• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jim25.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hartail frame options?
  • jim25

So I fancy building up a hardftail for the winter and general antics.
    Thinking of something steel (steel is a bit “springy/forgiven” so Im told!)
    Would like to try and make use of a spare dropper post I have thats 31.6mm also have deccent of 26″ wheels that i could use for now, but would prefer to go 650b to keep both bikes the same.
    What are the options? Really like the look of the Production Privee Shan – has changable drop outs for 26-650 but not 31.6mm seatpost
    Stanton Switchback – looks good but dropper won’t fit

drovercycles
    Free Member

Again your dropper won’t fit (but another would – sell your and buy 30.9?):

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2016/Bikes_TransAM275.cfm

yacoby
    Free Member

> Stanton Switchback – looks good but dropper won’t fit

You might find it hard to find a steel frame that works with the dropper you have. I think with a steel frames the idea is to try and get the tubing as thin as possible to ensure the bike has some flex

roverpig

The Solaris takes a 31.6mm dropper.

davewalsh
    Free Member

As does the Soul 275.

jim25

Looking at the cotic website the bfe looks more what im after, it doesn’t give a seatpost diameter just says they use 35mm seat tubing

nickdavies

Cotic BFE is 31.6 seat post, on the component sizes tab.

colournoise

BFe is a top frame for “antics”, but springy it ain’t. Strong and tough as nails yes, but forgiving no. Wouldn’t swap mine for anything.

colournoise

Weird double post.

deviant
    Free Member

My Ragley takes a 31.6 seatpost and will take your existing 26 inch wheels….steel too.

There’s loads on eBay, mine is the Piglet-2.

Dartmoor Hornet also fits your requirements in that it has a 31.6mm seat tube, takes both 26 and 27.5 wheels….it’s Alu though but I wouldn’t worry about that, the days of springy steel frames are long gone….people want 142 axle standards, big seat tubes for their dropper post, large 44mm head tubes for any standard steerer etc….and what you end up with is a steel frame as overbuilt and harsh as the equivalent Alu hardtail.

jim25

So have I got the wrong end of the stick here then, steel frames aren’t really any different to an Alu frame?

kerley
    Free Member

So have I got the wrong end of the stick here then, steel frames aren’t really any different to an Alu frame?

Not when you have a tyre around 2.2 inches wide and running low enough pressure to make any differences in frame material impossible to feel….

deviant
    Free Member

So have I got the wrong end of the stick here then, steel frames aren’t really any different

My original 456-evo had a 27.2mm seat post, a traditional 1 & 1/8 head tube, a 135mm back end and thin chain and seat stays….it has a compliance to it that is hard to describe, I suspect they could build a carbon one with the same characteristics if they wanted to, I have a carbon fishing rod that can be bent so the top comes round and touches the handle!….incredible material but in MTBing at the moment it’s being used as a ‘stiffest is best’ material.

My current Ragley (steel) has a 44mm head tube to take tapered forks, a 31.6mm seat tube for all dropper posts out there and much larger diameter stays, top tubes and down tubes than the 456 it replaced….they are like night and day.

If I was building a ‘hardcore hardtail’ now i’d probably get a Dartmoor Hornet and go for a lighter build than I’ve ever had on a HT….or accept the ride can be harsh and buy my dream machine PP Shan!

goodgrief
    Free Member

Get one made? The black 003 frame belongs to my mate, he loves it.
    https://www.facebook.com/SmallTownBoyDesign?pnref=story

_tom_
    Free Member

I was looking at hardtails last week, the Dartmoor Hornet is what I was gonna go for in the end but decided I’ll probably stick with FS instead!

Del

echo what the others have said re: steel frames. the smaller manufacturers like to keep the ‘steel is compliant yet stiff and rolled on the thighs of dusky maidens’ but the truth is that steel is a great material for low volume manufacturing. after CEN tests came in they had to get reinforced and that made them heavier.
    i’ve had 4 steel hardtails. 1 boggo drainpipe, 1 853 version of the same frame ( no perceptible difference), 1 653 that was just heavy, and another 853 which was quite nice. i now have a sc chameleon, renowned for being stiff and ‘brutal’, which rides very similarly to the last 853 frame, but with marginally more high frequency buzz over cattle grids or jumps made out of logs, for instance. it’s also a pound or so lighter. once i’d gone tubeless the thing got really easy to throw around, and big tyres tubeless take care of any ‘comfort’ concerns.
    excellent dropout system too ( i run ss ).
    steel frames do look nice, but then so do some ally or carbon frames.

chrisdw
    Free Member

mondraker vantage?

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Jim25, i’m in exactly the same boat as you. I will be following this to see how you get on.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

My shan is an amazing bike. I ran it with 26 inch wheels for a while before putting 650b on it. Its got quite a lot of vertical compliane but still very stiff laterally for cornering. Expensive but well worth it!

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Would budget stretch to a Ti frame ? If so, a Kingdom Vendetta 2. I’ve one on order, to take ‘plus’ size tyres. My mate has one which he runs on 26in wheels, and it’s a weapon.

jim25

Top of my list is the Shan.
    It just looks awesome!

But did have a read about the Dartmoor Hornet today, which does look good, my dropper will fit and is much cheaper
    Hornet

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hartail frame options?’ is closed to new replies.