• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Has a tv celebrity "saved" a shop/business in your town?
  • zippykona

Gordon Ramsey “rescued” a restaurant near us and introduced The Ramsey Burger to the menu.
    It tasted like poo and the service was terrible. Now closed.
    Mary Portas waved her magic wand over a ladies clothes shop a few miles away. Now closed and turned into a bakers.
    Are there any lasting success stories out there?

Drac

Harry Potter waved his wand and quadrupled the value of my house.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Harry Potter waved his wand and quadrupled the value of my house.

Waheyy! Drac lives in Annick Castle! 😉

I prefer Hardy’s & Barter books myself!

(love the chips at The Hope & Anchor in Alnmouth as well though.)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Neil Morrisey bought a pub near us (Boroughbridge) & **** it.

stany
    Free Member

Dunno yet. The Portas woman strolled around Dorking recently and positively gushed about the wonderful ambience of the township. Claimed one area should be retitled the vintage quarter or some guff.
    Sounds like the death knell then!

boxfish
    Free Member

Bonnie Tyler opened my cousin’s record shop in Uplands, Swansea back in the 80s. Does that count?

chrssmale
    Free Member

Uri Geller tried to help Exeter City FC. To quote from wiki

‘In 1997 he tried to help the Second Division football club Exeter City win a crucial end of season game by placing “energy-infused” crystals behind the goals at Exeter’s ground (Exeter lost the game 5–1); he was appointed co-chairman of the club in 2002. The club was relegated to the Football Conference in May 2003, where it remained for five years. He has since severed formal ties with the club.’

That doesn’t count does it? Unless you support the Green Army 🙁

Drac

Jolly Fisherman at Craster does the best chips essel.

konabunny
    Free Member

Sounds like the owners and managers wrecked the businesses, not Ramsay or Portas.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Gordon Ramsey tried helping a restaurant in the village next to ours,Silsden,and offered little tasters on the street outside. They were sh@te and it shut a few months after the programme was aired.

retro83
    Free Member

Yes, “D-Place went in ‘D-bin'” thanks to Ramsey 😆 It’s still a hotel and bar etc. Seems pretty busy but still getting bad reviews, like this one proudly displayed on their homepage

http://www.saracens-chelmsford.co.uk/

nealglover
    Free Member

….introduced The Ramsey Burger to the menu.
    It tasted like poo.

I think, that may be the chef’s fault.

Pretty sure Gordon Ramsay, with his 14 Michelin Stars, is capable of making a burger that doesn’t taste like shit.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Pointless Reality TV Shows Are Not Totally Accurate Shocker!

Pook

Silversmiths in Sheffield was ramseyed. Doing quite well and the food is good

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

….introduced The Ramsey Burger to the menu.
    It tasted like poo.
    I think, that may be the chef’s fault.

+10

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Neil Morrisey bought a pub near us (Boroughbridge) & **** it.

I remember it well, Morrisey and his business partner (Fox, I think) used to frequent my establishment in Harrogate at the time. It was quite interesting watching the TV series they made about it.

lank45
    Free Member

Yes, “D-Place went in ‘D-bin'” thanks to Ramsey It’s still a hotel and bar etc. Seems pretty busy but still getting bad reviews, like this one proudly displayed on their homepage

http://www.saracens-chelmsford.co.uk/

hahahahahahaha!!!

tang
    Free Member

The Baker brothers have their bakery in our town, was here before they got on telly. Now it’s more expensive. It’s a prime Cotswold market town so awash with cash and at the bottom of the hill from the posh day school, he saw them coming.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

TV chef type Lesley Waters put her name/opened a small cafe deli bakery thing within a shop in town, but a year or so later it’s closed. The building its in hasn’t done well in 10 years but a previous employee is reopening it so fingers crossed for them.

iolo
    Free Member

@dave, the OP asked any celebrities. Who the hell is Lesley Waters?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Has a tv celebrity "saved" a shop/business in your town?’ is closed to new replies.