Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Happy ending!
  • shermer75
    Free Member

It’s nice to read a story with a happy ending for a change. A couple were forced to overnight in the Cairngorms in some pretty nasty sounding conditions, and managed to walk themselves (and their dog!) out to safety the next day after spending the night in an emergency bivvy bag:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38488123

thepurist

That’s some feat of survival. I’m glad they pulled it off.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Saw that on the news earlier, have to say I was fearing the worst. Smart to take a bivi bag on a normal dog walk.

sbob
    Free Member

thepurist – Member

That’s some feat of survival stupidity.

It’s a mountain, it’s winter.
    Wake up people!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s a mountain, it’s winter.
    Wake up people!

Good job they took the right equipment in order to survive and walk off the hill then, innit?
    Twist your knickers at the t-shirt wearing, hypothermia attracting muppets.

sbob
    Free Member

I’m not sure we should be lauding people for sparking a mountain rescue search.
    You’re probably not aware that people do die there. 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

sbob – Member

I’m not sure we should be lauding people for sparking a mountain rescue search.
    You’re probably not aware that people do die there.
    But this pair didn’t.
    Are you sure they’re being lauded?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You’re probably not aware that people do die there

yes, especially the idiots that don’t take emergency kit like bivvy bags. The people that do take precautions are often found safe and well.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Maybe sbob would of preferred they didn’t make it, to teach them a lesson like

jamj1974

Smart to take a bivi bag on a normal dog walk.

I always have one in my riding pack… People have laughed at me in the past…

Toddboy
    Free Member

‘Happy ending’, sorry, thought this was about massages! 😳

shermer75
    Free Member

I also have an emergency bivvi bag that sits like a weighty lump at the bottom of my pack for when I go on mid winter treks (in winter hills become mountains etc) but reading stories like this reaffirms my belief that it’s the right thing to do!

slowoldman

Whenever I go out in the hills I always have an emergency shelter in the hall cupboard. I’ll remember it one day, probably when hypothermic somewhere.

sbob
    Free Member

mitsumonkey – Member

Maybe sbob would of preferred they didn’t make it, to teach them a lesson like

Of course not, that would be silly, and horrible.
    I just think enough people have made the same mistake before (some with tragic consequences) that we could learn from them, without making the same mistakes ourselves. Again. 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Whenever I go out in the hills I always have an emergency shelter in the hall cupboard

Beautifully put! 😆

newrobdob
    Free Member

I think they should be lauded! Sensible people taking sensible precautions because “you never know” what th weather will do. Even more so they decided to play it safe and stop where they were and survive rather than plunge over a cliff trying to walk out when they couldn’t see/navigate properly.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I just think enough people have made the same mistake before (some with tragic consequences) that we could learn from them, without making the same mistakes ourselves. Again.

What lesson would you like the article to send out? It seems to me that the previous mistakes have been learnt from and this couple went out with a bivvy bag, which ultimately saved them demonstrating that the mistake had not been made. Again.
    I think you could be reading a different article, differently. As long as you’ve learnt from your mistake, the world will be a better place and people won’t waste their time trying to correct you.

Sandwich

I get what snob is about. They were inadequately equipped for a mountain walk. No map or compass from some reports. Mountain rescue is for recovering the injured not the deficient. That looked walk out territory with all the right kit.

Spin
    Free Member

Mountain rescue is for recovering the injured not the deficient.

Utter bollocks. MR is for helping anyone in difficulty on the hills regardless of why.

jon1973
    Free Member

‘Happy ending’, sorry, thought this was about massages!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who picked up on that. Especially when the second post went on to say…

I’m glad they pulled it off

I nearly spat my tea out.

jam-bo

Mountain rescue is for recovering the injured not the deficient.

on that basis, isn’t it irresponsible to expect help for a injury?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Happy ending!’ is closed to new replies.