• This topic has 86 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Hard riding on your own…
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

Its OK on yer tod but its more fun in groups, people to chase and push you along.

So who prefers what Solo or Group?

scraprider
    Free Member

group , general messing about , peer presure etc all add up to a damn good days riding.

cinnamon_girl

Both! Have been riding solo for years around the UK, such a challenge particularly when tumbles are involved 🙄

The STW Forum Rides though have been brilliant in a different way 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

99.9% social. I would feel bereft not to have others to share the experience with!

tinsy
    Free Member

More fun with a group yes, but harder and faster on your own..

samuri
    Free Member

Solo.
    Group rides are a nightmare.

Mechanicals are your problem, no-one elses. The worst thing about having a mechnical is that you know you're holding everyone else up in a group.

Ditto other people's mechanicals, jesus christ it's a **** puncture, why is it taking you half an hour to fix?

Maybe if you actually rode more than once a month you'd be able to go at a reasonable pace.

People who are faster than me, what a bunch of cocks. Go on, ride off, see if I care. That's right, wait at the top of the hill then *immediately* set off as soon as I get there, I don't need a rest.

You want to talk for an hour about tyres? No, **** off.

Why won't you talk to me? I bet you hate me don't you. **** off.

Nah, riding with other people is just filled with problems. I want to have fun riding my bike and can't be arsed with all the other crap.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Solo, generally I can't stand all the stopping and faffing of a group ride, especially in the cold of winter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Both, riding is fun in small groups of mates, a blast on your own…

…but IMO a PITA in huge groups where you spend lots of time making small talk and waiting for folk.

oldgit
    Free Member

On my own.
    I like riding with mates but we all have different agendas.

chakaping
    Free Member

Samurai, are you sure it's not just that nobody will go riding with you because you're so miserable.

(I did smile at a couple of those lines though).

cookeaa

Both…

If I want to put in some miles at my own pace, when I have the free time to do so, without worrying about the various issues that samuri mentioned, then Solo is the way to go…

Waiting in a car park for an hour getting cold while others fail to be on time is also massively annoying…

Having said that riding with others is very rewarding in many different ways;
    Normally you get shown a new bit of singletrack, line through an old run or something you've not seen before.
    A bit of banter about bikes, riding or anything else, is actually quite nice once in a while.
    Riding with someone fitter, more skilled now and then can stop you getting in a fitness/skills rut, giving you someone to gauge your performance against…
    Riding with someone less fit/skilled than yourself can help the ego a bit and you get a warm fuzzy feeling by encouraging them and giving some helpful (but not patronising) tips…

It's all good…

hitman
    Free Member

samurai – clasic, made me laugh 🙂

I ride on my own almost all of the time and now find it difficult to ride in groups. I always try and ride quite hard as I sometimes think that lack of peer pressure might affect my "go-for-it".

Saying that if anyone is out and about at Christmas and in Wales then it would be good to tag along for a ride – I might like it 🙂

clunker

Like to ride solo when stressed clears the head. Most of the time go with the mates.

atlaz
    Free Member

Mostly prefer solo because I get to ride what I want when I want. Only disadvantage is that I'm a little more reserved to avoid having a big accident and I don't have anyone to push me.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I ride mostly with the dog. Someone to talk to who doesn't complain!

I limit group rides to no more than 3 people who are close friends and don't ride with people significantly fitter than me as it just annoys them when they have to wait.

If I'm jumping or being stupid in other ways I ride with people as then there is someone to call the ambulance!

My favorite riding partner used to be my wife but she lost all her bottle when the kids were born and now is only up for a potter about.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The worst thing about having a mechnical is that you know you're holding everyone else up in a group.

doesn't bother me in the least 🙂

Samurai, are you sure it's not just that nobody will go riding with you because you're so miserable.

yes, I thought that!

You want to talk for an hour about tyres? No, **** off.

this is interesting – I'm not particularly sociable – but the great thing about riding together is you have plenty of shared interest in the ride and related subjects – and if the conversation palls you can just swerve to avoid an object or whatever, or if stationary find something on your bike needing attention and in one single bound be free :o) I know for a definite fact that without other riders to egg me on (and be likewise egged), I'd not bother going out in foul conditions and thus miss many exciting and enjoyable times!

chakaping
    Free Member

I know for a definite fact that without other riders to egg me on (and be likewise egged), I'd not bother going out in foul conditions and thus miss many exciting and enjoyable times!

Yeah, helps to commit to a group ride before looking at the weather forecast too.

I know what gets said about the people who don't turn up when it's raining, and I don't want other people saying that about me!

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

2nd samuri. Everything the said.

And as for joining a club? Why would I want to be told what to do by some overgrown egomaniacal control freak?

Mikey_M
    Free Member

I tend to ride solo most times of the week. Therefor i also tend to take it easy, as said above, there isn't anyone else there to push your limits. But its great fun when going out in a group! 🙂

GreenRoom
    Free Member

told what to do by some overgrown egomaniacal control freak?

Now now don't be so mean about sfb.

