Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Happy upbeat biographies or fact based books for 11yo girl
  • Albanach
    Free Member

My niece, who is 11 yars old (going on 30), likes to read but we have to keep her away from anything dark as she is unable to remove herself from what she reads (I hope I described that properly). Anyone got any suggestions of happy or upbeat books or biographies she would like? The last two she read were The Queen and Michael Collins.
    Cheers

Riksbar

Sophie’s World?

Albanach
    Free Member

Cheers Rik…keep em coming

ninfan
    Free Member

My 13 YO avid reader of a daughter says:

Sophies world is ok, but quite philosophical and some quite tough ideas, though some good life lessons.

she recommends a streetcat named bob, as its a very positive story though covers some mature stuff (about someone overcoming drug addiction)

if she’s into wildlife/outdoors – a year in the woods, written by a fc wildlife ranger (contains deer culling etc)

she says ‘theres a boy in the girls bathroom’ is very funny

Louis sachar’s ‘holes’ is always a great one, and the wayside school series books are great

factual wise, she says:

ripleys believe it or not, but with some uuurrgghh moments, though not dark

‘why is snot green’ and the associated series, very good science introductions

Ben Goldacres bad science she loves, bit geeky but teaches to read between the lines

sodadr
    Free Member

I’ll suggest “Dancing Naked in the Mind Field” by Kary Mullis. It may seem from some descriptions to be a bit “adult” for an 11 year old, but I would have loved it at that age. Nothing nasty or scary in it, just lovely imaginative stuff. http://www.amazon.ca/Dancing-Naked-Mind-Field-Mullis/dp/0679774009

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Catcher in The Rye. 😀

Ben Goldacres bad science she loves, bit geeky but teaches to read between the lines

You. I like you. Props for this.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Happy upbeat biographies or fact based books for 11yo girl’ is closed to new replies.