• This topic has 32 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Hands up if you like space rockets taking off!
  • Kit
    Free Member

This put a smile on my face today 🙂

tazzymtb

yey, way to put massive amounts of pollutants into the atmosphere for no F**kin benefit 😉

Kit
    Free Member

Much like the existence of this forum and all who post on it 😉

tazzymtb

😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

Love it. It's something I've always wanted to see first hand.

rolkin
    Free Member

liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen… pollutant?

don't think so.

i loves a big rocket.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Some of them (ie the shuttle and non-manned rockets) use solid fuelled boosters. Others use kerosene and LOX.

However, IIRC the giant Saturn boosters were indeed Hydrogen and LOX and as such left nought but rain clouds in their wake.

tazzymtb

liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen.

and how do you get oxygen and hydrogen into liquid state without using energy from another source? Pollution! we're all going to die, global warming is real and it's all YOUR fault! *runs off hysterically waving hands in the air*

scaredypants

"watched" a shuttle go up* in florida a while ago – wikkd awsum noise, even from quite a distance

*no, not the one that "went up" in flames

PJM1974
    Free Member

It's a shame Obama cancelled the Ares. Would love to have seen a Saturn sized rocket fly again (do rockets really "fly" in the strictest sense of the word?).

The last Saturn thundered into the sky in 1975, shame we'll never see it's like again.

andyg
    Free Member

I remember watching the Apollo launches and they were always exciting. The space shuttle launches didn't have the same appeal. The launch today was reminiscient of the Vostok launches and it looks like the design hasn't changed much since then
    The first stage of the Saturn used kerosene and liguid oxygen.

Kevevs
    Free Member

puts up hand.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Pollution!

Electric rockets are the solution.

Mind you, it would be a bugger if you miscalculated the length of the lead required and the plug pulled out of the socket just before reaching orbit 😐

tazzymtb

but you still have to make electricity somehow, we are still doomed! 😯

mrchrispy

dont take this wrong but…..
    **** off hippy.
    rockets are cool.
    end of story.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hippy rocket :

tazzymtb

LMAO I'll **** off then, nighty nite. 😀

westkipper
    Free Member

Whatever happened to Freeman Dyson and his nuclear rockets?
    I think I'm glad that idea got shelved.
    "a maximum of no more than a thousand extra deaths,tops, from the radiation, Mr President!" 🙂

scottyjohn
    Free Member

If you like space stuff, and you are near an IMAX cinema, there is a movie called "Space Station 3D" filmed by Locheed Martin and NASA, and its the most amazing thing Ive ever seen, go see it!!

PJM1974
    Free Member

There is an international treaty forbidding the detonation of nuclear devises in space… Despite the fact that a massive thermonuclear fireball exists some 93 million miles away.

Project Daedalus would have enabled a human crew to reach Barnard's Star in circa sixty years.

Kevevs
    Free Member

seen that scotty on imax3d, it made the little kid in me scream with satisfaction! I love any kind of space stuff, anything.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Nah, rockets are lame.

I want an Ekranoplan!

Ekranoplan, Ekranoplan, EKRANOPLAN!!!!

Kevevs
    Free Member

fat boat.

Northwind

I see no reason why we can't exist in a world with both big cool rockets and caspian see monsters.

Kevevs
    Free Member

i agree northwind, that's a given, but to make this dream a reality. pool our resources. I have £43.

Talkemada
    Free Member

K'off 'fat boat'!

What do rockets do? They go up, into space. Big deal. What's in Space? Nothing. No shops, pubs or anything to do. Boring. With an Ekranoplan, you can mooch about and see stuff. Take your bike, so when you pull into port, you can go for a ride. Or do a bit of fishing off the side. Better than any crappy rocket; can't even go outside.

Boss!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Satellites are useful: climate research weather Imaging land use gps tv telephony telescopes solar storm monitoring gravity wave detection comet science life on mars exploring Uranus!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Boooring!

There's nowt on Mars, stars look ok for 5 minutes then I lose interest, and if there's anything in Uranus, I don't think I want to know about it, quite frankly!

Ekranoplans, on the other hand, are fascinating.

scuttler

With an Ekranoplan, you can mooch about and see stuff. Take your bike, so when you pull into port, you can go for a ride. Or do a bit of fishing off the side. Better than any crappy rocket; can't even go outside.

…and you can blow shit up too. But then that might pollute the atmosphere.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Project Daedalus would have enabled a human crew to reach Barnard's Star in circa sixty years.

😯 Sod going all that way possibly only to conclude, "OK guys, nothing to see here – let's go home".

sputnik
    Free Member

Thanks for the vid , Kit. That is very amazing. Space exploration is the way forward.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

"Space exploration is the way forward"

Indeed it is.

The final frontier in fact.

Kuco

Love it, my sister was lucky enough to see the shuttle go up when she was on holiday in America.

How can people go on about pollutants while they use a computer and ride a bike. All the manufacturing that goes into making these things never mind all the pollutants from shipping them.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Hands up if you like space rockets taking off!’ is closed to new replies.