Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hardtail wanted Moon on a stick content
  • nickc

Currently on a chameleon, with 140 thors, gets used for everything from all day XCing round the Chilterns to throwing dow very steep mountains. It’s getting a bit battered, and I want a new toy.

Must be a hardtail
    must be able to take at least 140 forks
    must be able to be ridden all day
    Must look cool, mustn’t be hughly
    Dont care what material, but must be stiff and must be light.

Befe? Chumba something or other? Nicolia? New Chameleon? Hummer?

What?

jimw
    Free Member

Sounds like a Ragley Ti is what you want. Amazingly enough I might have a large frame for sale…

matther01
    Free Member

Cotic Soul?

Tough enough for 140mm and soft enough to ride all day, with added bonus of taking a proper dropper post and 1lb lighter than a Bfe.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Dialled Alpine? Not super light, but fits all your other criteria. I love mine!

skink2020

Bfe. You know it.

garage-dweller

aesthetics is a personal thing so may not be your thing but apart from weight a steel one would tick.the boxes and then there is a carbon option too.

Northwind

OP wants stiff, so not a Soul.

If you like horrible stiff hardtails, then maybe an Mmmbop? Should be cheap, too. Looks cool, in a sort of challenging ugly manner.

Kryton57

Brodie Holeshot:

llama

I’ve got a chumba, 2nd year of it now. It’s stiff, but not silly stiff. Twisty turny with the seat down is where I think it’s best. 140 is OK, but I reckon 120 is better, I want to try 140 with a slack set.

Prince alberts are fairly stiff what about one of them? Not light though.

How about a stiffee?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Of the various ones I’ve mucked about on, Evil Sov remains the best 140mm HT ever, ever. Not light, but then it’s not meant to be – you’ll get lighter, but you absolutely definitely won’t get a better handling, more engaging 140mm hardtail anywhere – no exceptions.

OOOFT.

alpin
    Free Member

+1 for DB Alpine….

ok, it’s not the lightest frame in the world, but that hasn’t stopped me riding over 15 transalp tours on it.

for steep, techy trails it’s great.

lower the fork for a more XC orientated ride…

llama – Member

Prince alberts are fairly stiff what about one of them? Not light though.

Someone on here said the new Reynolds 853 Prince Albert Classics weigh less than 5lbs. But I’ve never weighed one personally and don’t know how accurate their scales were.

float
    Free Member

Dont care what material, but must be stiff and must be light.

Befe?

lol!

i was hoping for more from a thread that promised to be asking for the moon on a stick. you basically just describe any aluminum long travel hardtail, with no mention of if you want iscg tabs, 30.9 seatpost, if you want to be able to fit wide tyres, tapered headtube etc. and thats before you start looking at angles.

go for a ragley mmmbop.

messiah
    Free Member

I still pop a woody when I see a Brodie Holeshot Ti 😳

compositepro
    Free Member

For moon on stick requests speak to mat at 18 bikes he’s getting busy building custom any things

juan
    Free Member

Sobre spam 😉

wwaswas

Love my Curtis 🙂

saxabar
    Free Member

Just got myself a Ti Holeshot (Si’s from Progresive Bikes/photos all over the web!)). Amazing and very flattering. I now have a fully built Stiffee for sale – PM me if interested.

prezet
    Free Member

If you like horrible stiff hardtails…

I was not aware all stiff hardtails were horrible… why did no one memo me?

wl
    Free Member

When it’s available, check the new hardtail that comes from this UK designer….

http://www.facebook.com/SwarfCycles/timeline?filter=2

His full-sus is amazing, and I know he’s currently working on a slack, comfy, affordable steel hardtail. Waiting for one myself.

binners

If you like horrible stiff hardtails

Uber stiff hardtails are bloody great, until you’re about 30, then they enter a sort of nuclear half-life thing, where they become 50% less appealing year by year

prezet
    Free Member

Uber stiff hardtails are bloody great, until you’re about 30

Odd, 34 now and they’re more appealing than ever.

Rik
    Free Member

Jimw – do you want to send me more details about the Ragley Ti……

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Ns surge. Best hardtail I’ve had – use it for everything.

bigrich

that would be a cotic soul then:

xc racing mode:

Downhill racing mode:

ride all day mode (although that is my old one):

Rik
    Free Member

Chromag?

ChrisL

Unless they’ve changed a lot since they got CEN tested, Cotic Souls are not stiff.

As others have said, for light and stiff, wouldn’t some Alu frame be a more obvious choice?

bigrich

aluminium frames are rubbish. HTH.

jamest
    Free Member

How about a nice Transition Transam like the one I have in the classifieds…140mm (can also be 160mm) quality Japanese steel, single speed or geared dropouts, pleasing shade of green, what’s not to like…

nickc

Tried a soul, too bendy. Like the Holeshot, Sov is too heavy. Binners, I’m 44, still grinning 🙂

Cromag what?

New chameleon? any one seen one in the flesh?

james
    Free Member

Uber stiff hardtails are bloody great, until you’re about 30

Odd, 34 now and they’re more appealing than ever”

Hmm, 24 now and they’re less appealing than ever, whats wrong with me?

I thought a C456 would have been suggested (bar a hint above) by now?
    Or are they not stiff? Are they hughly?

Northwind

Nah, sort of steel-ey. (unless you believe that review where it was simultaneously too flexy to pedal but too stiff to ride over a pebble)

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Luv me Curtis ss to look at but can,t comment quite just yet on ride quality but it,ll be a stinker!

Curtis steel xc freeride frame any day over titanium in any colour you choose as they have wicked paint to choose from, green and black oo o no the clear or blue one, arhhhhhh organic orgasmic curtisasm heehe!

Or you could bite the bullet and get a stanton slack titanium ht which is rocking at a trail near you…

Super sweet frame so I have seen and heard.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

OP wants stiff, so not a Soul.

If you like horrible stiff hardtails, then maybe an Mmmbop? Should be cheap, too. Looks cool, in a sort of challenging ugly manner.

Think you mean special ;D

messiah
    Free Member

I’m currently on Mmmbop no.2. Im just under 6ft and found the 18″ large was too big and I’m finding the 16″ medium a little small. I had a 17″ Troof which was awesome but cracked. I can’t see the Mmmbop being a keeper but like your mates girlfriends willing best friend it’s an enjoyable ride. My moon-on-a-stick needs a 1.5 head tube, 31.6 seat tube, 160mm forks and 135×12 dropouts… And ideally can be converted to single speed for pleasure/pain. I’ve also broken three hardtails in the last three years so it also needs to be “nails-min”. I’m looking at custom probably… Nicolai, Kingdom, or I-don’t-know-yet… looking is fun… and there is always the Mmmbop (munter) to ride/break in the meantime.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail wanted Moon on a stick content’ is closed to new replies.