart from that, no useful advice!!!

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks

jonb
    Free Member

Again not a family holiday I went on but it is put forward as a familly friendly holiday destination. The adventure company runs a family trip if you want an organised tour or just want some inspiration.

I imagine it would depend on your kids as much as the destination.

roper
    Free Member

It might depend on what part of Morocco?
    I have been a few times in the North and have met lots friendly people there. Great food on the whole and I also like some of the more traditional music. Without generalizing too much, you will probably find most Moroccans love children and will go out of their way to be nice to your family.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks

Mainly Marrakech with a few day trips

9 year old children

IdleJon

I've been to Morocco a few times over the years, biked over the Atlas mountains, beach hol in Agadir etc.

Last year I took the family to Marrakech – wife, 5yr old and 2 yr old. We all loved it. Stayed in a nice hotel in the Palmeraie (Hotel Tikida Gardens), took the taxi in to the centre almost every day. The kids were fascinated by EVERYTHING – camels, snake charmers, the souk, the caleches.

Locals very friendly, and very good with the kids.

Be very careful with any food that's not piping hot, or has been washed in the local water – you'll develop the worst stomach bug ever otherwise.

The hotel we stayed in had the only MTB hire service in Marrakech – decent Kona full sus).

It's worth going to the Majorelle Gardens – they are gorgeous – and if possible try a trip into the mountains for some stunning scenery.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Be very careful with any food that's not piping hot, or has been washed in the local water – you'll develop the worst stomach bug ever otherwise.

This is a worry!

kitebikeski
    Free Member

The hotel we stayed in had the only MTB hire service in Marrakech – decent Kona full sus)

What is the biking like round there?? Also keen to go and would like to combine biking, Morrocan stuff and beach to appeal to all members of the family.

IdleJon

@jamesgarbett – the stomach bug can indeed be very bad, but it doesn't take much care to avoid it. Only drink sealed bottled water, don't wash anything washed in water (fruit or veg), if it's a cooked meal avoid anything that's not hot or just looks dodgy.

When I went on a riding hol there 11 years ago I was the only one not to come down with it, but this was because the others didn't believe what I was telling them. Last year with family, we were all absolutely fine.

@kitebikeski – the riding in the Atlas was mainly 4×4 tracks and mule tracks when I went there on a guided tour with Exodus. Long climbs and DHs. I didn't manage to hire a bike when I went back last year, so I'm not sure what the riding is like around Marrakech itself. Disappointing I'd assume, as the terrain is mainly scrubby desert.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks Jon

Jerome
    Free Member

Was there recently.
    Top location.
    Very easy to get around using the old mercedes cabs that run between cities.
    That windy place is only half day drive from marrakech.
    Great for kids as the locals love them are are very nice
    G/f got the runs bad which was not good
    J.

ozzo
    Free Member

just got back from Marrakech – the Moroccans love kids and are very welcoming. Even my mrs said that she probably wouldn't feel threatened on her own. Souks, gardens and a 4×4 trip into the mountains made for a brill week away. I certainly wouldn't have been bothered if this volcano made us stay there for a while longer.

IdleJon

ozzo – Member
    just got back from Marrakech – the Moroccans love kids and are very welcoming. Even my mrs said that she probably wouldn't feel threatened on her own. Souks, gardens and a 4×4 trip into the mountains made for a brill week away. I certainly wouldn't have been bothered if this volcano made us stay there for a while longer.

I thought my wife might not like it, being a dusty, dirty 3rd World city. She loved it and regularly nags to go back, as do the kids.

squin
    Free Member

Not Morocco, but next door to Tunisia. I believe that the culture and environment is very similar. Tunisia is a moderate Muslim society.

My kids are 7 and 4 and we absolutely loved it. Really friendly people, great value for money, has a nice edge to it in the soukes etc eg you have to haggle for everything.

Kids and women are safe. They have strong ethics regarding bad behaviour, for example if a woman is even approached inappropriately, strangers in the street will berrate (sp?) and shame the offender very vocally and defend the woman.

Food was great and the best place we ate was in a narrow back street where the place looked like a lock-up garage and only had 5 tables, the owner was unbelieveably welcoming and cooked everything fresh – 6 people, 2 courses and drinks £23 and no dodgy stomach!

They love kids and it's common for them to walk past your kids and do things like pinch their cheeks gently and even sometimes they might get a kiss from the old ladies with no teeth. We found this all a little odd for the first couple of days, but they don't mean harm and it's just their way of expressing delight at small children.

Loads to see and do with a real sense of history and culture, plus great weather and lovely beaches.

If Morocco is anything like Tunisia, I would highly reccommend it, probably the best family holiday that we have ever had.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone been on a family holiday to Morocco?’ is closed to new replies.