Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Hard hitting 'don't text whilst driving' safety video.
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6biw3LEq_0c&feature=share[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

Good, show what will really happen.

tarquin
    Free Member

I would be questioning why driver of the red car which ploughs into the side of them was driving on the wrong side of the road….

But hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a road safety video 😉

hughjayteens
    Free Member

tarquin – Member
    I would be questioning why driver of the red car which ploughs into the side of them was driving on the wrong side of the road….
    But hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a road safety video

Maybe they were texting too!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I would be questioning how anybody anywhere could ever possibly think texting and driving were compatible

thekingisdead
    Free Member

sh1t thats powerful

SST
    Free Member

This week in Johannesburg a woman crashed whilst breast feeding here baby and driving at the same time.

“Johannesburg – An entire family were killed on Thursday morning when the mother – apparently breastfeeding her 1-year-old daughter while driving the car – collided with a bus.

A passenger in the bus lost both her legs when she was flung through the windshield.

Paramedics removed baby Miné’s body from the breast of her mother Eunice Franklin,29, in the driver’s seat of the family’s car.

Toddler Bradley, 3, who was sitting in the front passenger seat without a seatbelt, was decapitated.

The father, Mark, 39, was sitting in the back seat.

A family member, Alta de Villiers, said it is “God’s mercy” that the whole family died together “because Eunice would never have been able to live without her children”

Over here in SA I see people texting/BBMing/Facebooking – whatever it is they’re doing, every single day. On any given journey you will see at least 25% of drivers talking on the phone whilst driving. If you pull into a shop car park you nearly always come up against a woman trying to talk on the phone/steer/change gear who’s taking up all of the road. They drive with kids standing on the front seat leaning on the dashboard or sitting on a parents lap on the front seat.

They routinly overload busses and minibus taxis, they don’t have an MOT requirment – so there are cars on the road with no lights, indicators, mirrors etc. Stopping at red lights is something they only do if there are actually cars crossing the intersection on a green light. I slow down at lights regardless of the colour they are.

Consequently the roads here are a bolldbath.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

…well, I have to admit that although I hate seeing anyone on their mobile whilst driving, I have sometimes texted.

I’m an idiot and a hypocrite. I aint doing it again.

Shouldn’t need a video to tell me what to do at my age.
    ***feels ashamed***

Coyote
    Free Member

****. Why is that not on terrestrial TV?

globalti
    Free Member

White South Africans can be remarkably obtuse; you can tell from the kinds of technical enquiries we receive from our agent there. The really irritating thing is that for years they have been asking the same stupid questions again and again and never seem to learn, or bother to learn.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Powerfull stuff,agree with Coyote it should be on terrestrial TV
    ironically probably be banned for being too shocking

Drac

That was very well done but really reflects what can happen with most careless driving. I agree Coyote needs to be on network TV probably only been used in Welsh or Cinemas.

thomthumb
    Free Member

but i only do it for a second

and i always keep looking back at the road.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

IIRC the guy who filmed that did it on about a £9K budget and won quite a few awards. Very well done indeed. I used to text when driving until one dark damp night I looked up and there was a young girl in the middle of the road who was also texting and thought the 3″ white line would be a safe place to stand as I and a car on opposite carriageway passed her at the same time. I shook me up as if I was driving carefully I could have given her more room/stopped and not literally skim her with my door mirror

Drac

£9k bloody hell he did well on that but no doubt had a lot of help from the Emergency Services.

Lifer
    Free Member

One of my mates is terrible for texting/general phone fiddling while driving. Worn out telling him what an f-wit he is so just don’t get in the car with him now.

surfer
    Free Member

I would be questioning how anybody anywhere could ever possibly think texting and driving were compatible

My job means I drive a lot and you would be staggered by the idiots on our roads. Only last week I saw a woman on the phone holding it to her ear whilst holding a cup of coffee in the other hand. No hands on the wheel doing roughly 70 on the motorway. We could go on with these anecdotes the problem is it appears to be getting worse not better.

If you txt when you are driving you are a C***K. End of!

SST
    Free Member

re “White South Africans “

they don’t differentiate by colour here anymore. It’s heavily frowned upon. They are now “The Rainbow Nation”

🙂

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I know I’ve certainly done it in the past and it is a mightily stupid thing to do and completely inexcusable.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

a mate has recenlty started with the road cops down our way and he said you would not believe the amount of people still using mobiles in cars. he said its actually getting worse not better.

there really is no excuse, why dont people just buy a bluetooth headset??

i really dont get it.

its the idiots in top of the range cars that do it that really grates me, surely a car of that vaule has it built in or why the **** didnt they get it as an option in the first place?

maybe its me

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I think texting has to be worse than talking – both inexcusable though. My car has Bluetooth and I still miss turnings etc when on a phone so handsfree still isn’t idea or fully safe.

Coyote
    Free Member

*bump* for the evening crew.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

One of the reasons I very rarely drive now.

grantway
    Free Member

Worry is you see so many people doing it
    In Central London and east London here.

Obvious thing is to have a fixed fine and sentence
    even if there is no accident.
    What gets me when people get stopped and they go absolutely mad.

singletrackmind

Give the Police power to confiscate the phone , maybe till an appropriate fine is paid?
    “But its my works phone , I’ll miss loads of business and maybe get fired if I cant get it back till tomorrow!” Tough . Should have thought about that before texing someone whilst driving . The person you hit wont get their life back. Ever .

That video needs editting down to 3 mins and showing during prime time on mainsteam tv.

emanuel
    Free Member

I feel so vulnerable,on my road bike.

I think it shouldn’t be edited down.the crash scene is hard hitting,but not that much.The crash scene in death proof,for example,is much harder.besides,we’ve seen so many crashes.

its the emergency services,just doing their job,like they do every day & the driver’s realisation of the event,cause and effects.
    that hits hard.for me anyway.

mrchrispy

Was trying to pit a number on the amount of people I see on the phone or texting on my commute, reckon it something like 1 in 20. Every fooking day, how crazy is that?!?!?!

SST
    Free Member

“But its my works phone , I’ll miss loads of business and maybe get fired if I cant get it back till tomorrow!”

def not an escuse. Pull off the road, stop driving, text, start driving again. It only takes 30 secs.

And if you say it will take ages ‘cos your “slow at texting” then what makes you think you’d be faster at texting whilst driving at the same time?? Police need to be very hard to these people.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think texting has to be worse than talking – both inexcusable though. My car has Bluetooth and I still miss turnings etc when on a phone so handsfree still isn’t idea or fully safe.

Yep – I’ve learned to concentrate more on the road than the call, so I often drift off from the conversation when something’s happening on the road. I often apologise to the caller in advance for my lack of concentration. And I hardly ever actually make calls from the car, and never anything more than ‘I’ll be home in an hour’ or whatever it is.

spooky_b329

I was expecting it to be more ‘hard hitting’ than it was, the slow motion of the crash seemed to take away from the sickening bang and severity of a head-on accident, and the side impact would normally result in a much more mangled car. Not as hard hitting as the accident I saw on the M23 recently with about six fire engines, a roofless car and the sheet being held up by the firefighters.

The clip also could give the impression that the girl was not looking where she was going for several seconds, causing her to cross onto the wrong side of the road, whereas we all know its the loss of split second response to a situation, or the tunnel vision, where you are successfully following the road directly in front of you but are unaware of what is going on around you that is the danger.

Its a good film, and should be on TV, but I felt it was like something you’d watch in Casualty.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Hard hitting 'don't text whilst driving' safety video.’ is closed to new replies.