Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hardcore Hardtail
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

Debating whether to build a hardcore hardtail, are there any views on the charge blender or ns surge? Bike will be run with adjustable forks up to 140mm travel, 1 x 9/10 gearing and used for a bit of everything e.g. XC, trail centres, short evening blasts and DH days.

chvck
    Free Member

I have a 15″ NS Surge using 140mm travel and 1×9 doing pretty the exact stuff you’ve described…bit of everything. It’s a tad heavy and not great for climbing but I love it and it rides fantastic when you point it toward the fun stuff!

Fishd

I did love my mmmBop. 150mm Talas, 2×9 and decent wheels. Made me feel I could ride anything.

Only upgraded to full suss as I couldn’t keep up with a pal over rock gardens etc (he rides a Giant Anthem X2)… will probably rebuild it at some point if I can find the right forks.

No experience of those particular bikes but hardcore hard tails are much fun!

chvck
    Free Member

I’ll also mention that a mate of mine running a surge with 140mm travel up has just been out Whilster with his and he was hitting some rather impressively large stuff on it too!

lovetoride
    Free Member

chvck – have you got a pic??

chvck
    Free Member

Not terribly recent but:

IMG_0139 by chvckd, on Flickr

IMG_0138 by chvckd, on Flickr

I’m going to be replacing the pikes with some air lyriks at some point over the next couple of months as I’ve been offered some very cheap!

t-p26
    Free Member

I did love my mmmBop. 150mm Talas, 2×9 and decent wheels. Made me feel I could ride anything.
    Only upgraded to full suss as I couldn’t keep up with a pal over rock gardens etc (he rides a Giant Anthem X2)

PMSL!

kudos100
    Free Member

I have an NS surge and it is brilliant, the most fun frame I have owned. On singletrack and downhill it was supreme. Unfortunately I am just too damm tall to get away with riding a 15.5 inch bike for xc (even with a 450mm post!) I used it for everything and it is a brilliant all rounder if you are not 6’3 with long legs 😆

I will be stripping her down tomorrow, ready for sale, so if you are interested I can send you some pics.

lovetoride
    Free Member

kudos100 – how much you after and whats the general condition?

Fishd

PMSL!

Never claimed I wasn’t fickle and/or childish 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

It has some scratches and chips and a fair bit of chainslap, but nothing that effects the structural integrity of the frame.

I’d want £90 inc postage for it

toys19
    Free Member

I have a bfe, its becoming my best ever bike.

flow
    Free Member

Until you buy a decent bike

angryratio
    Free Member

NS Surge is a superb frame.. pal rides one with Z1’s on it, my bro has this It’s an NS suburban, but, he uses it for trail riding and it’s spot on.

The beauty of a surge is it’ll take a front mech.. proper do it all.

_tom_
    Free Member

Surges are awesome, go for it. I preferred the feel of the one I had a go on to the BFe I owned. Just a bit easier to chuck around so a bit more fun. Think the wheelbase must be shorter or something.

toys19
    Free Member

flow – Member

Until you buy a decent bike

I’m waiting to hear your critique of why a bfe isn’t decent?

lovetoride
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a bfe?!

Any other all round hardtails I should be considering?

toys19
    Free Member

Nothing.

Northwind

Just to clear that one up- What’s wrong with a BFe, to Flow, is that it’s not an Orange Five, and everything that isn’t a Five is s**t.

_tom_
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the BFe, great frame.

mrbump
    Free Member

ns surge…..lower bottom bracket. blender has no cable stops for a front mech and has a very slack head angle. ive got a surge and i have freinds who havelet me ride their blue pigs,on ones,blenders,exalts and i prefer mine.

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve got a full 853 dialled alpine with pikes that fits ur description to the tee! It’s excellent condition and all parts are practically new – I’m after £1000 for it as I only ride my downhill bike as I live in France now but my friend could bring it to the uk and post it 🙂

lovetoride
    Free Member

alexxx – how much for just the frame?

alexxx
    Free Member

Not splitting sorry matey

lovetoride
    Free Member

Ok mate, good luck with the sale.

james0706
    Free Member

Hi, I am loving some of your ‘hardcore hardtails’ but was wondering what wheels are you using as I am in need of some much stronger forks. Thanks

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m using Pro 2 hubs front and rear with Mavic rims. Pro 2’s are great! Had absolutely no problems with either end so far.

james0706
    Free Member

Hi, i was planning on changing my forks and wondered how some Rock Shock Sektor RL 150mm would fair as being some forks on a hardcore hardtail. Thanks

Roblilly
    Free Member

Sektors would be fine, planning on putting them on my Bfe rather that the van36 that are on at the moment

jcromton
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a surge. Saw some ****t riding one on the Cairngorn plateau recently.

It looks like he’s wearing a St Andrews top too.

If you’re looking for a XXXC setup, I think they’re a great bike, just don’t be like that guy.

HTH

Chris

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hardcore Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.