Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Happy birthday, C64
  • bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve still got a couple of these up in the loft – really must get one down and working to show the young ‘un what computers used to be like. Did my first hacking on a C64, with a 1200/75 baud modem. Having academic parents was brilliant, I got the cast-offs whenever the universities changed computer systems. Up there is also a BBC Master, with the external Winchester hard drive…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

You were all lucky to have a 64.

I had a second hand ZX81… with the rubbish touch sensitive keypad and optional 16K wobbly ram pack that kept on falling off. I later upgraded to the dizzy heights of the Vic20 which had a proper keyboard, and joy of joys took game cartridges.

Couldn’t afford games though so mainly used to tape them off mates on dodgy C90s or spend hours, no days typing in reams and reams of machine code copied from dog-eared copies of Sinclair and Commodore User which had already done the rounds of most of the school. Miss a bit of code and you’d have to go through it all line by line.

But you try and tell the young people today that… and they won’t believe you.

philbert31
    Free Member

Mrs Toast, thankyou thankyou thankyou, just downloaded the app, it’s made my day! 😆

Drac

My 9 year old daughter heard the tape loading on that video and came over to see what it was, I explained to her and after 30 seconds she wandered off back to her laptop.

Cougar

Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk was released on iPad last year.

Very buggy, last I heard?

project
    Free Member

I had a vic 20, the predecessor to the comodore 64, and the tape recorder/player.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Very buggy, last I heard?

Think it’s been updated since first launch, not sure though – it was a Codies thing rather than a Blitz thing. The copyright is shared between the twins and Codies.

druidh
    Free Member

Meh. I had a BBC Model B with the 6502 Second Processor. Elite in colour!!!!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I had a speccy +2 and then various flavours of Amiga, culminating in a tower based A1200 with a Voodoo gfx card, 40mhz(!) ‘040 accelerator and a soundblaster card.

The C64 was leagues ahead of the speccy, I’ve had a play with them on various emulators over the years, which is probably the best way to enjoy retro computers – the Amiga included.

/nerd

Cougar

I saw a bloke on the train yesterday with a Jet Set Willy t-shirt. I contemplated mugging him for it.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Happy birthday, C64’ is closed to new replies.