Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Harrogate happiest place to live in UK
  • mudshark
    Free Member
    johndoh
    Free Member

Again…

everyone
    Free Member

I was definitely surprised to see the City of Hullture up there!

johndoh
    Free Member

Must admit that surprised me too – Hull is nice in parts but surely crime and unemployment levels would have meant it scored badly.

gazc
    Free Member

East London won the dubious title of unhappiest place to live, with residents complaining of a lack of neighbourliness and said they were unhappy with the way their home was decorated.

well here’s a starter for you east londoners

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Nice-to-People

harrogate is a funny place, it’s the posh bit of yorkshire and as outsiders can’t afford to move there no wonder all the residents are happy! 😛

johndoh
    Free Member

But there are some pretty crap parts to Harrogate – but I guess they are better than the crap parts of other places.

rene59
    Free Member

Happiness is overrated. These folk were happy in Tehran, look what happened to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27499642

Candodavid
    Free Member

Harrogate. All fur coats and no knickers, reet posh when I lived up that way

TheDoctor
    Free Member

I live in Harrogate, can’t say I’m overly happy about it, but I guess it compares favourably with the rest of the country.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d be happy if I could afford to live in Harrogate.

pixelmix
    Free Member

This chap doesn’t sound very happy

fatboyslo
    Free Member

well apart from Petty Whin Close it’s a pretty happy town 😀

BUT

I do love people watching in town on a weekend

you see some right miserable faces at times 🙄

tomhoward

Me, this morning…

Though I think most people are miserable that they have to put their (incredibly interesting and important) lives on hold for 2 days at the beginning of July. You’d think Le Tourmageddon was coming…

@ johndoh, before I moved here, people at work were saying how Bilton and Jennyfields were pretty much no go areas. Having worked in some of the less salubrious parts of Manchester and Hudderfield, I’m not so sure ‘no go’ is the right term…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Harrogate happiest place to live in UK

…or it’s just full of self satisfied Yorkshire-people?

WackoAK
    Free Member

Preston?? Falkirk???

tomhoward

Stockport?!?!?!?!?! Spent most of last summer there, it seems the natives are incredibly easily pleased…

ninfan
    Free Member

Though I think most people are miserable that they have to put their (incredibly interesting and important) lives on hold for 2 days at the beginning of July. You’d think Le Tourmageddon was coming…

‘king Yorkshire show traffic is bad enough 😀

@ johndoh, before I moved here, people at work were saying how Bilton and Jennyfields were pretty much no go areas. Having worked in some of the less salubrious parts of Manchester and Hudderfield, I’m not so sure ‘no go’ is the right term…

Ask them about the Bronx posse 😆

Having spent 12 years living in ‘Saint Arbeck’ I heard enough tales of how rough the top end of Harrogate is – I recall one party at which the police attended after the neighbours complained about the clinking of glass bottles being put in the recycling bin, shocking 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

people at work were saying how Bilton and Jennyfields were pretty much no go areas.

He he, some people really have no idea what proper rough areas are actually like do they :mrgreen:

Bunnyhop

Amazed that Stockport is number 4.

Much like most places, Stockport has some pretty awful bits, however half of it is green, so that counts for a lot. Also very affluent areas such as Bramhall and Woodford come under the Stockport postcode.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Grew up in Bilton, we used to think Jennyfields was South Central and the Broadacres the Bronks!

Now live off Skipton road. Rode round the stray tonight, lovely.

smogmonster

I grew up in Hull, it really isn’t anything like as bad as people make out. It has some crappy parts, what city or town doesn’t? The media have made Hull out to be a right pit over the years, mostly because they never go there. It has loads of history, cheap housing, loads of parks, a great music scene, some truly beautiful scenery on its doorstep – alright its crap for mountain biking but the Holderness area and the Yorkshire Wolds are beautiful. It has good access, some decent shopping, York, Leeds, The Dales, Moors Peaks all within 90 minutes drive. It says a lot that Hull Uni has (or at least used to have have) the highest proportion of graduates who stay in the city beyond graduation than anywhere else. I have been away from Hull for nearly 20 years and now live just outside Swaledale/Arkengarthdale as its where the missus is from, but all my family are still in the Hull/Beverley area and frankly I get homesick for the place every time I go back. Give it try, you just might like it.

mudshark
    Free Member

I was a student there for a couple of years, cold as I remember it.

Yeah it wasn’t so bad, bit out of the way – don’t remember decent bands ever playing there. I lived up towards the Uni and was OK as a student. I never thought I’d go back. Haven’t yet.

peterfile
    Free Member

I grew up in Hull, it really isn’t anything like as bad as people make out. It has some crappy parts, what city or town doesn’t? The media have made Hull out to be a right pit over the years, mostly because they never go there. It has loads of history, cheap housing, loads of parks, a great music scene, some truly beautiful scenery on its doorstep – alright its crap for mountain biking but the Holderness area and the Yorkshire Wolds are beautiful. It has good access, some decent shopping, York, Leeds, The Dales, Moors Peaks all within 90 minutes drive. It says a lot that Hull Uni has (or at least used to have have) the highest proportion of graduates who stay in the city beyond graduation than anywhere else. I have been away from Hull for nearly 20 years and now live just outside Swaledale/Arkengarthdale as its where the missus is from, but all my family are still in the Hull/Beverley area and frankly I get homesick for the place every time I go back. Give it try, you just might like it.

I did try living in Hull, but couldn’t stick it. I do agree that it gets a bad rep considering what it can offer in terms of culture, access etc. But (and it’s a big but!) it is a very difficult place to live as an outsider IMO.

In the UK, I’ve lived in Ayrshire, Glasgow, London, Leeds, Manchester Newcastle and Hull. I’m no stranger to rough. I didn’t actually find Hull rough, but I did find it remarkably inhospitable and insular at times. I was working in town and living on Little High St. That’s the first mistake. Although Hull is a “city”, it’s not set up like other cities. When 5pm comes, everyone you’d consider having a beer with scurries back to Beverley/Cottingham etc and the centre becomes a ghost town. Even trying to find a pint of milk at 10pm is easier said than done.

I found that strangers are treated with a bit more suspicion and not really welcomed in the same way that you often find in other cities. Despite living there for almost 2 years I struggled to feel “at home”.

Bizarrely, I was spat at three times on the same stretch of road (heading towards Drypool Bridge), on all occasions I was just walking home from work. twice spat at from a bus, and once from a passing car. 🙂

My ex was from Cottingham and I spent a number of years in the area before ending up working there for 2 years, so I did give it a chance and I did have a decent circle of friends. But I honestly could never imagine settling there.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hull = Spiders.

End of thread.

nealglover
    Free Member

Hull = Spiders.

Hell yeah !

:mrgreen:

Happy (vague) memories

johndoh
    Free Member

Pangalacticgargleblasters and obscure Black Sabbath album tracks. What’s not to like?

BTW – Apple iPhone recognised and spell-checked Pangalacticgargleblaster 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We live not far from Harrogate, go down the street & most people will say hello with a smile.
    Happy area I’d say.

ElShalimo

The secret is the hot pork pies in Weeton’s Deli
    They’re so nice they’d make a grown man weep with joy

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Harrogate happiest place to live in UK’ is closed to new replies.