Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Happiness (other than family and the smile from a childs face)
  • chubstr
    Free Member

Where do you find it?

I’ve come to the conclusion that all I do is work, look after the family and watch a bit of telly, no hobbies to speak off. I suppose I don’t do anything really.

So other than cycling, what do you do to stop yourself reaching for the pills?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sea angling. Just love being by the sea & the anticipation of seeing the rod bend is a bonus. Glasgowdan will know what I mean.
    Peace & tranquility.

jonm81

Make stuff. Anything from remote control planes to bike frames to drawing. Seeing something you made yourself is really satisfying and will always bring a smile to your face.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

EDIT, I’ll soon be back into the model aircraft stuff as well now I’ve got a dedicated room!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Reliving my youth through my kids, currently ice skating and roller hockey street hockey, stuff me and my boys can do together and I can go and do on my own should I want. Once you get over the mental barrier of looking a right tit in a pair of skates it’s not that bad

Edukator
    Free Member

Noodling on a telecaster, walking places, intimacy, reading (including STW where I can add to what I read), rock and roll dancing, swimming, DIY… .

jonm81

EDIT, I’ll soon be back into the model aircraft stuff as well now I’ve got a dedicated room!

Can send you the plans for one of these if you fancy building from scratch

They look great and are hilarious to fly

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Ferreting

ton

sampling fine ales, in fine drinking establishments. apart from when i am on the bike, this is the only time i relax properly. i plan cycle touring holidays around the Camra handbook.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

*waves at Ton*

loddrik
    Free Member

Bed. Sleep is great.

enfht
    Free Member

Zoning out on bikes, the female form, trees, clouds, seasons, weed & music.

footflaps

Coke and Hookers…..

TiRed

What is this “other than cycling” of which you speak? 😉

I do maths, science and medicine. It’s a hobby, vocation and day job at the same time.

ton

*waves at Ton*

hello Jim……..you ok?

nickc

Being outside. Just watching/feeling the seasons turn, walking, riding, running in it, don’t care really, but it just lifts my spirits pretty much straight away. The plants, trees, wildlife, weather, all of it. Can feel the stress of life just flowing away.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Love of a good woman. My job. Skiing. Seeing theatre and gigs and comedy. Reading books. Drinking with friends.

Vegging out on the sofa right now with my 14 yr old, as my ex has gone away, watching trash tv.

Life is good but put sometimes you need effort into finding interesting things. Do one interesting thing a week.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

Schweiz
    Free Member

Fatbike night ride in the snow with a full moon. Temperature -4degC so everything crisp and dry. It was perfect.

badnewz
    Free Member

learning new things.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

don’t watch tv, limit yourself on the computer/tablet/phone…suddenly you’ll have a lot of time to write a novel, poem, do some photography, paint, draw, build stuff, create in general.

sobriety
    Free Member

Restoring small capacity Italian two-stroke motorcycles (satisfying, frustrating and expensive in equal parts)

The look on my girlfriends face when she realises that I’ve cooked dinner while she’s marking.

allfankledup

Cycling, carting kids about, a spot of target shooting when I get the chance

Still looking for some NRA stickers for the back of my van….

MrOvershoot

My wife laughing or smiling, she has faced up to MS destroying her body & life with so much more courage than I will ever have.

ads678

A feet good fart, always makes me smile.

And just getting out into the hills, fresh air. Biking, walking, snowboarding if hills are big enough!!

bearnecessities

The sound of ads678’s feet farts.

jekkyl

planning the demise of my enemies, flower arranging, music, nice hot showers, spending time on my PC alone late at night with dual screens, errrr sorry got to go…

fasthaggis

Go Zen man.
    Get connected to the tiny moments in your world.
    There is a lot of good stuff out there ,if just give it some extra time instead of rushing past looking for the next big thing.
    Peace
    😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

hello Jim……..you ok?

Naa, still a bit crap, going to Reeth tomorrow with Steve & my lad, 1st time out since about mid November, can’t be arsed.

badnewz
    Free Member

YouTube as opposed to TV makes me happy. I can watch the things that interest me, which are too niche to get airtime on mainstream TV, such as seventeenth-century history documentaries.
    Creating things can also be enjoyable, but it’s also a struggle, so I have plenty of unfinished projects and poems.

garage-dweller

Make stuff. Anything from remote control planes to bike frames to drawing. Seeing something you made yourself is really satisfying and will always bring a smile to your face.

This x2 and obviously riding a bike, any bike.

As well as getting diy done … for making I’ve got Airfix planes on the go, the scenery, buildings and electrics for the kids 00 railway and a bit partial to their Lego too.

I also like cooking and fixing bikes and cars.

My eldest fancies a go at sea fishing so maybe we’ll try that this year. Crabbing is always a hit too.

wallop

I don’t need much. I enjoy my job but I really love spending time with my husband. Went out for dinner tonight, looking forward to going away next weekend. Coming home to the cats makes me happy too – they are daft little things.

spacemonkey

Aside from the ‘usual’, I’m gonna go with educating myself. Nothing highbrow. More a case of bringing myself up to spec on topics I believe I should have a greater appreciation for. Eg the Cold War … being a kid of the 70s/80s I was shit-scared of the world ending and subsequently remained on the periphery of the subject. Have just started watching The Cold War 24 part docu-series, narrated by Mr Brannagh, and it’s pretty damn good.

I also aim to dive into some of the buddhist teachings/practices I did a few years back … and figure out what it’s like to live in the ‘now’ as opposed to constantly striving for X and Y.

geologist
    Free Member

I think it’s the thought of better times to come! I’mthe same as you op. I love my young family , 2young children and a busy life with not much time for me. I’m planning on getting fit and racing badly at cyclocross in the coming winter and looking forward to a long weekend in Iceland and my summer hols. It’s hard when your life is dedicated to/ commited to a young family. But I’m assured by older wiser people that it gets more expensive, but you get your you time back as the kids get older 🙂

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Sleep – takes away the pain, I think as a middle aged male life is pretty shit on the whole – you spend your life providing/delivering / supporting kids wife parents etc. so it’s just shit really

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Sorry been to pub for six hours – 7 pints of wild boar and 3 taliskers – off to bed

JulianA
    Free Member

MrOvershoot – Member
    My wife laughing or smiling, she has faced up to MS destroying her body & life with so much more courage than I will ever have.

Struggling to imagine how you cope but trust that you find the strength to continue. Meant in earnest.

yunki
    Free Member

Beer, art, bad taste humour and a right good knees up

MrSmith
    Free Member

Putting on pants and socks from a warm radiator after a shower,

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^
    Stop stealing my pants off the radiator and stop coming in my house!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Happiness (other than family and the smile from a childs face)’ is closed to new replies.