Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Hanger broken on commuter HOW MUCH???!
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

hanger broke on way home from work tonight, somehow the mech went thorugh the wheel without causing any damage, :-).

got home, took hanger off, put on one of those temporary ones that link onto the axle (bloody useful)

went onto CRC. £20!!!!!

that means if I bought it, it would make up 20% of the cost of the bike (which hasn’t missed a beat in over three years – a super duper ebay bargain)

but £20 for a hanger. jeeez!

single speed is coming, whether I like it or not…..

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a HT Carrera Zelos frame 18″ you can have for £40 posted???

ziggy
    Free Member

Isn’t that what hangers cost?

£20 to fix a broken bike seems very little to me, at least you didn’t wreck the mech.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

£20 for a bit of cast aluminium seems like a **** of a lot to me.

I don’t normally balk at stuff like this, but seriously, the cost of manufacture compared to retail is off the scale…..

user-removed
    Free Member

These guys are very good and much cheaper than most but they’re in the States – mine came in about four days though IIRC.

69er
    Free Member

So what are your options?

jimjam
    Free Member

That’s what they cost. Crazy, but true. I’m sure they must cost pence to make. I wonder could they make them out of some sort of very strong nylon….y’know stiff enough to work but capable of bending? Meh.

Drac

So it’s cost you £20 in 3 years and complaining. 🙄

HansRey

well, if you could cast/ machine it for less than £20, good luck. Businesses have to survive, hence charging £20

andrewh
    Free Member

well, if you could cast/ machine it for less than £20, good luck

One, unlikely. The 5000 they make, quite probably

audiophile
    Free Member

Just looked and found that a replacment for my Merlin is 15 quid, so I’m in agreement that it’s a rip off. I guess they can charge pretty much what they like ‘cos if I need one, I need one and it’s not as if I can shop around. Not keen on the fairly new practice of putting replacable hangers on steel frames, the beauty of having a steel frame was ( well, one of the beauties ) that you could simply bend it back.

fourbanger
    Free Member

well, if you could cast/ machine it for less than £20, good luck

One, unlikely. The 5000 they make, quite probably

I reckon you could get a small machine shop to nock one up for around 20. I’m sure it wouldn’t be pretty, but it would do the job.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

If a machine shop could do you ONE for £20, get them to do 100 for £10 and flog them on ebay 😉

user-removed
    Free Member

^^^ Meant to say, I ordered a few from that US link I supplied above – they work out a lot cheaper that way.

fourbanger
    Free Member

If a machine shop could do you ONE for £20, get them to do 100 for £10 and flog them on ebay

I wouldn’t even pay that as I have a milling machine. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

This boils my piss also…they are designed to be fragile, are really poor quality, there’s about 100 different incompatible designs that are only slightly different.

The markup must be huge, as with tyres, cables, tubes, brake pads etc…I guess it makes the bigger stuff cheaper.

I do blame Thatcher of course.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Well, on principle, I’m going to find an old, incompatible hanger and take a file to it til it does fit.

Like I say, i’m generally happy to pay for most things on bikes, it’s just this one component, that is DESIGNED to be sacrificial and replacable is so expensive. would be good if there was a standard among hangers so there wern’t so many designs.

Drac

Yeah that’ll teach. Grrr!

nickf
    Free Member

Not keen on the fairly new practice of putting replacable hangers on steel frames, the beauty of having a steel frame was ( well, one of the beauties ) that you could simply bend it back.

I’ve just written off my 456 frame because the mech stayed on and the frame ate itself.

A £20 mech hanger would have been a much better idea.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

£20 for a component compared to the cost of a new frame? I’m not sure I see the problem.

I do, however, concur, that perhaps some sort of standard should be introduced. Not sure how this would happen tho.

rOcKeTdOg

look at it this way, at least it’s replaceable. a built in hanger breaking (i have a couple of steel frames like this) would be considerably more hassle to bend back/have a new one welded on. £20 for something you’ll probably (hopefully) only need to replace once is ok i think

andyl
    Free Member

Hangers prices are completely stupid. But I guess it’s partly because there are so many of them out there that a bike shop may never sell some stock.

One thing I really like about the new On-One swap-out system is they are £9.99 a side and generic across their new frame range so hopefully they will drop even further. Would be nice if you could buy them for a reduced amount as a pair when swapping to track ends for example.

EDIT: if hangers were more reasonable I am sure more people would actually buy and carry a spare. I think a spare should come with most frame anyway.

fontmoss
    Free Member

if it’s a trek or gf let me know, im sure i have a couple knocking about, my bikes are ss so don’t need them

kimbers

thats nothing the ones for my 07 stinky are 30 quid

(and that US company have got the wrong one listed)

wwaswas

the on-one bolt on hanger on my carbon 456 is pretty chunky – I was worried it would transmit all the force to the frame and break that.

running SS at the mo so it’s not an issue but I might look at a bit of machining to weaken it beforeI put gears on it.

Speshpaul

NickF
    It’s steel it will weld!
    If you don’t want it i’ll have it:-)

infidel
    Free Member

£9.40 for a spare hanger for my Yeti 575….lesson = buy a Yeti!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

the on-one bolt on hanger on my carbon 456 is pretty chunky – I was worried it would transmit all the force to the frame and break that.

It will bend/break in between the mech and dropout. The wheel QR stiffens things up.

nickf
    Free Member

NickF
    It’s steel it will weld!
    If you don’t want it i’ll have it:-)

Unfortunately it’s not just the hanger – the whole drop out has been twisted and stretched to the point that it’d be too big even for a 20mm hub. It could be fixed, but it was cheaper to get a 2nd hand frame.

Anyhow, it’s going on the wall as a memento of a much-loved and (t)rusty five years.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Hanger broken on commuter HOW MUCH???!’ is closed to new replies.