Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hardtail for XC / Trailcentre(s)
  • fingers202
    Free Member

Having recently had my bike stolen I am now looking for a replacement; my previous bike was a Boardman Pro hardtail, with a few upgrades, and was light fast and fun.

In the time I have had that bike there have been many changes and a myriad of choices. I have demoe’d Santa Cruz Tall Boy, very nice, but out of price range, preferred it over the 5010, seemed to prefer 29″ wheels.

I like the idea of the Cannondale Flash or F-si, or Merida Big Nine, Boardman Pro Carbon etc; large frame.

So what do the singletrack masses recommend as being the best Hardtail 100-120mm travel, fast and fun?

cheers

core

Kona Honzo, Nukeproof Scout 29, Bird zero maybe (though is 650b)

weeksy

At the price, it’s hard to look past the on-one parkwood.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d be having a look at the Whyte 29-CS for something that’s light, racey fast and fun.

z1ppy

I think the new Whyte 629 looks very interesting, spec is definitely right

vondally
    Free Member

Ritchey p 29…..just fab all round

Stooge….fun and surprisingly rapid…

I own both….consider
    Chromag
    Canfield
    White
    Cotic

ulysse
    Free Member

I sold a great 2016 Whyte 529 after riding a 2016 Voodoo Bizango, and deciding i preferred how it rode & the fit on the top tube/ reach was slightly more to my liking, Whyte felt faster which i think was more down to the Maxiss Ikons it came with as standard, and the Whyte’s Tektro brakes felt slightly better than the Voodoos Shimano Deore, but for £500 new i still change in my pocket from knocking on the whyte to a reletive

GolfChick
    Free Member

Not necessarily 100-120mm but I have a Stanton switchback which I absolutely love. First foray into hardtail ownership alongside owning a full-sus but I love it, climbs really well yet is still very fun on the way downs.

jonba
    Free Member

Love my Parkwood. Bought the frame, 120mm rebas, hope/crest wheels, SLX groupset then whatever I could find cheap. Came in about £1500 from what I remember.

I nice and light so goes up as well as it goes down. Ridden it on all sorts and really like it. GT, Innerliethen, Hamsterley, Kieder it seems capable and I managed to get a top 30 in the national marathon champs on it as well.

matt_outandabout

I’m winding up to similar choice at the moment – see my dithering about plus and boost compatibility….

It *seems* that Pinnacle Iroko, Orange Clockwork (in 100 or 120) , Marin Nail Trail ), possibly the new Giant Fathom, and Sonder Transmitter for chubs n boosted, are all cracking rides and value for monies around £1k.

mboy
    Free Member

The Whyte 629 for £1050 (if you can find one!) is an incredible bike for the money…

Just needs a dropper post and it’s ready for anything!

fingers202
    Free Member

Some excellent advice and choices thus far, will have a look. I’d settled at the Superfly 9.7; will have a look at your suggestions.

Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail for XC / Trailcentre(s)’ is closed to new replies.