Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Handlebar advice / shifter advice
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

Looking for some advice or ideas please regarding butterfly/trekking handlebars.

I’m using a set just now, but they just seem too narrow. My thumbs knock on my Deore shifter paddles when they’re mounted mostly on the bar. If I move the shifters inboard (towards inside end of bars, towards stem)so that the shifter windows hang over the end of the bar then they don’t shift very well.

The bars are humpert 570mm wide, don’t really see any wider ones available.

Would maybe grip shift allow me more room?
    Has anyone used the microshift twist shifters? They’re cheap and maybe worth a punt just to see how I get on?

cheers

Sam

old style thumbshifters are probably your best bet. I think you’d probably struggle to get most twist shifters around the bends in the bar.

STATO
    Free Member

If I move the shifters inboard (towards inside end of bars, towards stem)so that the shifter windows hang over the end of the bar then they don’t shift very well.

Why dont they shift well? suggest you look at the cable routing in this position, there should be no reason for them not to shift as well as they do further on the bar.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

I think the stem is causing the cables to bend a bit sharper than they should. I’ve changed the angle of the bars to stop this happening. The shifting just didn’t seem as crisp, also the sound of shifting was not as satisfying.

I’ll have a fiddle.
    Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar advice / shifter advice’ is closed to new replies.