Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hardtail advice please? (Moon on a stick content)
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Hey all,
    I’m looking for a HT frame/bike.
    I’d like something slack; around 67.5deg HTA. Able to take 120 – 140mm forks. 120 will be plenty but I may struggle to get the HTA?
    Low BB and short chain stays but a decent TT length, a bit of a razzer. I’d like an alu frame rather than steel as it’s just going to be used for places like ashton court, FOD and maybe cannock so not long or techy rides and hence dont need a long travel bike (the 5 spot is a little overkill for these places IMO). I’d like to have something stiff and strong (strong enough for a 14.5stoner) and made in a size to fit a 6 ft’er (18/19″).

wwaswas

carbon 456 with an angleset?

barn
    Free Member

Scandal?

Clobber
    Free Member

chumba hx-1

wrecker
    Free Member

Ah, scandal is only up to 100mm forks (which is OK) but has a 70deg HTA.
    Forgot to mention I’d want ISCG 05 tabs as I’ll be running 1×9 so that’s the 456 carbon out and they have slaack seat tube angles as well, don’t they? Prefer a steeper STA if poss. Thanks for the help!
    Wonder what the ragley troof would be like at 140?

chiefgrooveguru

“I’d like something slack; around 67.5deg HTA”

Static or sagged?

wrecker
    Free Member

Static is fine.

steezysix
    Free Member

Check out the NS Surge frame, it’s steel not alu, but ticks pretty much all your boxes otherwise. I’m 6’1″ and have a size medium, but would probably get a large if I was buying again.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

carbon 456 with angleset will have a steep seat angle and slack forks. can you not get a different chain guide? i mean, it’s ok to not want the c456 (it’s not even alu!) but don’t rule it out based on angles 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

May be worth checking the classifieds for an mmmbop. If it was me I’d go chumba hx1, especially as currently reduced price.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hmm, it seem all of the best options are steel.
    Charge Blender and NS surge both look like contenders.
    I could just save my pennies and get Curtis to make me what I want. Can they put ISCG tabs on?

kudos100
    Free Member

stanton slackline. I haven’t ridden it, but it looks like it would be great, from the geometry.

Tasso
    Free Member

I had a Cove Stiffee running 130mm bolt through forks which sounds exactly what you want. Gave loads of confidence and good for goading you into doing steep stuff (even BikeVerbier alpine steep) whilst still capable for all day rides, particulary with a shorter and lighter fork to steepen things up a bit.

Not the lowest BB around but I don’t like pedal strikes.

Since then I’ve bought one of the new Dialled Prince Alberts which although not so slack has still been blindingly good fun to ride and a better all rounder, albeit a slightly heavier frame. Rode the Transcambrian Way a few weeks ago, Ashton Court, Cwm Carn and Afan all more fun than on my full sussers. Maybe not as quick downhill but lots of hassle free fun.

Thought about a Dialled Alpine or Cotic BeFe?

The other obvious ali frame is the Santa Cruz Chameleon – supremely versatile if a little unforgiving.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Slackline could be a winner! Anyone ridden one?

steezysix
    Free Member

If you’re Bristol based, I’m pretty sure they have the Slackline in Psycleworks, just off Cotham Hill. Hard to see it through the drool on the window, but looks very nice!

julioflo
    Free Member

The Stanton team put in a very respectable showing at Oktoberfest. Anyone know if they were riding Slacklines, or something with a more XC geometry?

si-wilson
    Free Member

What you want is one of these, ISCG and 67.5 with 120mm 🙂

Got a small and medium for sale at £899

Brodie Titanium Holeshot by srbwilson, on Flickr

klumpy
    Free Member

If you want a hardtail for Ashton Court type stuff, you want a kona five-0. Tough as a pee’d off Chuck Norris in a tank, huge fork, and it’s aluminium. And some of those other words you said, it probably is/has/does those too.

wrecker
    Free Member

Si you bastard. You know I want one of those. I’d need a large though so 😛

SammyC
    Free Member

If you want alu then, as said above, look for an original mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmBop. I’ve got a first generation BluePig and find it perfect for all Bristol riding, AC, pump tracks, jump tracks, and the steeper stuff in LW etc.

Oh, and run it 1×9 using a BB mounted chain device so don’t worry about needing tabs:

MrAgreeable

Had a quick go on one of the Stanton guy’s bikes and they are pretty short in the TT, somewhere between 4X and XC geometry was how the designer described it.

If you can stand the shame, a Marin B17 would be a good cheap ‘n’ cheerful option.

klumpy
    Free Member

Everyone’s posting images to help make their case. So:

(Taken on one of the blue trails at Ashton Court. 😉 )

SammyC
    Free Member

Is that towards the end of NBW klumpy?

klumpy
    Free Member

Actually, I made a mistake; it’s one of those Leigh Woods trails that we all know they’ve recently made too tame. (There used to be vikings on it.)

mrblobby
    Free Member

The mods really need to remove all photos of that Brodie Holeshot!

Got an mmmbop here and run an LG1+ chain guide with the BB to iSCG adapter that e.13 ship with it. Works very well for me so wouldn’t be too worried if a bike didn’t come with tabs. It’s taken a few knocks and not moved.

play
    Free Member

Cove Stiffee

messiah
    Free Member

Another vote for an Mmmbop. I really like mine. With Revs at 150 the BB is a little high but other that its hard to fault… but I still drool over a Holeshot 😛

And I wish the top tube was dropped a little on the large size I have.

Mackem

I’ve just used my girlfriends credit card on a Chumba HX1. Just wish DHL had some sort of instant transport service so I dont have to wait.

This may or not convince you one way or the other.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Another vote for an Mmmbop. I really like mine. With Revs at 150 the BB is a little high but other that its hard to fault…

Run mine with some dual position revs. 120 works very well round flatter twisty bits, run it at that most of the time. Nice to have 150 though for rockier steeper stuff.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail advice please? (Moon on a stick content)’ is closed to new replies.