Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • HARRY POTTER BOOKS
  • mollski
    Free Member

i was on the train today with my ipod with some good old iron maiden on ,when i started to look round and found loads of people not kids grown men reading these books,i thought they were for kids?

jahwomble
    Free Member

Derivative crap either way I always felt.

mactheknife

Nope. You are wrong. They are for kids and adults alike. I've read them all and will be taking the lad to see the final films in a few months. 😀

Garry_Lager

I think a lot of parents read them to their kids, so maybe get interested in them that way. A bit like how parents might know Iron Maiden, because their kids play dated gay hair metal on the family stereo.

GrahamS

Ummmmmm aren't you about 13 years late with this astute observation?

mollski
    Free Member

garr_lager please tell me what band you like thats been going so long?

Garry_Lager

The Fall. Was listening to them out on the ride this evening as it goes.

Different league to Maiden of course, so please don't think I'm attempting a comparison.

mollski
    Free Member

LOL MINT 8)

nickc

I'd suggest listening to Maiden renders any comment you may have about other's taste a bit redundant.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow! Quite a few growed-ups is reading Potter. Why hasn't this been on the news?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Iron Maiden > Harry Potter…OP win. 😈

lambchop
    Free Member

It's been a Harry Potter house here this school summer holidays, reason why?……..LEGO Harry Potter on the Wii, my kids absolutely love it. My wife and I read the books as and when they came out but now we are re reading them with our 7 and 6 year olds. We are then watching the films when we finish a book. In all honesty though they are kids books, kids films and kids games but it's all good fun.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They are for kids, but can be ridden by anyone.

You've read the Hungry Caterpillar no?

Same thing. 😈

trb
    Free Member

Hungry Caterpiller's for girls

Gruffalo in our house

miketually
    Free Member

If only the publishers realised that adults would like them too. They could have use two different front covers.

Bunnyhop

I read them all on the train journey from That Manchester to That London, but that was oooh about 9 years or so ago. They did adult covers, so it didn't look too childish.

Makes me a trendsetter.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've read them all several times. Great escapism 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

I read the first two back to back in the car on the way home from a holiday in Cornwall years ago. I reread them both before reading the third when it came out, and reread 1, 2 and 3 before reading 4. I didn't try that for 5, 6 and 7 though.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've read the first 4 10+ times, and the other 3 a few as well. mind you I'm of the right generation I think, was about just finishing primary school when I read them so was one of many waiting for my letter!

There's a few bits in them (particularly the later ones) that I think kids might struggle with to be honest so there needs to be an adult audience

nbt

I read them all before Bunnyhop borrwed them they rock

Maiden rock

The Fall are a bit "emporer's new clothes" for me, never understoof why people thought they were / are any good – he can't sing and the tunes are not great. If you like 'em though, all power to you.

Mike – I read 3 first , then 1 nd 2, then did the whole re-read the series before the next book – yes, each time.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I've never read one of them. Are they really so much better than the films?

molgrips
    Free Member

Why would adults not be able to read kids books?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I can think of loads of other nominally kids' book I re-read:
    The Wierdstone of Brisingamen (& Gomrath, Owl Service, Elidor) Garner.
    The Giant in the Snow, Marianne Dreams, all but the last Narnia book, The Hobbit, and I'm sure there are others I can't bring to mind.

ocrider

Hungry Caterpiller's for girls

Gruffalo in our house

But Where The Wild Things Are is really where its at.

nbt

simonralli2 – Member

I've never read one of them. Are they really so much better than the films?

THe films are pretty good interpretations, but like most book ->film jobs there's a lot of plot missed out to get a full book into a film

the_lecht_rocks

bag of repeated sh1te but mrs tlr LOVES them………………..! ? !

stevomcd
    Free Member

They're great stuff, ideal for a bit of escapism as sfb says (did I just agree with him on something!?).

Apparently JK Rowling intended that her readers should "grow up with" Harry Potter, so the first book was aimed at eleven year olds, the second at 12 year olds and so on. The last one is pretty seriously dark.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘HARRY POTTER BOOKS’ is closed to new replies.