I like it all, solo in the high hills, evening balls to the wall shop rides, giant teams of boggies, pootles with a few mates. It's all good

RoterStern
    Free Member

I also ride solo for 99.9% of the time as my working hours are different to everyone else's plus I find I am used to pushing myself hard. I have time in the mornings when everyone else is at work or my night rides start at around 9pm after I finish work which is the time that most group night rides are finishing. I hook up with a larger group once every two or three months where we head off to somewhere uncharted with one acting as a guide or alternatively if timetables match I sometimes head out with someone from our MTB team. But I treat the group rides as fun and not training which is quite an important distinction to make if you want to avoid the type of scenarios portrayed in samuri's post.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Solo.
    I have no friends.
    Although I do have some punctuation.

user-removed
    Free Member

Trail centres are much more fun with mates – wouldn't go by myself. All day, epic, natural stuff I do by myself – mostly because I haven't any mates into all day riding / pedalling up mountains.

I do worry though, that although I always try to let someone know where I'm going, and when I'm likely to be back, I almost always end up changing my route. Sometimes I'll get to the start of a trail which looks fantastic on the map, only to find it's a non-existent boggy mess, or I'll see an irresistable trail and head off on a massive tangent.

Not a problem if I'm riding near home, but potentially lethal if I'm up North….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why would I want to be told what to do by some overgrown egomaniacal control freak?

hmmm, you have described me exactly 🙂 However, it's my observation that most riders prefer to be relieved of the responsibility of leading or making decisions and are happy to follow someone who knows the way, and I see it as my responsibility to update the route taking into account the abilities and energy levels of the riders so that everyone has as much fun as possible. It's not so much the exercise of control as the intuition of the group consensus, eased by the fact that most people are happy or at least willing to do what the group does.

I love leading rides, and I think it would be a betrayal of trust to use them to satisfy my own preferences ahead of those of the other riders. They give me the benefit of their company and compliance and I give them the benefit of my experience and knowledge – a mutual contract

timraven

Both have different appeals and problems.
    I tend to push hard solo just because no one pushes me harder than me.
    Try to do at least one of each every week, however work keeps getting in the way at this time of year. Bah, humbug 😕

Ti29er
    Free Member

It is my experience, and that of others, that two is a grouping that will normally take the short way home.
    One will bite the bullet and stay out.
    One of my training partners with whom I occasionally manage to get out and ride as he lives 2hrs away, is both fitter, stronger, more trail capable and so a trail center such as Penmachno was a perfect 3hr blast.
    It leaves me somewhat drained and a little out of my comfort zone.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I tend to push hard solo just because no one pushes me harder than me.

I'm the opposite. I'm very lazy and without others challenging me I'd just pootle around looking at clouds and rocks and trees all the time 🙂

Swello
    Free Member

I prefer to ride with others – but as my "riding time" at the moment is either during normal working hours or at night – it's a bit more difficult….

Ti29er
    Free Member

*makes a note never to follow Simon on any ride*

MrSparkle

I only like riding with my mate Samuri.

PJ266
    Free Member

I think its quite odd that people go out for a ride on their own?

Keva
    Free Member

I prefer riding on my own or with just one or two others who ride at the same pace. The majority of group rides I've been on move at about half the pace or less to what I'm used to so unless I feel like dawdling around I tend to give them a miss.

Kev

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

*makes a note never to follow Simon on any ride*

I usually lead from the rear, but fortunately I have a loud voice :o)

grumm
    Free Member

I think its quite odd that people go out for a ride on their own?

I think its quite odd that people wouldn't go out for a ride on their own.

I prefer riding in a group, but will happily go out alone. I definitely do less silly stuff when I'm on my own.

Not sure that I would do this though.

Sirneildementure
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Premier Member

Why would I want to be told what to do by some overgrown egomaniacal control freak?

hmmm, you have described me exactly

Sorry, not my words. Met someone on Darwen Tower on Saturday who uttered those lines. We'd only just met, so you must have made a great impact.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm with samuri. But don't tell anyone, it's our little secret.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I'm booked into these:
    24hrs of Exposure – UK Solo MTB Championships
    The UK's first solo only 24 hour race open to beginners and experienced riders alike.
    And:
    Montane Kielder 100
    Britain's first 100 mile, single lap, mountain bike race being held at Kielder Forest.

You have to confident to ride and train on your own when you enter these events IMHO.

lowey

Riding with Mates is great. Its a good laugh, always good poking fun at each others shortcomings and the general camaraderie. However, every once in a while its good to just head out and ride on your own. No worries about pace, route or stops, just you, your bike and nature. Food for the soul.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Met someone on Darwen Tower on Saturday who uttered those lines. We'd only just met, so you must have made a great impact.

Yay! Fame at any price :o)

I think its quite odd that people wouldn't go out for a ride on their own.

I did try it a few times before I joined the Bog Trotters, but in comparison to a group ride I just find it lifeless. But it takes all sorts, and I admire those able to motivate themselves to ride alone while edging quietly away…

lowey

Sorry, not my words. Met someone on Darwen Tower on Saturday who uttered those lines. We'd only just met, so you must have made a great impact.

What bike were you on ? :p

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Hard riding on your own…’ is closed to new replies.