Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hardcore Hardtail – Orange Crush 2010 or Genesis Core 50?? 140mm too long?
  • Lofty
    Free Member

Hi All

I’m looking for a hardcore, do anything hardtail that i can ride all day but that jumps really well and can handel fast, rough singletrack and the sculpted trail centres like Afan / Brechfa.

For absolutly ages I have been dead set on getting the Crush but i’m starting to think the long travel forks might make it dive and be a bit unstable under braking? I currently ride very agrresivly using just 100mm forks and dont feel like more travel would benefit me particularly – but wth that said, it might just be because that’s what i’m used too??

Any thoughts / opinions / suggestions / alternatives welcomed

I’m looking for something that fits that bill for about £1k and that can be bought on the cycle to work scheme so any frame only self-builds aren’t an option

Lofty

rockhopperbike

Hi,
    I have a 2010 crush, the forks are (to me a numpty) well damped, and with only a bit of compression damping they do very well under braking, even down rocky steps and smallish drop offs, I never feel like I am going to go over the bars

Northwind

It’s a personal taste thing but I loved my Mmmbop with its 150mm forks, sure when you’re deep in the travel the bike does feel pretty different to when it’s just riding on the sag but that was never a problem. Obivously the Mmmbop’s not available to you but it’s just one of many.

poppa
    Free Member

Best off seeing if you can get a ride on a demo bike? Anything with 140mm or so forks?

I’m not really into big/dirt jumping but I think that longer forks might make it harder to jump as they tend to be softer around the sag/full travel zone. You could pump them up hard but then what’s the point in having them if you don’t get full travel?

I might be wrong though, so hopefully someone wiht more experience will be along in a minute…

mildred

I’ve a 2010 crush and I’ve never had any issues; it’s possibly got the best geometry of any long travel hardtail I’ve ever ridden. In fact it’s about the best hardtail I’ve ridden full stop.

I got sucked down the steel is real hardcore hardtail route and had evil DOC, sovereign, Cotic soul & bfe, dialled PA & alpine x2, and none if these felt as good as the crush. Brilliant bike.

Lofty
    Free Member

Mildred, you sound well qualified to pass judgement having owned som many hardcore hardtails!! Maybe a Crush is the one for me

mildred

As mentioned by rockhopper above, the forks are very good (remarkably good) for a basic float r. Very controlled and easy to get along with. One thing to look at when you go try one are the silly narrow bars. Everything else is spot on for the money. I’m 5’11” and went for a 17″ to give loads of standover. However, I had to then buy a different seatpost as the original isn’t long enough to get a decent saddle position.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hardcore Hardtail – Orange Crush 2010 or Genesis Core 50?? 140mm too long?’ is closed to new replies.