Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Handing your notice in at work
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Having a few motivational issues after verbally accepting a job and waiting for the contract to arrive. Really want to hand my notice in but have to wait for the checks to be done and contract to be signed…

Been in the same job for nearly 10 years and wondering what the current trend is for doing it, especially when you are home based. Do I need to do it face to face? Should I wait until the new employer has confirmed everything is all in place or is signing the contract enough?

Cheers

Boredwacked

jamiep
    Free Member

wait for confirmation that you have something to move on to, and then send a simple, polite letter/email specifying your notice and what will be your final day (ie in writting)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Should have also added – Any tips on how to obtain gardening leave?

I’m going to a competitor, I work in a client facing role and everything I do currently is strategically important stuff the competitor wants to know (hence why they are stealing me)

martinh
    Free Member

I’d phone your manager/boss and tell them before sending the official notification.

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I would wait until you get your new paperwork through first before handing in your notice. About Gardening leave, if your old employer does not mention anything about it or it was in your contract. Just go and tell your new employee everything he wants to here. It is up to your old employer to protect himself, so if there is nothing in your current contract, then it is his fault for not protecting himself.
    But you might want to check with a legal person first…

yossarian
    Free Member

Any tips on how to obtain gardening leave

send in a video clip of you hooting like a monkey and rubbing yourself?

Sui
    Free Member

i’m sure your current contract will have something in about IP, though in practice enforcing it is very difficult (i’ve been through it and hope to be going through it again shortly). Normally gardening leave isn’t officially in a contract one way or the other, but is given by your current employer to stop the leaching of IP at that point. In my case it was a case, leave your phone and laptop on your desk and don’t turn around and speak to anyone (they also placed an embargo on the rest of the staff speaking to me socially)..

If it was me, i would go there with all of your work stuff, and tell them face to face that you are leaving for a competitor and let them make a decision there and then what happens. i would be surprised if they did not say bugger of, but make sure you are still contactable for the rest of your notice period..

Sui
    Free Member

oh, but almost defo, wait until you have a signed contract first. If your employer gets wind you “might” be leaving it could get very messy… Contract signed, then resign..

vanilla83
    Free Member

If it was me, i would go there with all of your work stuff, and tell them face to face that you are leaving for a competitor and let them make a decision there and then what happens. i would be surprised if they did not say bugger of, but make sure you are still contactable for the rest of your notice period..

This is precisely what I did and what happened. Parted on good terms and professionally. Good luck in new job!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I should say as I’ve been responsible for setting the strategy and creating the offering, it’s more my knowledge of the industry which I’m taking rather than anything tangible. I’m acutely aware of IP etc having worked for a corporate law firm previously

I’m just want to get it out in the open as I’m going to some meetings still which are sensitive and it doesn’t feel right being in them. Tempted to pull a sicky.

Sui
    Free Member

well you can always push your prospective employers on the contract stating that there is sensitive work coming up that could have a detrimental affect on their operations/margins..?

alfabus
    Free Member

No sicky, just work to rule on hours whilst not achieving much.

DO NOT BURN BRIDGES!

Dave

bigyinn
    Free Member

Check your contract with your current employer to see what the notice period you will be required to work. Whether they make you work it or not is up to them.
    Also, work out how many days holiday you have accrued for this holiday year and ask that they be taken into account, so you don’t need to stay there longer than necessary. If you’re lucky you may a get a week and you can finish the current job early and get some riding in.

Finally I wouldn’t let anyone (management or otherwise) in your current company know ANYTHING until you have the contract agreed in your hand. At the end of the day, your look after your own interests first, they will do the same, so make sure you get what you want out of it first and foremost.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just had word the contract should be with me tomorrow.

When you say signed contract – do you mean I’ve signed it or they have signed it and returned a copy to me?

davieg
    Free Member

Once you have received your new contract and are happy with it, I would suggest having a chat with your old Boss advising them that you have received an offer and are considering it.

It is more courteous for one, rather than slapping down your notice and could lead to a counter offer being proposed. Chances are, you are leaving anyway, but do it right and do not burn bridges. Those contacts could serve you well some day.

bigyinn
    Free Member

+1 for not burning bridges.
    As said, I’d be wary of giving any more than the minimum advanced warning to your current employer.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

davieg – Member

Once you have received your new contract and are happy with it, I would suggest having a chat with your old Boss advising them that you have received an offer and are considering it.

It is more courteous for one, rather than slapping down your notice and could lead to a counter offer being proposed. Chances are, you are leaving anyway, but do it right and do not burn bridges. Those contacts could serve you well some day.

As someone who has worked in HR and the reruitment industry for 20 years, and as someone who employs people, this is the way forward, and what I would advise. You are essentially giving your current employer the option to try and keep you, which they will appreciate, rather than just telling them you’re off. If you really don’t want to stay, thank them for any counter offer they may make, and proceed with your written notice.

stever
    Free Member

Get as much security and paperwork for the new gig in place and then a brief ‘Thanks, I’m off’ – mine was one sentence if I remember. Don’t burn bridges – I got this job from an ex-colleague somewhere I was made redundant from.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m all for not burning bridges but to me it’s a bit of a risk to entertain getting a counter-offer. Sure it might all work out but it could also mean you completely kill off the prospects of working at the competitor in future, you’ll probably not be trusted to the same degree as previously at your current place and there may be a senior person that gets vindictive and makes your current role crap.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I’ve had a long chat to my new employers HR team and they have explained that once the contract is signed, even though there are some checks (CRB and Credit) I should be fine – especially as I have a good credit rating and I’ve not been one to break the law.

Contract is apparently going to arrive tomorrow so will be handing notice in on Monday all being well 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Handing your notice in at work’ is closed to new replies.